• You cannot reply to this topic

Masterpoints Query

#41 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-March-08, 00:12

AHAH! The mystery is solved regarding Masterpoints.

Quote:
In some cases, the point awarding scheme is an important means of raising revenue for the bridge organisation insofar as they charge entry fees for each tournament where points are awarded and their availability acts as an incentive to participation; the more prestigious the points, the higher the entry fees.

#42 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 06:37

Cyberyeti, on 2014-March-04, 03:53, said:

The EBU is actually strict on master point ranks for some events. There is a pairs event each year which you enter based on your masterpoint rank. We applied to play at the rank our number of green (national) masterpoints dictated rather than our actual ranking which was lower because neither of us play much club bridge, but were turned down, hence we didn't play it for several years, only returning when we ranked up. Other events are less strict.

There is only the one event in the calendar (comprising several sections such that everyone could play in something) with minimum masterpoint requirements. It seems right if that's its basis (masterpoints earned rather than self-assessed ability) to interpret it strictly, with the only exceptions being for those with substantial master point records abroad, or those invited to play up to avoid a half-table.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#43 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-08, 07:47

eagles123, on 2014-February-24, 12:46, said:

I've been playing for about 35 weeks as a guest at my club simply because it's cheaper as a student and I really can't be bothered to pay out the membership fee. I have learnt however that any masterpoints I earn won't count until I become a member. I'm going to sign up so my partners points count (they requested i do so) but I have to say i couldn't give two hoots about these points and the ranking system. It seems to me just an attendance grade i.e. if you attend 1000000000 avents you're bound to rack up a few points? Am I wrong? Is there merit in the system?

Am I missing something here? I understand that if you play Bridge in England it is P2P and ALL the results from the Club Competitions are forwarded to EBU and Masterpoints are issued.

Also as it is P2P You are automatically a member of the EBU

Anyone from EBU care to Clarify this ???

#44 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 08:58

gordontd, on 2014-March-08, 06:37, said:

There is only the one event in the calendar (comprising several sections such that everyone could play in something) with minimum masterpoint requirements. It seems right if that's its basis (masterpoints earned rather than self-assessed ability) to interpret it strictly, with the only exceptions being for those with substantial master point records abroad, or those invited to play up to avoid a half-table.

It's not self assessed, you count gold points and allow some non premier grands into that section, why not just count greens ? When I had 300+ greens (enough for premier life) but not enough blacks to even be a life master, the thought of playing in the nationals really didn't appeal.

We got enough abuse as (perfectly legitimate) bandits when we won the lower sections 4 times including in the half table situation winning the section above the one we should have been in.

#45 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 11:20

No issue with cash prizes in ACBL Sanctioned club games, AFAIK

Can't find a more recent version but this one talks about prizes and pots and pools
2011 handbook

#46 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 09:59

Ah, I guess it's just betting that's the problem. I know there was an issue with the Calcutta that doesn't exist, because of the ACBL as well as some other governing body. I do know the big club here (sadly missed) used to run a magic pool; random score was generated between 55 and 65% (I think to the full masterpoint), and if someone got that score, they got the pool money - otherwise it accumulated to the next week. I can't remember if there was an extra dollar charged for the pool, or whether it was optional or not.

But I think there's something in the bylaws that says that the ACBL itself will not run games with cash awards. ICBW, I have been before.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#47 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 10:04

Oof Arted, on 2014-March-08, 07:47, said:

I understand that if you play Bridge in England it is P2P and ALL the results from the Club Competitions are forwarded to EBU and Masterpoints are issued.

Also as it is P2P You are automatically a member of the EBU

If you are a member of an affiliated club you are automatically a member of the EBU, but that is not the case with the original poster. However you are correct that masterpoints will be issued nonetheless, and if his partners are members they will receive them on their records even if he is not a member.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#48 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-11, 03:22

gordontd, on 2014-March-10, 10:04, said:

If you are a member of an affiliated club you are automatically a member of the EBU, but that is not the case with the original poster. However you are correct that masterpoints will be issued nonetheless, and if his partners are members they will receive them on their records even if he is not a member.

Is the middle portion strictly true? I understand that if you play, and you play in a P2P event (Club or other) then after you have played say 12 times you are Automatically deemed to be a Member of the EBU

#49 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-11, 04:56

Oof Arted, on 2014-March-11, 03:22, said:

I understand that if you play, and you play in a P2P event (Club or other) then after you have played say 12 times you are Automatically deemed to be a Member of the EBU

No, that's not correct.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users