• You cannot reply to this topic

upside down

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-December-30, 06:07

I always hear that the image on your retina is upside down but 'your brain turns it right side up.' But does this make any sense? If I had seen everything upside down since birth, would I ever notice? Similarly, if red and green were interchanged in my brain for some reason, would I ever notice? My brain would simply make the correspondence between the word 'red' and the sensation of (what other people regard as red, but what to me seems like) green. Help from other senses, e.g. touch or proprioception do not seem to help, since (I think) the correspondence between the sense of 'up' and the visual 'up' is arbitrary and is just made at some very young age.

I found this article http://en.wikipedia....tual_adaptation but it doesn't seem to address the basic issue (of whether the brain does anything at all in the first place, i.e. without the glasses).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-30, 07:27

If the brain didn't reverse the image, it would be very noticable. Merely waving my hand in front if my face would look odd, moving it up while seing it go down etc.

With respect to colors, probably impossible to notice directly, but I wonder if the way different colors interact with each other would still work out. Especially given that light mixes differently than paint.

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-December-30, 07:32

Seems like you are saying that there is an intrinsic 'up' and 'down' in sight that is automatically correlated to the 'up' and 'down' from the other senses (or equivalently, an intrinsic 'up' and 'down' to all senses). In the example of the moving hand, it would be the up and down of proprioception and the up and down of sight. Basically what I'm asking is, is there an invisible up arrow attached to sight? I know I am expressing myself less than perfectly..
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-30, 07:35

If the image is reversed, the movement would be the reverse of what you felt like you were doing.

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-December-30, 07:40

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-December-30, 07:35, said:

If the image is reversed, the movement would be the reverse of what you felt like you were doing.

I understood the first time but I still don't understand why it is you are this sure about this. Why can't it be that someone sees everything upside down, simply relating (our) up to (his) down? The 'up' of proprioception to the 'down' of sight?
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-30, 09:29

There have been some well known experiments, in which individuals are required to use special spectacles/eyeglasses which flip/invert the image before it reaches the eye. So that, for a while at least, everything appears to the brain to be upside down to whatever it was previously accustomed. After a fairly short period of continous use (with associated confusion) the brain compensates and flips the image right side up again. Then, removal of the glasses flips the image upside down again, until after similar period of readjustment the brain compensates back again.

http://www.newscient.../eye-level.html

[EDIT] - sorry I see that the inital link considers this.
That being the case, I don't really understand the question.
All that the eye does is take an image and convert it into an electrical signal. Why should it matter what way up the image comes in? The signal just gets compiled like any computer program.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-December-30, 10:14

My question was: if I were to see everything upside down since birth, would I notice (and how do I know that this isn't the case)? The experiments prove that the brain is capable of suitably rotating (and even mirroring, apparently?) of visual information, but that still doesn't help me, because I don't know what 'suitable' is.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-30, 11:54

I don't think you would notice and in fact I think that up is an abstract concept that you have associated with the lower side o images in your eye. The colors are also an abstract concept, but as far as I know the brain doesn't know what red and green mixed form except from experience.

Experience is the key, I read that (people living on the pole) have 27 or so scales of white, you first name it, then you learn to recognice and differentiate it from similar ones.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-30, 12:05

I've always had the same reaction as gwnn to this statement. The brain just needs to correlate retinal neurons with real-world orientation, and it learns early on from experience how they relate. Why should it care whether the physical location of the neuron is the same as that of the object being seen?

And as pointed out from that experiment, it can even unlearn the original orientation and learn a new one in a matter of days.

#10 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-30, 15:17

If my retinas didn't do this, would deuces seem high to me?

Gwnn is my favorite poster :)
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#11 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-December-30, 20:53

Very interesting.

btw I read somewhere that for most of human life we did not have names or understand different colors.

think about that for human history we did not know most colors.

I should try and find some references that explains this better.

edit:

Benoit Mandelbrot discovered what is now called the M-Set in the early seventies and coined the term ... The Colors of Infinity

This may not be the most clear.....but at least a start.

#12 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 09:56

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-December-30, 15:17, said:

Yes, I think so - but you would expect the lowest card to win the trick, so deuces still wouldn't be as useful as aces.....

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-14, 11:11

View PostWellSpyder, on 2013-January-14, 09:56, said:

Yes, I think so - but you would expect the lowest card to win the trick, so deuces still wouldn't be as useful as aces.....

This reminds me of a hand at the club Christmas party once -- after the auction, the rank of the cards changed. To alphabetical order. It was a real challenge figuring out who'd won a given trick.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-March-02, 04:09

vsauce is reading BBF:
https://www.youtube....h?v=evQsOFQju08
      George Carlin

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-March-05, 08:58

View Postmike777, on 2012-December-30, 20:53, said:

btw I read somewhere that for most of human life we did not have names or understand different colors.

Take a look at some old episodes of QI (or buy the book). One of the "quite interesting" tidbits is that the ancient Greeks described the colour of the sky was the same as the metal bronze (colour was more like we would call tone). It also explains that colours are added to almost every language in the same order, although I cannot remember what the order actually is. Some lesser developed languages are missing colours that most cultures would take for granted.
(-: Zel :-)

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-05, 09:11

There's a TV show called "Switched at Birth", about a pair of families whose daughters were (you guessed it) switched in the hospital, and they discovered the switch when they were in high school. One of the girls became deaf as an infant, and much of the story takes place within the deaf community.

The thing that's relevant to this thread is that a few episodes ago, the deaf girl made an intentional pun when talking to a deaf friend. And last night, a bunch of deaf students were rapping, with lines that rhymed. I wondered how deaf people would know about auditory puns and rhymes. They can recognize the cases where the words (or final syllables) have the same spelling, but would they see that "tough" and "buff" rhyme? The lead dead girl has learned to speak, so I suppose she would, but many of the other deaf characters only seem to sign.

They were also putting on a performance of Romeo and Juliet in ASL. When the characters are signing, the show puts up subtitles with translations, and they used the archaic English style of Shakespeare. Does ASL actually have words for "thee" and "thou", which fell into disuse long before ASL was developed? I wonder if they were spelling all these old fashioned words out.

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-March-05, 13:56

They might well have been spelling them out — ASL does have that capability.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-05, 14:48

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-December-30, 15:17, said:

This would explain why some of the people I play poker against do the things they do.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-06, 05:31

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-March-05, 13:56, said:

They might well have been spelling them out — ASL does have that capability.

I know that it does, although I assumed that it's only used sparingly, as a last resort. With all the archaic language in a Shakespeare play, it seems like it would drown in it, and obscure the poetry of the language. Does anyone know if ASL has a sign for "wherefore"? Or did she simply use the sign for "why" (thus avoiding the common misunderstanding that many modern people have about the most famous line in the play)?

I suppose it's not much different from translating Shakespeare into other languages. When his plays are performed in other languages, do the translators deliberately use old forms of the language, to give the same sense that it's from another period?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users