• You cannot reply to this topic

If Only the Jack Was The Queen!

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-November-05, 06:01

so this hand came up on BBO last night p and opps are all good players

unfortunatley the spade Queen didn't fall doubleton.

I think maybe I over-valued my hand but I thought we have all the keycards and my Diamond holding is pretty good so why not bid grand!!

my question is, how can I/we bid this better?

Thanks,

Eagles

ps. BBO results: 7H - 1 (us)
3N + 1
6H =
everyone else 4h + 2 :D
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 06:21

First thoughts are: You surely have to cater to 3514s and 3613s (not to mention hands with diamond voids) before jumping straight to 7H. Thinking about the possibilities - well, you've nowhere enough power to make 6NT, so the obvious 6S is out of the question; partner would still sign off with the same hand but SQ instead of SJ if you bid 5NT; and 6C can't be right because with a singleton in your hand you don't give a damn about clubs.

So that leaves only one choice: 6D. Partner might get puzzled, sure, given he's already specified his diamond holding. But it's clearly asking for more than is shown already. Partner has to figure out why you're not asking about clubs and why you can't ask about spades and deduce somehow that he needs DK or SQ to bid 7. The former is fairly easy - you're implying the ace, so singleton DK is an extra trick - but the SQ is real deep stuff :/

On a simpler note you could go slower over 3D. Just bid 3H waiting and partner signs off in 4H with his minimum (sub-minimum, even, but he has good shape and aces so calling it sub-minimum is rather harsh). Now you can probably guess that grand isn't a good idea and just go via Blackwood to 6H. Of course if 3H demands cues then 4C-4D; 4H gets you to the same place.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 06:30

The 1H opener is not particularly to my taste - though most probably will open it. I also prefer a 4C splinter to Lebensohl, this will allow partner to be better involved in the conversation.

As it happens I think the contract can be made! Ruff clubs to isolate the menace against South and squeeze South in the black suits!

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 06:32

my hand is way too strong for a splinter

ps contract can't be made, GIB says - 1 on any lead
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 06:33

View Postahydra, on 2014-November-05, 06:21, said:

First thoughts are: You surely have to cater to 3514s and 3613s (not to mention hands with diamond voids) before jumping straight to 7H. Thinking about the possibilities - well, you've nowhere enough power to make 6NT, so the obvious 6S is out of the question; partner would still sign off with the same hand but SQ instead of SJ if you bid 5NT; and 6C can't be right because with a singleton in your hand you don't give a damn about clubs.

So that leaves only one choice: 6D. Partner might get puzzled, sure, given he's already specified his diamond holding. But it's clearly asking for more than is shown already. Partner has to figure out why you're not asking about clubs and why you can't ask about spades and deduce somehow that he needs DK or SQ to bid 7. The former is fairly easy - you're implying the ace, so singleton DK is an extra trick - but the SQ is real deep stuff :/

On a simpler note you could go slower over 3D. Just bid 3H waiting and partner signs off in 4H with his minimum (sub-minimum, even, but he has good shape and aces so calling it sub-minimum is rather harsh). Now you can probably guess that grand isn't a good idea and just go via Blackwood to 6H. Of course if 3H demands cues then 4C-4D; 4H gets you to the same place.

ahydra

thanks great advice

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 06:34

View PostTramticket, on 2014-November-05, 06:30, said:

The 1H opener is not particularly to my taste - though most probably will open it. I also prefer a 4C splinter to Lebensohl, this will allow partner to be better involved in the conversation.

Lebensohl? Do you mean Jacoby?

ahydra

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 06:36

View Postahydra, on 2014-November-05, 06:34, said:

Lebensohl? Do you mean Jacoby?

ahydra

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 06:37

Yes Jacoby

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-05, 08:28

View Posteagles123, on 2014-November-05, 06:01, said:

my question is, how can I/we bid this better?

Yes. Instead of

1 2NT
3 4NT
5 7

you could try

1 2NT
3 4NT
5 5NT (got any extras?)
6 (not really)

#10 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-November-05, 09:43

ahydra

Very neat. Yes I have read that after 4N key card a bid of 6 in a side suit asks for 3rd round control to bid the grand. As you say since a bid of 6 is out of the question, then 6 can be a substitute bid for 6 since the diamond shortage is already known. Great if a partnership has got that depth of inferential understanding. Very neat.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-05, 11:50

View PostWackojack, on 2014-November-05, 09:43, said:

Very neat. Yes I have read that after 4N key card a bid of 6 in a side suit asks for 3rd round control to bid the grand. As you say since a bid of 6 is out of the question, then 6 can be a substitute bid for 6 since the diamond shortage is already known. Great if a partnership has got that depth of inferential understanding. Very neat.

Yeh, I wonder if anyone thought of it before looking at this hand? That is how some of my agreements with T come about -- after the fact; and then they never come up again. Sometimes we try an invention on the fly; sometimes it even works. 6 of the Splinter suit is really neat, now. But, I probably wouldn't have thought of it then.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#12 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 13:05

The asking for queens is part of Spiral Scan after Keycard Blackwood, so if you're playing that, you would be golden. You would have to be on the same page about 6 being a substitute asking bid for spades.

#13 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2014-November-06, 04:43

View PostTramticket, on 2014-November-05, 06:30, said:

As it happens I think the contract can be made! Ruff clubs to isolate the menace against South and squeeze South in the black suits!

I absolutely agree that the culprit is the 1H open! That 1 point IS the difference between the J and the Q!!

#14 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 04:52

Or the W hand and the W hand with a J singleton or AJ8x etc.

#15 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 06:08

West's opening is suspect, but with my regular partner playing 2/1, I'd open 1 Heart as East. Not playing 2/1, I would pass.

With my regular partner, the bidding would go like this:

1H - 2S*

3C** - 3H***

4H**** 4NT

5H - 6H

All pass

*Partner, my hand is very strong, I have slam interest

**Okay. I have the Club Ace

***The trump suit is Hearts

****Partner, be warned, I have a bare bones minimum hand.

#16 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-November-06, 06:37

A matter of style of course but I think it is winning bridge to open all major suit 11 point 5431 hands with the exception of stiff honour, quacky or weak in long suits. This hand has aces in the long suits and 3514 is particularly good distribution to get you away in a possible competitive race.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#17 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 12:39

I love how a few people said the West hand is suspect for 1, though I know Goren would have opened that hand. I know, let's add the Q so it has 13 HCP, enough for anybody to open!
Oh wait, that hand can't make 7...

I know, let's add the K!! No wait, still not good enough, so I'll add the J!!!
Unfortunately, I then am only slightly better than a 50/50 chance, which STILL isn't good enough for bidding 7...

Eagles, your hand was very good, but you need to be able to count to 13 tricks before you bid that grand (70% minimum). You needed to find out if partner had the Q, the K, or the KQ, any of which is golden for +2210. I can tell you that I don't personally know of anybody who could find out that information. On top of that, most people short of experts never even THINK of bidding 7, so in borderline situations go low and make your 6 for a good result. As your situation illustrates, most of the field didn't even get to 6, because they couldn't even find out about partner's shortness and 2 KC, or just couldn't picture how to make 12 tricks.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#18 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-November-06, 13:44

Chase's post is spot on.

Note that the response to RKCB showed two aces and the trump queen. This certainly makes it less than likely the PD holds the specific high cards needed for a grand since he has the Q of trumps. I make my grand slam try with 5NT and find out that PD has no kings and then we stop sensibly in 6.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-06, 13:57

View Postfourdad, on 2014-November-06, 04:43, said:

I absolutely agree that the culprit is the 1H open! That 1 point IS the difference between the J and the Q!!

I assume you were joking. Would you also not open JXX AQXXX X AQXX? How about JXX AQXXX X AKXX?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#20 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 14:51

ahydra

Alternatively you can play Kickback where 4 is the key-card ask when are trump. After the 5 response (2 keys + trump Q), a new suit response (as in Kantar's books on RKB) asks for 3rd round control but 5NT substitutes for the suit of the ask. This would also allow you to bid the grand opposite hands like xx-AQxxxx-x-Axxx or xx-AQxxx-x-Axxxx.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users