BBO Discussion Forums: What is wit? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What is wit? Anecdote & low level philosophy

#1 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2013-March-03, 02:48

We all know that brevity is the very soul of wit.

I think wit can also be sharp, even cruel. It has to surprise,perhaps shock.

It almost certainly has to be spontaneous. The French have a phrase "the wisdom of the staircase": this means the witty remark you only think of as you descend the staircase after your meeting/conversation has ended.

I know of two possible approaches. The first,which I call the Bob Hope approach is to have an armoury of witty sayings and trot these out on suitable(?) occasions. I was once quite shocked to hear him tell the archbishop of Dublin to "Vamoose peasant".

My own approach is much more dangerous and involves blurting out involuntary remarks with no prior consideration. In fact I don't even know what I am going to say. Example, many years ago I attended a discussion of new tax laws which would relieve Australian life assurance companies of all taxes,income & capital gains. At the end of the discussion I heard myself saying "Oh well, there's only two things certain in this life: death and taxes". For a horrible moment I wondered if I'd said something truly half-witted but luckily my colleagues started to laugh. Perhaps this means inappropriate statements can pass as wit.

One of our past Prime Ministers was my role model for wit. In an interview he got away with the priceless "No,no, I did not say I was a good prime minister, I only said I was the best prime minister, Australia ever had." He could have prepared this in advance but he was consistently witty

Have you any anecdotes or views to share?

This post has been edited by Scarabin: 2013-March-03, 20:48

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-03, 03:14

wit is hard
dont give up.

We, Me, yearn for more of it.

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein

---

I find many wit find Christ an easy target, insert Muslim.. none.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-03, 03:53

Wit and pith go hand in hand.

Unless you have a lisp.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-03, 07:06

I dunno if I have any views, but one of my favorites: Dorothy Parker was told that Calvin Coolidge had died. She responded "How could they tell?".

Another bit about Coolidge I just read recently: President and Mrs. Coolidge were on an agricultural tour. Mrs. Coolidge was looking at a large number of chickens and asked how often roosters copulate. "Several times a day". "Please tell Mr. Coolidge". So they did. "Always with the same hen?". "No, with several different hens". "Go tell Mrs. Coolidge".
Ken

#5 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-03, 20:50

Have edited my OP to better reflect what I meant to say. Not exactly a triumph of wit?

#6 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-03, 22:52

I consider myself a wit. My friends say I'm half right.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-04, 10:50

View PostScarabin, on 2013-March-03, 02:48, said:

My own approach is much more dangerous and involves blurting out involuntary remarks with no prior consideration. In fact I don't even know what I am going to say.

This is called Tourette's Syndrome, and I should be more concerned about it if I were you.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-04, 11:16

My favourite Coolidge story is the "You lose." one.

From Dorothy Parker, on the other hand, there are too many to choose a favourite.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-04, 20:28

View PostVampyr, on 2013-March-04, 10:50, said:

This is called Tourette's Syndrome, and I should be more concerned about it if I were you.

I wanted to upvote your post to applaud your wit but feared it might be misconstrued and encourage an undesirable trend. By the way your post is inaccurate: if you were me you would open a topic entitled "What is wit?".

It ocurred to me it might be fun just to report your post. What would the mentor do? Delete your post as personal and assure you that he does have a sense of humour, or try to convince me your post is funny. In the end.......

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-04, 21:08

View PostScarabin, on 2013-March-04, 20:28, said:

It ocurred to me it might be fun just to report your post. What would the mentor do? Delete your post as personal and assure you that he does have a sense of humour, or try to convince me your post is funny. In the end.......

Report it if you like. It was not intended to be funny.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-04, 21:26

View PostVampyr, on 2013-March-04, 21:08, said:

Report it if you like. It was not intended to be funny.

Your lack of manners amazes me. Are you sufficiently qualified to make these statements or are you just a miserable dried up specimen of doubtful humanity?

What a stupid person you are. Do you really think your little shafts of venom improve these topics?

If you were me or I were you, I hope I would have the good grace to commit suicide.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-04, 21:46

So you also type involuntary remarks with no prior consideration!

#13 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-04, 21:59

View PostVampyr, on 2013-March-04, 21:46, said:

So you also type involuntary remarks with no prior consideration!

Your lack of manners amazes me.Are you sufficiently qualified to make these statements or are you just a miserable specimen of dried up doubtful humanity?

What a stupid person you are. Do you really think your little shafts of venom improve these topics?

If you were me or I were you, I hope I would have the good grace to commit suicide.

These remarks have been considered in detail and fit you, and your posting record.

#14 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-05, 02:38

View PostScarabin, on 2013-March-04, 21:59, said:

When I read the first post in which this appeared, I thought he had just made a huge blunder while trying to be funny. Then I read the second post.

This has got to be the worst post of the year. Truly a disgusting, shameful thing to post.

I gather that Scarabin is not exactly a youngster: I find it difficult to believe that he hasn't known families impacted by suicide, and, if so, then to even suggest to someone that he or she kill themselves is utterly grotesque.

Even if he posted in ignorance, it is appalling enough.

This warrants if not banning, then a suspension, at least imo.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-05, 02:55

View Postmikeh, on 2013-March-05, 02:38, said:

When I read the first post in which this appeared, I thought he had just made a huge blunder while trying to be funny. Then I read the second post.

This has got to be the worst post of the year. Truly a disgusting, shameful thing to post.

I gather that Scarabin is not exactly a youngster: I find it difficult to believe that he hasn't known families impacted by suicide, and, if so, then to even suggest to someone that he or she kill themselves is utterly grotesque.

Even if he posted in ignorance, it is appalling enough.

This warrants if not banning, then a suspension, at least imo.

I'm not proud of these posts and I would be happy to delete posts #7 & #9 to #13. However I suggest you consider: have you encountered Tourette's syndrome, and perhaps you should re-read and comprehend what I actually said: that in certain circumstances I would kill myself. Other than this be "holier than thou" as much as you like. It must be a rare experience for you.

#16 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-05, 02:57

View Postmikeh, on 2013-March-05, 02:38, said:

When I read the first post in which this appeared, I thought [s]he had just made a huge blunder while trying to be funny. Then I read the second post.

This has got to be the worst post of the year....

I must admit those were almost exactly my thoughts on reading vampyr's contributions to this thread...

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-05, 02:59

ahh the wisdom of the staircase, not on;y it is painy to realice what you should had said when it is too late, it is also painy to realice you are not going to have 12 years old again, so finding out the answer is not going to help you ever.

#18 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2013-March-05, 07:12

My wife brought a movie home from the library: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Since it is a scriot it doesn't count as spontaneous wit but I liked the following:

A young couple is trying to get the wife's mother to spend more time (she spends a lot already0 with the grandkids and suggests that all she, the mother, is doing otherwise is looking for a new husband.

Husband: How many husbands have you had anyway?
Mother-in-law: Including my own?

The move is far more than a collection of one-liners and I recommend it.,
Ken

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-05, 08:55

I thought Vampyr's comment was meant to be sarcastic, but since it seems to have started a flame war I'm locking the thread.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users