• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Over 1D

#21 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-12, 12:47

Maybe this is too aggressive but I think I would try 2D and hope to follow with 2S and then 3H. I don't want to give up on spades yet (maybe partner has xxx Qxx in the majors), I don't want to risk partner passing a nonforcing spade bid when we have a heart fit, and it seems like jumping in spades is a misdescription.

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-12, 13:38

View PostPhil, on 2012-September-12, 09:56, said:

I also posted this on Bridgewinners.

At the table, I decided to double. The opponents stay silent for the duration.

Partner bids 1. Now what?

This is becoming an issue eachtime when we are not sure if pd bid with 3 card or not, the suit we were hoping him to bid. When we have 4 card support + a decent suit of ours.

Perhaps we can invent a convention right here that says "DBL and then jump in a suit by doubler over pds weak response shows a hand stronger than simple overcall, 4 card fit+ 5+ natural suit. So we can bid 2 with this :P

And start with dbl and cue and then bidding our suit, with single suited hands that are way too strong (22+) to just simply bid suit after DBL.( i haven't encountered more than twice in last 30+ years a hand that fits in this category tbh, but other type comes way too often.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-12, 14:00

I think double is pretty normal in most places outside this forum. You need an agreement, but if I sat down opposite an expert with no agreements, I wouldn't expect him to play me for more than this if I double and bid.

When partner bids 1, I would just keep things simple and bid 3 to show primary support and invitational strength.

#24 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-September-12, 14:22

There's some secondary questions I would like to address here:

1. Does a cue create a GF?
2. Does a cue deny four card support? If it can show four card support, would it be GF?
3. Does 1 deny a primary heart fit?
4. What is the difference between a strong heart raise (3) and a cue followed by 3?
5. Does a splinter show substantially extra values than 4, or does one show a big balanced hand and the other shows some shape and playing strength?

I have my own opinions, but I would like to vet these questions.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#25 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-12, 14:35

I really dislike this hand, too little in our long suits, too many tenaces that need many entries to partner to work. I would overcall 1.

Over X and 1, I would just bid 3. Cue-then-3 is forcing for me.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#26 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-12, 14:42

View PostPhil, on 2012-September-12, 14:22, said:

\1. Does a cue create a GF?
Obviously not

2. Does a cue deny four card support? If it can show four card support, would it be GF?
If you have support it is GF MO, with 2 and 3 avaible you don't need a third way to show extras.

Yes, it is not forcing after all, but I would not put all my eggs in one basket here, if after 1 doubler insists on playing hearts I would let him.

4. What is the difference between a strong heart raise (3) and a cue followed by 3?
3 is not forcing

5. Does a splinter show substantially extra values than 4, or does one show a big balanced hand and the other shows some shape and playing strength?
splinter and 4 IMO show 5+ hearts, with balanced hands cuebid goes first to allow partner to play NT with 3343

#27 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-12, 14:49

View PostPhil, on 2012-September-12, 09:56, said:

I also posted this on Bridgewinners.

At the table, I decided to double. The opponents stay silent for the duration.

Partner bids 1. Now what?

I think 1 is forcing and I would do that, then bid hearts next round.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#28 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-12, 14:49

These are good questions. The only things I am sure of are:

1. 2 should promise another bid. If partner has five hearts and some values, he needs to be able to just bid 2 so I can describe, rather than have to jump around.

2. If I bid 2 and partner bids 3, I may bid 3 with only three card support. So one difference when bidding 3 immediately is that I definitely show four card support. Also, the immediate 3 commits us to taking nine tricks so I don't see how it can really be weaker than an invitational sequence that starts with 2.

3. Even though partner is limited, I doubt there are many hands with a shortage where I would jump straight to 4. Either game will be poor when partner is weak and an invite is enough, or slam will be good when partner has the right cards and we need space to find them.

#29 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-12, 14:54

BTW for the first decision I find it close, I think that 10 plays a role, with weak spades you want to encourage finding 4-4 hearts, but the better the spades, the less it works, and the more sense it makes to make a descriptive 1 bid.

I think that the bullets in the minors protect us very well from being tap and it pays to play in hearts even if partner is 2-4 in the majors. The drawback is that partner will think I have a better hand when I later bid spades myself, but tactically its better so in the end I like double better than 1, with KQ10xxx I'd go for 1 even when that hand is stronger.

#30 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-September-12, 15:10

View Postbillw55, on 2012-September-12, 14:49, said:

I think 1 is forcing and I would do that, then bid hearts next round.

1 isn't forcing.
Hi y'all!

#31 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-12, 16:43

I'd start double planning a minimum double/pull auction with the side benefit of having 4 hearts. When partner does respond 1H, I think I'm worth a cue-bid. Over 2 by partner, I might pull out 2 & see what happens next.
Chris Gibson

#32 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-13, 07:46

1. Does a cue create a GF?

1. Not playing standard methods. However it is quite playable for double then cue to be the equivalent of a 2 opening (big balanced or GF) and for double then jump cue to take care of the big 3 card raise hands. I think these methods are actually simpler to use for the vast majority of bridge players.

2. No but you would only cue with 4 card support when having enough for game.

3. Pretty much. I suppose if you had a hand with AKQJxxx and xxxx then it would make sense to suppress the hearts to show the spades; but normally you either raise or cue with 4 card support. I am quite surprised at the suggestion that 1 is forcing here.

4. A direct 3 is a strong invite. A cue followed by a jump to 3 is a slam try.

5. I think you can only splinter in the opponents' suit: (1) - X - 1; 4; also that this does not show extra values over a direct 4, only a different shape. With extra values, go via the simple cue. This makes sense since even a minimum game force with shortage would have play for slam opposite a fitting maximum for the simple response to the take-out double.
(-: Zel :-)

#33 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-October-02, 10:21

Epilogue:

At the table I bid 3. Partner passed with a trashy 5 count - something like Qx Q9xx xxx Jxxx. In hearts, he was able to establish a spade entry to hand to pick up AJ on his left. The pairs playing spades lost two hearts and a spade.

I never saw the recap so I do not know how many pairs got to game.
Hi y'all!

#34 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-October-02, 11:48

View Postbillw55, on 2012-September-10, 12:33, said:

The problem is partner passing it out with say, Qx QJx xxxx xxxx. Or xx Axxx Kxx xxx. Or something else that offers good play for game.

Or at least, that's what I thought the problem was, but maybe it's not after all.

Depends on your overcalling style, ours are up to strength (we WJO on many hands people would simple overcall) so we respond to them as we would to opening bids, the first hand is borderline, but the second (with a 13th card) is an easy bid in response to our 1 overcall which could be a lot better than this.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users