BBO Discussion Forums: invitation or not? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

invitation or not? how strong is partners sequence?

#1 User is offline   luckyloser 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-16, 08:42

you hold vul playing mps:

KQxxx
KQxx
xxx
x

you are first and pass! (normally you open 12hcp-hands) p opens 1d, you respond 1s, p rebids 2c and you bid 2h. now p raises to 3h. opps pass

how strong is partners hand?
what are his possiblbe shapes?
what do you bid?

#2 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-16, 10:57

luckyloser, on 2014-March-16, 08:42, said:

KQxxx
KQxx
xxx
x

you are first and pass! (normally you open 12hcp-hands) p opens 1d, you respond 1s, p rebids 2c and you bid 2h. now p raises to 3h. opps pass

what do you bid?

Partner is FG
Shape is 0454 or 1444

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-16, 11:20

Partner is inviting game. Partner knows my strength; I need about that much to have bid 2H at all. I think partner, however, is expecting me to look at the location of my points and realize half of them are wasted opposite her hand.

I pass. If I had not passed initially, her raise of the 4th suit would already be in a g.f. context and she would not be sure I even had hearts; but, as a passed hand, I must have a heart suit ---so she doesn't need 3H as a forcing hedge.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-16, 12:16

Aqua: if 3H is inv, are you not about as strong as possible in context?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-March-16, 12:30

1eyedjack, on 2014-March-16, 12:16, said:

Aqua: if 3H is inv, are you not about as strong as possible in context?

I thought I explained that (from my idea of the context, anyway). My hand strength is known to partner by the mere fact that I bid 2H; I couldn't do that with less. The only issue is whether my known strength is wasted in the suit partner does not have ---spades.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-16, 13:07

Yes. I get that But I might try 3N

I wonder whether 2N or 3D might be better than 2H
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#7 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 05:46

I'm not sure why we are bidding 2H anyway. Surely most people play 4th suit forcing so why not rebid 2NT then we all know what we are doing. 2NT shows 10 to a poor 12 with heart stops so partner can bid 3nt. I guess your partner must have a spade void, 5d, 4c and 4h. If your partner really doesn't fancy 3nt then he can try 3h and you will bid 4h.

luckyloser, on 2014-March-16, 08:42, said:

KQxxx
KQxx
xxx
x

what do you bid?

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-March-17, 06:15

Regardless of 2H being natural or 4th suit, pard simply has support for hearts... 1444 or 0454.

Still, if bidding goes

1 1
2 ??

I think 2 now is a good bid. There are no fillers in the minors, our high cars are "soft values" and pard may easily have a mere 11-12 H. Alternatives 2NT/3 are also ok, though a tad more aggressive. 4th suit sort is ok if pard has 3 spades, but risks getting us too high if he doesn't have them.

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-March-17, 06:15

dbl post pls erase kthx

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-March-17, 11:15

whereagles, on 2014-March-17, 06:15, said:

Regardless of 2H being natural or 4th suit, pard simply has support for hearts... 1444 or 0454.

It surely does make a difference here whether 2 is natural or not. If it is natural then it is possible to play 3 is a simple invitational raise, even though Responder's strength is already well defined. If 2 is artificial then this makes no sense whatsoever and 3 must be game-forcing. I would be inclined to argue that an invite over a natural 2 does not make much sense anyway - just how finely do we expect Responder to split their 10 count between declining and accepting?

Absent any special agreements I am never passing here, and indeed I would not have passed initially so the hand is already a super-maximum.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-March-17, 12:27

I agree with Zel about the importance of knowing if 2 was known to be natural or 4th suit. I play 4th suit by a passed hand, altho not as gf. This, for example, would allow me to distinguish between club raises were partner's 2 to catch me a good club fit.

Assuming that 2 was natural, I would pass 3.

Agua's comment about value location is bang-on. This hand will play very poorly opposite most 1=4=4=4 invitational hands unless we are very lucky on the lie of the cards.

It won't play any better opposite a 0=4=4=5, which is a possible shape, and 0=4=5=4 isn't always a bargain either.

Imagine a reasonable hand such as x AJxx KQxx KQxx: this is a super-max, and some might prefer to jump to game here. We have only 3 top losers, assuming they don't establish a second diamond loser before we lead clubs, but we don't have anywhere close to 10 winners without a lot of luck.

Especially at mps, where we win by going plus more than by bidding close games, pass is clear.

I don't want to leave this topic without commenting on the post that suggested 3N. 3N is appallingly bad. Just consider some random 1=4=4=4 hands with 14 or so hcp, or some 0=4=5=4/0=4=4=5 hands with similar values. Yes, you can create some on which 3N has play, but only by being non-random.

If 2 were 4th suit forcing, then opener is showing significant extras: with invitational values he would bid 2N with all 1=4=4=4 hands and would swing low with a void spade and probably rebid the 5 card suit (or distort with 2N anyway). In that case, 4 is unavoidable but I wouldn't be surprised to see it fail on a trump lead. This hand is a classic illustration of the importance of location of cards, rather than the quantity of cards.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-17, 14:08

mikeh, on 2014-March-17, 12:27, said:

I don't want to leave this topic without commenting on the post that suggested 3N. 3N is appallingly bad. Just consider some random 1=4=4=4 hands with 14 or so hcp, or some 0=4=5=4/0=4=4=5 hands with similar values. Yes, you can create some on which 3N has play, but only by being non-random.

I think that the point is that if 3N is a dreadful contract then 3H is likely to be pretty awful also. At least 3N has the potential for a game bonus which 3H does not provide and 4H is out of reach. I suppose that you escape a double by passing 3H, and that also has to be taken into account.
I would expect to rebid 1N with 1-4-4-4 shape, and to me the 2C pretty much guarantees a 5th Diamond. If not absolutely guaranteed it is heavily odds-on.
I was picturing opener with about 15-16 HCP, and if the black suits are adequately guarded, as suggested by the S:KQ and partner's 2C bid, then the required balance of 9 tricks may be available in the reds.
If I have a combined 25-26 HCP and wasted values in the black suits all over the place, then you can theorise all you want but I am happy to take my chances in 3N.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users