• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ethical?

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-01, 17:29

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-01, 11:44, said:

A similar scheme: You notice both opponents are thinking about what to lead to a contract, should you tell the one who is wrong that it is not his turn?

Wait a minute here. "You notice both opponents are thinking". Okay, I'm with you so far, but "about what to lead"? How do you know what they're thinking? Besides, as Sven says, the opening lead is supposed to be made face down. If the person not on lead does that, there's no problem. If he leads face up, IMO he needs a hard lesson in why he shouldn't do that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-March-01, 18:02

because people who are on lead think differently than people who are not on lead, the main difference comes when tey touch various cards with their action hand, but there are other issues probably that I cannot explain with words.

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-01, 18:29

You're stilling making assumptions about what people are thinking. Nobody can read minds.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-01, 18:47

"Is it ethical for declarer to wait to give opponent the chance to lead out of turn?"

This was the question in the original post.

As Rik points out "ethical" in this context means different things to different people, and for some the meaning is situational (what would be ethical in a tournament would not be ethical in a club game). I don't particularly like the concept of situational ethics, but leave that aside.

There is nothing in the rules of bridge that says you can't do this. So in the meaning of "ethics" that "the ethics of the game of bridge are defined by its rules" the answer to Fluffy's question is "yes". In the meaning of "ethics" that a bridge player would express by "I don't want to win that way", the answer is "no". Take your pick. For myself, I agree with Rik - at a club I would not do it; at a tournament I might, though I wouldn't wait long - not more than a second or two. The question you have to ask yourself is "if I did this, would I feel bad about it?" If so, then doing it violates your personal set of ethics, and that's probably a bad idea.

In the OP, of course, there was no question of declarer "waiting" - his RHO played quickly. Now we have a different ethical question: is it ethical to deliberately violate the laws of bridge (see my post #20)? My answer to this one is an unqualified "no". See Law 72A, in particular the first sentence.

Note: in the case at hand, there is nothing wrong, and in a club game a lot right, with calling the director for a ruling, and then asking him to waive the rectification (see Law 81C5). Of course, some players and directors will look at you funny if you do this - something about "wasting the director's time", which IMO is BS, because making rulings is one of the reasons the director is there. I think I would wait until the ruling is made before asking for the waiver, though. The main reason for that is so the the offender knows what he did wrong, so that hopefully he'll pay more attention next time.
--------------------

#25 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 18:53

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-01, 16:32, said:

But I definitely have a different set of ethics depending on whether I play with "the big boys", where only the laws count, or at a social tournament, where there are other things at stake than matchpoints.

My experience playing at the top level suggests that these players are generally more lax with the laws rather than less. For example, over the past week at one of Australia's top tournaments, there were about 10 situations at our table (both by the opponents and us) including exposed cards, two cards played at the same time, leads out of turn, and poorly worded but reasonable claims. In no case was the director called or any restrictions applied, and it did include an exposed card that might have allowed a doomed game to make in a close match.

The director was called a couple of times for things that were genuinely unclear, so it's not like they are simply ignored. But the letter of the law is often skipped over in favour of fairness.

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-01, 18:56

View Postsfi, on 2014-March-01, 18:53, said:

But the letter of the law is often skipped over in favour of fairness.

Under the laws of the game, the players are not the arbiters of fairness, the director is. It is in fact unfair to allow an infraction of law to which attention has been drawn to go without a director call.
--------------------

#27 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 19:04

Why is this question I the Laws forum when it concerns a game that does not follow the laws? The players were engaging in a private pastime, as mentioned above by another poster, and these forums are about bridge.

As to the questions out "deliberately waiting", well, no observer can ever know whether the declarer was doing that or was taking stock and thinking about what to do next. So no one can be faulted for gamesmanship, and I think that people have to follow their own conscience. On the other hand, the purposeful varying of tempo is illegal, so if a person admitted to doing it he should probably be penalised.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-01, 20:57

The thread concerns a game where, at a particular table on a particular hand, the players did not follow the laws. That alone does not make the game "not bridge". Now if we tell these players "the law says you should do such-and-such" and they reply (in words or practice) "so what? We're gonna do whatever we want" then the game is "not bridge".
--------------------

#29 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-01, 21:55

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-01, 20:57, said:

The thread concerns a game where, at a particular table on a particular hand, the players did not follow the laws. That alone does not make the game "not bridge". Now if we tell these players "the law says you should do such-and-such" and they reply (in words or practice) "so what? We're gonna do whatever we want" then the game is "not bridge".

You think maybe they didn't know the law? It would have to be the first time they ever saw a lead out of turn.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-01, 23:32

If I didn't think the question belonged here I would already have deleted the entire thread. I have not done that, nor am I going to do it. Draw your own conclusions.
--------------------

#31 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-02, 03:01

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-01, 16:32, said:

I am afraid that your honest opinion does not count. Please refer to a law. Laws count.

It is simple: for some, the game is defined by its laws. For others, there is more than that. For again others, like me, it depends on the kind of game.

To give you some peace of mind: I don't think that I would ever - at any kind of competition - would wait for an opponent's lead out of turn. But I definitely have a different set of ethics depending on whether I play with "the big boys", where only the laws count, or at a social tournament, where there are other things at stake than matchpoints.

Rik

Just read (and understand) Law 74!

We often nickname it "the most important Law in the book".

#32 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-March-02, 04:18

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-01, 18:47, said:

Note: in the case at hand, there is nothing wrong, and in a club game a lot right, with calling the director for a ruling, and then asking him to waive the rectification (see Law 81C5). Of course, some players and directors will look at you funny if you do this - something about "wasting the director's time", which IMO is BS, because making rulings is one of the reasons the director is there. I think I would wait until the ruling is made before asking for the waiver, though. The main reason for that is so the the offender knows what he did wrong, so that hopefully he'll pay more attention next time.

Would you do that also if you were dummy and partner wanted to waive it? :), I find it harder to involve myself on this things when I am dummy.

Regarding this kind of games, I sometimes feel like going once with a director as partner and call director for every irregularity, my best guess is that we would call an average 3 times per deal, the most common would be for would you show me that card again?

Director would hate us by the third round when we call him beause an old lady has put a 4th pass when the bidding was over already. And the old ladies would hate us as well.

Perhaps instead of destroying everyone's fun and slowing down the tournament dramatically, we could go there just with a paper with some rules numbered and start chalking down ticks as opponents start to break rules.

#33 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-02, 05:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-01, 18:29, said:

You're stilling making assumptions about what people are thinking. Nobody can read minds.

Bridge players constantly gain advantage from reading their opponents' mind.
Why are we supposed to think they turn off that part of the brain whenever we are discussing laws and rulings?

I understand it is hard to legislate the ethical aspects of bridge. (Say I notice that my RHO is completely disinterested, so I correctly conclude that he has no tricks coming, and suspect that my LHO should have been able to come to the same conclusion, and that he gained advantage from using this UI. How is a TD supposed to determine the facts if I called him to the table - even if he trusts my table feel?)
But pretending that part of bridge does not exist at all is the most idiotic solution.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#34 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-02, 10:15

View Postpran, on 2014-March-02, 03:01, said:

Just read (and understand) Law 74!

Please enlighten me.

Where in Law 74 does it say that taking advantage of your opponent's mistake is unethical?
Where in Law 74 does it say that anticipating an infraction by an opponent is unethical? Mind you, to me a mention of anticipating any infraction is fine with me since law 74 mentions a lot of examples.
Where in law 74 does it say that you are not allowed to let an opponent commit an irregularity by the opponents, if you could prevent him from doing that?

It doesn't say these things anywhere.

You are reading (and understanding) things that simply aren't there...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#35 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-March-02, 10:41

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-01, 18:29, said:

There are many opponents who would never think about anything when they know that it's their partner's lead. Against these people you need no psychic abilities to know what's going on.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#36 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-02, 10:44

View Postpran, on 2014-March-02, 03:01, said:

We often nickname it "the most important Law in the book".

I agree that it is one of the most important laws in the book. And it is important to understand this law.

View Postpran, on 2014-March-01, 09:26, said:

Ethics are the same at all levels of bridge.

Indeed. But that doesn't mean that ethical behavior is the same at all levels of bridge.

One of the key things that this law does: It makes what constitutes ethical behavior depend on the other players. "Don't interfere with other player's enjoyment of the game." One of the consequences is that what is an infraction of Law 74 at a high level game may not be an infraction at the club, and vice versa.

To give a simple example:
Think of a high level team tournament, deciding on the national championship. A total of 12 boards to be played in the half. 6 have been played, 6 to go. Now an opponent takes out his wallet / her purse and starts showing pictures of the grandchildren. I would probably call the TD, tell him what happened and suggest to him that I consider it an infraction of 74A2 to do this in between boards, breaking my concentration and wasting time.

Now think of the same thing happening at the local club. If I would call the TD for something like that at the local club, I would be the one violating Law 74A2.

At a high level game, the players get their satisfaction and pleasure out of the fierce competition. They are concentrated and focused to make less mistakes than the opponents. A player cannot claim that an opponent who allowed him to make a mistake or commit a costly infraction interfered with his enjoyment of the game. The player made the mistake or committed the infraction himself, and he (and he alone!) is responsible for that. Top players know that.

Aunt Milly would be saddened and shaken up for committing the infraction. Not because it will cost her points (she rarely scores over 45% anyway), but because it disrupts the game and now John needs to come over and fix things, and she never knows what to do when she violated the laws, but probably apologizing to the opponents and partner would be a good start.

I think it is pretty clear that these are two completely different mindsets, meaning that entirely different things will "interfere with a player's enjoyment of the game". This means that actions that are fine (or even encouraged) at one game (showing pictures of grandchildren) may be clear violations of Law 74 somewhere else.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#37 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-02, 11:36

View Postpran, on 2014-March-01, 09:26, said:

Ethics are the same at all levels of bridge.

Deliberately and silently waiting for an opponent to lead out of turn because you notice that he has pointed his last quitted card his way instead of your way is in my honest opinion disgusting and reveals a player lacking every sense of ethics.

Slightly off-topic, but tangential to this: If you notice an opponent has placed a trick the wrong way, do you point this out immediately, or do you leave him thinking his side has won one more/fewer tricks until the end of the hand?

#38 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-02, 12:53

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-02, 10:15, said:

Please enlighten me.

Where in Law 74 does it say that taking advantage of your opponent's mistake is unethical?
Where in Law 74 does it say that anticipating an infraction by an opponent is unethical? Mind you, to me a mention of anticipating any infraction is fine with me since law 74 mentions a lot of examples.
Where in law 74 does it say that you are not allowed to let an opponent commit an irregularity by the opponents, if you could prevent him from doing that?

It doesn't say these things anywhere.

You are reading (and understanding) things that simply aren't there...

Rik

The way I understand Law 74 it is absolutely unacceptable to in any way influence an opponent to commit an irregularity, neither directly nor as a consequence of another irregularity.

Apparently you do not understand this.

#39 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-02, 13:07

View PostEricK, on 2014-March-02, 11:36, said:

Slightly off-topic, but tangential to this: If you notice an opponent has placed a trick the wrong way, do you point this out immediately, or do you leave him thinking his side has won one more/fewer tricks until the end of the hand?

If I notice that he apparently is about to lead out of turn because of an incorrect comprehension that he won the last trick I certainly take steps to stop him. How he keeps track of tricks won and lost is none of my business.

#40 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-02, 13:31

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-02, 04:18, said:

Would you do that also if you were dummy and partner wanted to waive it? :), I find it harder to involve myself on this things when I am dummy.

Regarding this kind of games, I sometimes feel like going once with a director as partner and call director for every irregularity, my best guess is that we would call an average 3 times per deal, the most common would be for would you show me that card again?

Director would hate us by the third round when we call him beause an old lady has put a 4th pass when the bidding was over already. And the old ladies would hate us as well.

Perhaps instead of destroying everyone's fun and slowing down the tournament dramatically, we could go there just with a paper with some rules numbered and start chalking down ticks as opponents start to break rules.

I'm not sure I understand the question. If I were dummy, the director were called, and my partner asked him to waive the rectification (or penalty, or both) I'd just keep my mouth shut. If I thought a waiver should be requested, and my partner didn't do so, I would.

If someone asks me to show my quitted card (on the current trick) again, I would do so unless she has quitted her card on this trick, in which case I would say "sorry, that's not legal". If she wants to call the TD, that's up to her.

If you don't want to call the director for an irregularity, don't call attention to it. If someone else calls attention to it, call the director - and blame the other player for the call. B-)

I have, from time to time, tracked the infractions at my table in a club game, purely for my own interest. Other than that reason, it's a waste of time.
--------------------

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users