Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double Teams Pairing Strategy

#1 User is offline   zainmo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-23, 00:00

We have 2 strong pairs and 2 weak pairs in our double teams competition. How should we pair them? Put both strong pairs in one team or pair up a strong with a weak? If the latter, should both Strong pairs sit in the same direction or not? Maybe it is all random and I am just wasting my time over-thinking !

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2017-February-23, 12:27

View Postzainmo, on 2017-February-23, 00:00, said:

We have 2 strong pairs and 2 weak pairs in our double teams competition. How should we pair them? Put both strong pairs in one team or pair up a strong with a weak? If the latter, should both Strong pairs sit in the same direction or not? Maybe it is all random and I am just wasting my time over-thinking !

It depends on the strength of your opponents and the form of scoring.
If the event is cross-imped, then the individual teams of four don't matter, but putting your two strong pairs the same way will increase volatility, putting them in opposite ways will reduce it. So if you are stronger than the other team, you should sit your two strong pairs opposite ways round.

If it is being scored as two separate teams of four it's more tricky. I don't think it matters that much whether your two strong pairs are on the same team or not but the principle of the directions is the same. If you put the two strong pairs together they will win heavily and the two weak pairs will lose heavily; it perhaps feels slightly more random which win or loss will be bigger than if you mix them up.

Mainly what you want to do is put your strong pairs the same way as their strong pairs if you are trying to reduce volatility, and the opposite way if you are trying to increase it. This might be relevant if you have seating rights.

#3 User is offline   zainmo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-24, 03:16

Thanks! Might be able to leverage off the volatility aspect in future rounds depending whether we are ahead or behind.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users