• You cannot reply to this topic

Modified Jacoby 2N? Looking for a better system

#1 User is offline   deerhaven 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-August-15, 09:43

Does anyone have details on a modified Jac 2N response
structure?

I believe the one I want is something like this.

3C: any min except 5332 with no A/K outside, >3D: asks >
3H: shows void, then 3S: relays to ask again> 3S: shows
OM stiff

3D: any non-min with shortness, >3H: asks, >3S: shows
void, then >3N: relays to ask again, >3N (after 3H): shows OM stiff

3M: 6+ no shortness, non-min

3OM: 5422, non-min > next step: asks

3N: 5332 non-min

4C/4D/4OM: good second suit

4M: 5332 with no A/K outside

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-August-15, 10:46

There are a lot of them around. Marty Bergen has one that isn't too bad, buy his books or someone might type in in here.

I like the ETM victory method so much (see http://www.bridgematters.com/jplus.htm ) I not only play that, I have converted my opener jump rebid to show similar hand in support of responders major with essentially the same response scheme.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-August-15, 15:23

Search for "jacoby 2NT" or something similar here of BBOforum and you'll get lots of ideas.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2005-August-16, 04:20

I've studied most of the J2NT schemes around and concluded most of them are not good at all. Mostly because neither of them limit opener or responder's hand in a consistent and clear-cut way.

Still, the best scheme is probably that of Martel/Stansby. It's very precise and systematic, but, since it requires responder to have a GF hand, it never seems to come up.

#5 User is offline   reisig 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-August-16, 06:18

I like 2N to be limit or better (GF but non-slam is possible). Then the opponents don't have a "free" shot bidding at 3 level for leads or saves, since we may not bid game. Also opener does not disclose a short suit to make the defense easier. Opener's rebids are all artificial (exc 3 our Maj = worst). For slam hands (responder) uses a good 2/1 method to find out what they need to know. Opener has ways to show a slam interest hand and we can investigate from there.

#6 User is offline   mila85 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-August-16, 09:21

What do you think about this:

1-3 block
1-3x mini-spliner (inv+)
1-2 can be any balanced GF even with fit
1-2nt is 9-11 balanced with 4c fit or invitblock - good 6-9 (8-81/2 loosers ) with 4c fit

After minispliner
3 minimum, I don't like your splinter
4 some extra values (but I don't like your splinter) or minimum and no values in partner's suit
other is slam-try

After 2nt:

3 is invit (vs. weak unbalanced), ask shorness
Then:
3x shorness
3 club shorness
3nt balanced maximum
4x Hxxxxx or HHxxx
4 balanced mimimum

3 invit
Then:
3 balanced minimum
3 unbalanced
3NT balanced maximum

3 natural

3 no game interest

3NT pass with balanced hand or bid 4 with unbalanced

1-2NT is spade splinter and 1-2 is balanced invit/invitblock
Sorry, my english is not perfect :(

#7 User is offline   errline 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-August-16, 11:02

reisig, on Aug 16 2005, 07:18 AM, said:

I like 2N to be limit or better (GF but non-slam is possible). Then the opponents don't have a "free" shot bidding at 3 level for leads or saves, since we may not bid game. For slam hands (responder) uses a good 2/1 method to find out what they need to know. Opener has ways to show a slam interest hand and we can investigate from there.

So with slam interest responder would always 2/1? I'd be really grateful for a brief description of followups and of your 2/1 methods, though I understand if too complicated for this forum. :o

Although Bergen raises and Jacoby 2NT or some variant thereof are the de facto standard for younger 2/1 players here, a friend and I had rejected the idea of jumping with 4-card single-raises, and we also decided there is no reason that 2NT can't be limit-or-better.

An idea I got from this forum, as noone I know plays that method.

Recenty we were working out methods for it, similar to Mila85's, but with 2NT showing nearly all balanced limit-or-better 4+ card raises (even if slammish). We use Serious 3NT in 2/1 auctions, and it seems easy to meld that into this structure. With unbalanced hands responder would either 2/1 (with a good 5+ card outside suit) or would splinter (possibly with two game-going splinter strength ranges available).

We were trying to do something logical and simple expanding on the ideas of Serious 3NT and simple game tries that would work like this:

Opener and responder, with minimums, each attempt to sign off at the 3 level; other 3-level bids below 3 of our major show extras and are at least game try or counter-game-try fragments; and a balanced 15-17 opener would bid 3NT over 2NT; each side is required to give a courtesy cue if the other has not limited his hand; each can keep bidding to show slam interest and clarify previous bids, and each can sign off in game once slam interest is denied by partner.

#8 User is offline   coyot 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-August-17, 06:34

I like Hardy raises (but I know only some modified version):

2NT is any support, 16+
3 is limit raise with 3-card and shortness or 4-card without shortness
3 is limit raise with 4 card and shortness (minisplinter)
3 in other major is 12-15 with 4 card and shortness (minisplinter)
3NT is 12-15 with 3card without shortness
4 is 12-15 with 4+card and no shortness, promising 2 of AKQ in trump suit in 4card or 1 of AK in 5card
4 is 12-15 with 4+card and no shortness, denying the good trumps (0-1 of 3 tophonors in 4card, 0 of 2 tophonors in 5card.)

That leaves limit raise with 3-card without shortness (bid via forcing 1NT)
and 12-15 with 3-card with shortness (bid via 2/1 GF).

The only thing requiring agreement afterwards is how to ask for the shortness, but there is nothing too complicated in it (usually you ask with +1 and use NT or trump suit to show shortness in the farthest suit to save space.)

The simplest alternative I've played and liked was:
3card limit raise via forcing NT
4card limit raise or better or 3card GF via 2NT
3card with a really good side suit via 2/1.

After 2NT, 3M balanced minimum, 4M balanced, enough to accept 4card invit, 3NT balanced stronger (15+), new suit jump void, new suit non-jump fragment (promising a singleton in one of the remaining suits.

This seemed quite playable, but the approach of describing declarer's hand is not a good idea when playing against good opponents, so I switched to Hardy, which is basically suited to keep as much information hidden as possible, unless you really need it (promising SOME singleton, partner does not have to ask...)

#9 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2005-August-17, 07:01

In ETM Gold Premium, responder's hand type is narrowly defined to allow more bounces to 4M by opener. The structure is:

2NT: Limit or game going with 4+ trumps, if limit then a singleton/void, if game going no singleton/void and not 15/16+.

3: Constructive to Limit with 4+ trumps, if limit then no singleton/void.

3: 4+ trumps, either 0-5 or 15/16+ with no singleton or GF with minor suit void and/or great suit. If responder has 0-5, the opponents will let you know.

3M: 4+ trumps, about 4/5 to 7 - semi-preemptive but some values so opponents don't have a free ticket into the show (also 4/5 to 7 more frequent than super weak).

3OM: Singleton/void in OM.

3NT: Transfer splinter to s.

4: Transfer splinter to s.

1-4: Raise to 4 with some values and singleton .

1-4: Either completely bust raise to 4 or game going hand with spread out values that wants to make opponents guess which. 4 by opener asks which.

1-4: Minor suit void, with a raise to 4 (so some but not lots of HCP).

4M: Some values, usually not singleton if 4, no void minor if 4. Hand shape definition is to allow opener to know when to double or bid on if the opponents now come in.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#10 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-August-17, 13:12

Glen:

I have the "old" notes from your ETM/ Bridge Matters site on Jacoby+ where it says limit raise or better, or 16+. It's the 16+ that I am having difficulty understanding. Am/ was I correct in assuming that you meant a balanced 16+ like the old Baron 2NT, or did you meant a different type of hand. The rebids that you suggested should opener rebid 3C (wouldn't accept game try) are reasonably clear. However, the follow-up bids should opener rebid 3 diamonds or something else are quite unclear to me. Perhaps I am missing something.

I would appreciate it if you could clarify this, or have you scrapped the 16+ part of the convention, at least as far as ETM Tops is concerned? Thanks in advance.

DHL:
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#11 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2005-August-17, 20:03

Double !, on Aug 17 2005, 07:12 PM, said:

Glen:

I have the "old" notes from your ETM/ Bridge Matters site on Jacoby+ where it says limit raise or better, or 16+.  It's the 16+ that I am having difficulty understanding.  Am/ was I correct in assuming that you meant a balanced 16+ like the old Baron 2NT, or did you meant a different type of hand.  The rebids that you suggested should opener rebid 3C (wouldn't accept game try) are reasonably clear.  However, the follow-up bids should opener rebid 3 diamonds or something else are quite unclear to me.  Perhaps I am missing something.

I would appreciate it if you could clarify this, or have you scrapped the 16+ part of the convention, at least as far as ETM Tops is concerned?  Thanks in advance.

DHL:

The Jacoby Plus (referenced above in a post - thanks!) didn’t not have an upper limit – as Richie (reisig) notes it is better to put an upper limit on it.

In ETM Tops (and other versions of systems) we put the any 4-3-3-3 & 16+ hand type into the 2NT bid so that the opponents could not come in easily without risk of being doubled. The 2NT bid had no upper limit (if 4-3-3-3 or not) in ETM Tops, which was okay since we bid a lot of 1M-4M on game going hands opposite the limited opening bids. However the 16 was the lower limit for the 4-3-3-3 hands, given the opening bids started at 8.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users