BBO Discussion Forums: Six Foot Two - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Six Foot Two What is partner up to?

Poll: Ambiguous? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What is partner up to?

1. Western Cue-bid (7 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

2. Strong Spade Raise - Game Force (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

3. Strong Spade Raise - Forcing to 3 (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. His Pass is Forcing (13 votes [38.24%])

Percentage of vote: 38.24%

5. Pass is not Forcing (4 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Something Else (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-23, 04:45

Familiar partners, but first time playing together...so undiscussed. :blink:

You are responder...
What is partner up to?
How strong is he?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-23, 05:06

Partner has gf strength so his pass is forcing. I suppose some would bid 3 with a limit raise in spades but that is misguided - the 3 bid is overloaded enough already, and besides he shouldn't make an undiscussed bid with a hand that is suitable for an unambigous, natural call (in this case 3).

He might have 3-card spade support if you don't play support double. He could have a balanced 18-19 with two spades ad no heart stopper (or an anti-positional one) if you do play support doubles, but in that case he probably would have doubled 4. He could have either if you don't know if you play support doubles or not. In any case, he could have a strong 1-suiter.

If you double now he will probably pass although he might want to show a monster by using pass-and-pull. This will typically be a one-suiter with too little HCP strength for a 2 opening. Maybe something like Qx-(void)-KQx-AKQxxxxx.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-23, 08:26

He has a big hand of some type (perhaps BAL, perhaps with spades, perhaps with lots of clubs), and 3H is initially asking for a stop in hearts. You replied with 3S, denying a stop in hearts. Given that he hasn't doubled 4H nor has he bid 4S, chances are that he has the long clubs, but I suppose he could have a 17 BAL-ish or similar with no stop in hearts and not enough aces and kings to comfortably double 4H.

He might also have something like KQxx - Kx AKxxxxx looking for slam in spades.

It would help to see your hand - maybe that offers some clues?

ahydra

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-23, 10:04

3 was a general force, asking primarily for a heart stop. In my opinion, it was forcing to 3 and no higher. So, I do not beileve that partner's pass over 4 is forcing.

#5 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-24, 06:21

Responder's hand:

T9742
-Void
Q853
Q863
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-24, 06:40

I guess I would bid 5 with the hand shown. I'm not passing and I am not doubling, and I see no reason to bid my spades again. Twice is enough.

I don't see that partner can have spades. Over the 2 he could have bid 2,3 or 4. If he had only three he could have made a support double. If he had spades but with such strength that he also wanted to show a heart control then I can imagine him starting with the 3 but then the pass over 4 makes no sense to me. Cuing hearts and bidding 4 seems like a fine way to show a heart control, four spades, and a big hand.

So I think he has clubs and a big hand. I suppose I could bid a "pick a slam" 5NT, or I could just bid 6, my heart void should be useful, but I am a simple minded soul and will just show my clubs by bidding 5. If he can make six opposite this pile of stuff, he can bid 6.

I'm guessing that this hand is posted because it makes 6 or 7. And wasn't played there. Maybe I should bid more but really it seems there are a lot of losers. So I bid 5. Added: Also, since they have not played together before, partner absolutely cannot have spades. He simply cannot bid this way with a new partner when he has a clear way of showing spades. So forget spades. I bid some number of clubs, I choose 5.
Ken

#7 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-October-25, 21:06

Whether 3 is forcing 1 round or to game might depend on partnership agreement. I prefer GF - something on the order of 21 Support Points or 4.5 losers.
NT, s and s are on the radar screen. The on ehand we know partner does not have is 7 running s and pointed suit stoppers.
For NT, we have to decide whether 3 asks (Western) or shows a NT stopper.
I like Auggie Boehm's suggestion "1 Ask, 2 Show". With two unbid suits by our side, a cue bid shows a NT control.
So, 3 shows a stop and expresses doubt about if partner is interested in NT.

In the given auction, the subsequent pass by North is forcing and denies first round control of (North would double to show the A).
South should double with transferable values, and bid 4 with more offense than defense. Here I'd bid 4, though double might be right.

If instead you choose to play 3 as Western asking for a stopper, then the subsequent pass is forcing with no wastage.

(Here South might have missed a step. South has a perfect hand for either black suit. Perhaps a 4 control bid (void) instead of 3 would be what North wants to hear).
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-26, 14:25

View Postmasse24, on 2013-October-24, 06:21, said:

Responder's hand:

T9742
-Void
Q853
Q863

its tempting to bid 6 but out hand is too weak. I will only bid 5 this time.

3 = game forcing with long clubs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users