Ethical?

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-01, 00:41

Match points.

Declarer plays 4,

LHO leads AK before leading a diamond. Declarer puts Q in dummy and ruff K in hand.

RHO puts the card as a winner.

At the table RHO returned A quickly and was instructed that it is not her turn to lead picking it up and scoring it later, but then I wondered, in a better tournament where rules are followed is it ethical for declarer to wait to give opponent the chance to lead out of turn?

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 01:49

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-01, 00:41, said:

Match points.

Declarer plays 4,

LHO leads AK before leading a diamond. Declarer puts Q in dummy and ruff K in hand.

RHO puts the card as a winner.

At the table RHO returned A quickly and was instructed that it is not her turn to lead picking it up and scoring it later, but then I wondered, in a better tournament where rules are followed is it ethical for declarer to wait to give opponent the chance to lead out of turn?

"for that purpose"?

NO, definitely not.

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 03:36

Ethics are complicated, because they consist of three components:
  • What the Laws say
  • What a person with integrity would do
  • What everybody thinks that a person with integrity would do

1) I don't see anything in the Laws that prevents you from gaining from an error by the opponents (thinking that he won the trick). Whether the error is indicated by an irregularity (quitting the trick in the wrong way) is irrelevant.
2) Is, unfortunately, an individual choice
3) Is somewhat unpredictable when you are at the table.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-01, 03:44

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-01, 03:36, said:

Ethics are complicated, because they consist of three components:
  • What the Laws say
  • What a person with integrity would do
  • What everybody thinks that a person with integrity would do

1) I don't see anything in the Laws that prevents you from gaining from an error by the opponents (thinking that he won the trick). Whether the error is indicated by an irregularity (quitting the trick in the wrong way) is irrelevant.
2) Is, unfortunately, an individual choice
3) Is somewhat unpredictable when you are at the table.

Rik

How do you consider:

Law 74C said:

The following are examples of violations of procedure:
7. varying the normal tempo of bidding or play for the purpose of disconcerting an opponent.

I say that delaying your lead to the next trick for the purpose of giving an opponent the chance to lead out of turn is a violation of procedure.

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 04:13

View Postpran, on 2014-March-01, 03:44, said:

How do you consider:

The following are examples of violations of procedure:
7. varying the normal tempo of bidding or play for the purpose of disconcerting an opponent.

I say that delaying your lead to the next trick for the purpose of giving an opponent the chance to lead out of turn is a violation of procedure.

We didn't vary our normal tempo for the purpose of disconcerting an opponent. The opponent was already disconcerted. It is entirely legal to leave a disconcerted opponent disconcerted. There is no law that states that you need to help out a disconcerted opponent and "reconcert" him.

So, this example in this Law doesn't apply.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 04:36

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-01, 00:41, said:

At the table RHO returned A quickly and was instructed that it is not her turn to lead picking it up and scoring it later

Why was it not a penalty card?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-01, 04:40

If you're desperate to win at all costs..........why not.
I wouldn't though.

Besides it's pointless because A will be wrong unless you find yourself sitting in a beginners class.

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 05:23

View Postgordontd, on 2014-March-01, 04:36, said:

And why was declarer not allowed to accept the lead out of turn (Law 53)?

The answer is implicit in the OP: It was not a "better tournament".

Rik

#9 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-01, 05:39

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-01, 04:13, said:

We didn't vary our normal tempo for the purpose of disconcerting an opponent. The opponent was already disconcerted. It is entirely legal to leave a disconcerted opponent disconcerted. There is no law that states that you need to help out a disconcerted opponent and "reconcert" him.

So, this example in this Law doesn't apply.

Rik

This what really worries me with many players today: They forget that bridge is a game for gentlemen and ladies and use every opportunity to win at any cost.

If a gentleman is aware that an opponent apparently (incorrectly) believes he won the trick that gentlemnan will not wait and hope for the opponent to commit a lead out of turn, he will immediately call attention that "it was not your trick".

A comment to gordontd: Once the A is led out of turn (and this lead is not accepted) then that card shall of course be ruled a major penalty card, the consequence of which should be contract won with 11 tricks.

However, what occurred at this table was obviously not bridge played according to the rules but rather some private pastime.

#10 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-01, 05:42

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-01, 05:23, said:

And why was declarer not allowed to accept the lead out of turn (Law 53)?

The answer is implicit in the OP: It was not a "better tournament".

Rik

A decent declarer should see that by not accepting the lead out of turn he will win all remaining tricks for a total of 11.

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 06:02

View Postpran, on 2014-March-01, 05:42, said:

A decent declarer should see that by not accepting the lead out of turn he will win all remaining tricks for a total of 11.

That is no reason not to offer him to accept it.

A "gentleman declarer" (see your previous post) might even chose to do so.

Rik

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 06:15

View Postpran, on 2014-March-01, 05:39, said:

This what really worries me with many players today: They forget that bridge is a game for gentlemen and ladies and use every opportunity to win at any cost.

If a gentleman is aware that an opponent apparently (incorrectly) believes he won the trick that gentlemnan will not wait and hope for the opponent to commit a lead out of turn, he will immediately call attention that "it was not your trick".

Of course, and in tennis you are not allowed to hit hard.

So, in practice, it varies what is considered ethical. At the local bridge club, bridge is a social game for ladies and gentlemen. For a lady or gentleman it would indeed be a shocking suggestion to try to take advantage of a disconcerted opponent.

Once you get to a highly competitive level, the aim is to be smarter than the opponent. The game is defined by the Laws. Obviously, you are still behaving nicely and try to make it an enjoyable time for everyone, because the Laws tell you to. But they do not tell you to prevent an opponent from doing something silly. Bridge is a game of making as few mistakes as possible, or at least making less than the opponents. This means that you allow opponents to make their mistakes. At that level, there is nothing unethical about this.

This is far from the same as trying to win at all cost. There is no cheating, there are no dirty tricks trying to distract the opponent, no kicking under the table. It is only allowing the opponents to make a mistake.

Rik

#13 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2014-March-01, 08:31

I would do my best to catch them before they play it...and I would feel guilty for a while if I never tried to stop it. That simple. Is it unethical? I guess not, but if someone needs to resort to this to win they need to just find a new game. IMO?
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#14 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-01, 09:26

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-01, 06:15, said:

Of course, and in tennis you are not allowed to hit hard.

So, in practice, it varies what is considered ethical. At the local bridge club, bridge is a social game for ladies and gentlemen. For a lady or gentleman it would indeed be a shocking suggestion to try to take advantage of a disconcerted opponent.

Once you get to a highly competitive level, the aim is to be smarter than the opponent. The game is defined by the Laws. Obviously, you are still behaving nicely and try to make it an enjoyable time for everyone, because the Laws tell you to. But they do not tell you to prevent an opponent from doing something silly. Bridge is a game of making as few mistakes as possible, or at least making less than the opponents. This means that you allow opponents to make their mistakes. At that level, there is nothing unethical about this.

This is far from the same as trying to win at all cost. There is no cheating, there are no dirty tricks trying to distract the opponent, no kicking under the table. It is only allowing the opponents to make a mistake.

Rik

Ethics are the same at all levels of bridge.

Deliberately and silently waiting for an opponent to lead out of turn because you notice that he has pointed his last quitted card his way instead of your way is in my honest opinion disgusting and reveals a player lacking every sense of ethics.

#15 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-01, 09:33

View Postpran, on 2014-March-01, 05:42, said:

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-01, 06:02, said:

That is no reason not to offer him to accept it.

A "gentleman declarer" (see your previous post) might even chose to do so.

Rik

Sure, TD shall offer offender's LHO the option to accept the lead out of turn, not doing so is a major TD error.

But it is up to LHO whether or not he will accept the LOOT and his reason for his decision is nobody's business. And:

Law 10C3 said:

When these Laws provide the innocent side with an option after an irregularity committed by an opponent, it is appropriate to select the most advantageous action.

so declarer is no less gentleman if he refuses to accept the LOOT.

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-March-01, 11:44

A similar scheme: You notice both opponents are thinking about what to lead to a contract, should you tell the one who is wrong that it is not his turn?

#17 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-01, 11:56

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-01, 11:44, said:

A similar scheme: You notice both opponents are thinking about what to lead to a contract, should you tell the one who is wrong that it is not his turn?

Why?

If they lead face down as they are supposed to then there is no problem at all, the opponent on the lead will stop his partner from facing his card.

But I have no problem with declarer preventing his RHO from leading after he has begun the act of leading.

However, declarer has no business interfering with either of his opponents thinking, he cannot know why that opponent is thinking until the thinking is followed by some action.

#18 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-March-01, 12:42

View Postwanoff, on 2014-March-01, 04:40, said:

Besides it's pointless because A will be wrong unless you find yourself sitting in a beginners class.

Really? Depending on the auction and his diamond holding, after "winning" his K East might reasonably think this is his one and only chance to cash the setting trick.

#19 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-01, 16:32

View Postpran, on 2014-March-01, 09:26, said:

Ethics are the same at all levels of bridge.

Deliberately and silently waiting for an opponent to lead out of turn because you notice that he has pointed his last quitted card his way instead of your way is in my honest opinion disgusting and reveals a player lacking every sense of ethics.

I am afraid that your honest opinion does not count. Please refer to a law. Laws count.

It is simple: for some, the game is defined by its laws. For others, there is more than that. For again others, like me, it depends on the kind of game.

To give you some peace of mind: I don't think that I would ever - at any kind of competition - would wait for an opponent's lead out of turn. But I definitely have a different set of ethics depending on whether I play with "the big boys", where only the laws count, or at a social tournament, where there are other things at stake than matchpoints.

Rik

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-01, 17:18

View Postgordontd, on 2014-March-01, 04:36, said:

Because once attention was called to it, all four players at the table violated Law 9B1, and the player who picked up his card (presuming no one told him to do so) violated Laws 9C and 10A.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users