BBO Discussion Forums: How do I make a game force support in partner's suit? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I make a game force support in partner's suit?

#21 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-October-10, 12:38

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-October-09, 08:50, said:

This was a question about Standard American. Isn't 3NT just a strong balanced hand in StanAm?

Yes, it's an opening strong NT hand if it is responder's first bid. As opener, it shows a solid suit and 9 tricks as long as responder's bid suit is a stop.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#22 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-10, 12:40

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-October-08, 15:05, said:

Here means I have slam interest even if partner is a minimum, and I don't want the bidding to die at 4-level. I just want a forcing bid to set trumps such that I can start cuebidding in the next round.

You need to abandon Standard and adopt a forcing club system if you want the kind of accuracy you are after - but a warning, even then you will have a whole new set of problems with which to deal, including memory work and opponents interference.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#23 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-10, 15:59

I can understand wanting to abandon Standard, but why exactly is strong club a necessity?

#24 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-10, 18:04

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-October-10, 15:59, said:

I can understand wanting to abandon Standard, but why exactly is strong club a necessity?

I have never played forcing pass so I can’t say. But the best relay systems I am familiar with were all Precision. Howard Schenken spelled out the advantages of the forcing club so I won’t repeat his views as my own.

#25 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-11, 02:58

Very clever, but of course I meant that a full relay system is sufficient but not necessary to solve this particular problem. I mentioned Gazzilli, 3NT artificial and a fake 3 before, all of which may prove adequate in this situation.

#26 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-11, 07:33

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-October-11, 02:58, said:

Very clever, but of course I meant that a full relay system is sufficient but not necessary to solve this particular problem. I mentioned Gazzilli, 3NT artificial and a fake 3 before, all of which may prove adequate in this situation.

Sorry if unclear. My comment was intended as a general assessment, nothing to do with the posted hand.

#27 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-11, 07:48

I think there are plenty of "80/20" rules that apply, where the majority of bidding problems can be solved without a major system overhaul. Suggesting people pick up a strong club system to improve their bidding accuracy over Standard sounds excessive.

#28 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-11, 14:47

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-October-11, 07:48, said:

I think there are plenty of "80/20" rules that apply, where the majority of bidding problems can be solved without a major system overhaul. Suggesting people pick up a strong club system to improve their bidding accuracy over Standard sounds excessive.

No one “picks up” a club system. That is part of the problem. Decent systems require partners who are involved in the memory work.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users