• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Creationism of the left?

#1 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-13, 06:55

Original article - warning this quote is a long way down!

Dutch study shows rampant sexism in scientific community. Dutch establishment promises reforms, says they will push "gender awareness" on everyone involved. Outside observers
point out basic statistical error, actual results show no gender bias at all. Original authors say it doesn't matter and the Dutch scientific community is still sexist because grant review forms use "gendered language" like the word "excellent" which is apparently "male-coded". Dutch establishment says reform and gender awareness programs are "still a good idea, regardless of the paper's quality", and vow to push ahead. Why are we even bothering to do science anymore? Why don't we just write the only acceptable conclusion on a piece of paper beforehand and save however much it cost to do the study?

The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 07:01

Haha, welcome to the real World. I suppose theoretical phycisists don't have this problem so often, but I had something very similar in a recent drug trial I was asked to advice about. Really hard to convince people who have this "we know the drug works so it doesn't matter that our data don't show it" attitude.

But yes, "heerlijk" is a sexist term. You shouldn't call Germany "Germany" either, it is sexist as well :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 07:52

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-October-13, 07:01, said:

Haha, welcome to the real World. I suppose theoretical phycisists don't have this problem so often, but I had something very similar in a recent drug trial I was asked to advice about. Really hard to convince people who have this "we know the drug works so it doesn't matter that our data don't show it" attitude.

But yes, "heerlijk" is a sexist term. You shouldn't call Germany "Germany" either, it is sexist as well :)

I also came aross this in today's procrastination. Truly incredible. And not in the good way.

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 14:38

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-October-13, 07:52, said:

I also came aross this in today's procrastination. Truly incredible. And not in the good way.

I actually found it fairly entertaining. Spoofing woo is a tricky thing to do well.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-14, 07:32

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-October-13, 07:01, said:

If I will ever eat fruit in that Arab country, I will say: "I am eating a womandarine in Owoman." On my trip I will probably be accompanied by a galde (rather than a guy-de). I call on all BBF contributors to actively girlcot organizations that use these male-coded terms. I vow not to use chap-stick until there is a lass-stick on the market. ... I am still torn on the use of soup lad-els...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-October-14, 08:36

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-October-14, 07:32, said:

If I will ever eat fruit in that Arab country, I will say: "I am eating a womandarine in Owoman." On my trip I will probably be accompanied by a galde (rather than a guy-de). I call on all BBF contributors to actively girlcot organizations that use these male-coded terms. I vow not to use chap-stick until there is a lass-stick on the market. ... I am still torn on the use of soup lad-els...

Rik

How can I boy-cott?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-29, 05:10

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-October-14, 07:32, said:

"Probably" is clearly also sexist (should be "Promädelly") and perhaps we ought to use "maryet" rather than "market". "Use" is of course reverse sexist, so I think we should start replacing that with "rams" at least half of the time. For that matter BBF itself is obviously sexist - I suggest we re-brand the site BFF in the future.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#8 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-29, 07:32

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-October-13, 06:55, said:

Why are we even bothering to do science anymore?

Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it. -- Richard Feynman, sexist pig

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-October-29, 13:36

Much of Feynman's wit was grounded in truth. I have often explained to people that every mathematician I know chose his/her this profession because he/she enjoys the subject. People pay us because it is useful. It's a fine arrangement.

I am having some (well, more than some) trouble following this thread but if the claim is that ideology can trump reason on the left as well as on the right, I have no trouble agreeing to that. In fact I would insist that this is so. But there are degrees.
Ken

#10 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-30, 06:21

View Postkenberg, on 2015-October-29, 13:36, said:

I am having some (well, more than some) trouble following this thread but if the claim is that ideology can trump reason on the left as well as on the right, I have no trouble agreeing to that. In fact I would insist that this is so. But there are degrees.

There wasn't really a claim. I just thought it was funny, and about equally as crazy as creationism. Maybe more so, as creationism doesn't really impact on real life.

We also just had a petition at Cardiff university to no platform Germane Greer, led by a woman's officer who thinks Germaine Greer's opinions on trans-gender persons qualify as hate speech. Its getting a little hard to know who we are supposed hate these days. There I was thinking that Germaine Greer was a feminist icon and that the fact that Cardiff university has a women's officer is in no small part to her efforts on behalf of gender equality. Irony is dead.

Reported e.g. here <- my favourite article on the topic.

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-30, 07:24

View Postkenberg, on 2015-October-29, 13:36, said:

Much of Feynman's wit was grounded in truth. I have often explained to people that every mathematician I know chose his/her this profession because he/she enjoys the subject. People pay us because it is useful. It's a fine arrangement.

I agree. I often explain my work as "a sandbox for nerds who get paid to play there".

And why does society pay them? Because it is incredibly useful stuff. That is nice for the nerds, but they don't really care, they just play.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-30, 09:57

Confucius said: "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

I've been fairly lucky in that regard. The only time I really "worked" was when I delivered newspapers and worked for Burger King when I was a teenager. Once I learned how to program computers, my passion has aligned pretty well with what a number of employers have needed.

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-October-30, 10:31

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-October-30, 06:21, said:

There wasn't really a claim. I just thought it was funny, and about equally as crazy as creationism. Maybe more so, as creationism doesn't really impact on real life.

We also just had a petition at Cardiff university to no platform Germane Greer, led by a woman's officer who thinks Germaine Greer's opinions on trans-gender persons qualify as hate speech. Its getting a little hard to know who we are supposed hate these days. There I was thinking that Germaine Greer was a feminist icon and that the fact that Cardiff university has a women's officer is in no small part to her efforts on behalf of gender equality. Irony is dead.

Reported e.g. here <- my favourite article on the topic.

Germaine Greer! Now that's name I haven't heard in a while. I looked her up, she was born in 1939, just as I was. Same month, even, but I am a Capricorn and she is an Aquarius. That's probably why we never saw eye yo eye. <y first wife was an Aquarius.

Anyway, maybe she could kick back and relax a little? Long ago I realized no one cares what I think it means to be a "real" woman.
Ken

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-October-30, 18:28

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-October-30, 06:21, said:

We also just had a petition at Cardiff university to no platform Germane Greer, led by a woman's officer who thinks Germaine Greer's opinions on trans-gender persons qualify as hate speech. Its getting a little hard to know who we are supposed hate these days. There I was thinking that Germaine Greer was a feminist icon and that the fact that Cardiff university has a women's officer is in no small part to her efforts on behalf of gender equality. Irony is dead. Reported e.g. here <- my favourite article on the topic.
Whatever students feel about Germaine Greer's views, it's sad that they deny her the platform to defend them. Students should keep their minds open to ideas (PC or not). Public debate and dispassionate examination might improve their understanding and educate us all. Ignorance bolsters prejudice: Knowledge undermines it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users