• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So what's the deal with psyches? Broadly speaking

#21 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-25, 15:00

View Postwank, on 2013-October-25, 14:54, said:

3rd in non-vul is a cliche for a reason - all the other positions are big gambles. take notice of the opps' tempo and demeanour. you can often tell if LHO has a particularly fat hand.

We had a player that moved her lips while counting her points. When she got into the high teens 1/2 way through her hand it was go time.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#22 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-27, 03:00

View Postmr1303, on 2013-October-23, 04:35, said:

A lot of people go through a phase of this, normally as a junior. You grow out of it.

View PostCascade, on 2013-October-23, 05:21, said:

and hopefully keep the reputation

+1. For some reason I could not upvote the post. Perhaps he is a mod.

When assessing the benefit of psyching it is easy to overlook the benefits of developing a reputation for psyching which may reap dividends on hands that you do not psych.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#23 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-27, 07:48

View PostCamHenry, on 2013-October-24, 02:02, said:

One of my favourite psychs is a heavy weak 2 in 3rd seat. We're not (often) missing game, even if I have 12-14 HCP, and LHO sometimes gets too high and/or misplaces cards. Sure, it's not original - but it works when it happens.

I once made a weak jump overcall on a 17 count.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#24 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-27, 10:42

This thread brought back a memory of my favorite psyche by a partner.

White on Red pard opened 2nt in 3rd seat and I raised to 3nt on something like

J9x, Qxx, Kx, Axxxx

Opening lead was a diamond, he flew with the King, played the Q, tanked and flew with the Ace dropping the stiff King for 7 hearts 1 diamond and 1 club.

#25 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-27, 22:06

I think I get that one. If the opponents double, he can run to his hearts. If you try to transfer him to spades, he can pass you out. What was his plan over something like Stayman? Just play it straight and hope for the best?

#26 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 08:16

View PostAntrax, on 2013-October-27, 22:06, said:

What was his plan over something like Stayman?

Plan? Drop back 10 and punt.

It was the last or 2nd last match of a grueling round robin with both teams out of contention to advance. We were all playing for comic relief and the opps laughed as hard as we did.

#27 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-October-28, 08:24

View PostAntrax, on 2013-October-27, 22:06, said:

I think I get that one. If the opponents double, he can run to his hearts. If you try to transfer him to spades, he can pass you out. What was his plan over something like Stayman? Just play it straight and hope for the best?

I believe kenrexford once opened 1NT and rebid 2 over Stayman when he had a 6-card heart suit (the 1NT opening was not a psyche - the hand just looked like a 5332 15-17 count). The story then went that actually they played 3NT in a 6-5 heart fit: responder was only interested in playing hearts if partner had 4 of them.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#28 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-October-28, 12:37

View Postgwnn, on 2013-October-28, 08:24, said:

I believe kenrexford once opened 1NT and rebid 2 over Stayman when he had a 6-card heart suit (the 1NT opening was not a psyche - the hand just looked like a 5332 15-17 count). The story then went that actually they played 3NT in a 6-5 heart fit: responder was only interested in playing hearts if partner had 4 of them.

Well he didn't
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#29 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-October-28, 13:44

View Postgwnn, on 2013-October-28, 08:24, said:

I believe kenrexford once opened 1NT and rebid 2 over Stayman when he had a 6-card heart suit

I am doing this in robot tourneys all the time. LHO robot then helpfully leads my 6 card major, expecting his partner to have them.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users