BBO Discussion Forums: Acol or more general weak NT issue - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Acol or more general weak NT issue

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-17, 10:08

You open 1 (playing all suits 4+ cards intending playing a weak NT to rebid 1N), the overcall gives you an issue.

If you don't feel this is a problem and this hand is an easy pass (or 2 rebid), upgrade the small heart to the Q.

Do you rebid 1N anyway, stops are for wimps ? If you don't, what do you do ?

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-February-17, 10:13

A 1NT rebid does not absolutely promise a stopper and AKQxx is a perfectly fine suit for bidding twice if you cannot stomach that.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   DaveB 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-February-17, 10:13

When playing a 4 card major and weak no trump system,it is normal to play double as a flawed No Trump rebid in this type of auction.

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-17, 10:14

What would a double show in your system. I'm not normally one for stoppers, but this is one situation where I absolutely detest bidding NT without one. Great way to get to a no-play 3NT, while we have plenty of ways of getting to it later and more methodically.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-February-17, 10:15

Not so sure about that Dave - certainly NT doubles are the norm after a 2 level overcall but at the 1 level using this double for hearts makes a lot of sense.

#6 User is offline   DaveB 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-February-17, 10:42

Well, with (most) non minimum hands with 5 clubs and 4 hearts you have a reverse of 2H.
With minimum hands you have a pass.
So double to show 4H is VERY rarely required.
In the mean time X to show flawed NT solves this very common situation.

It does not deny 4H so you may very well be able to get back to hearts if that is where you belong.
After all you may have to bid your 5C and 4H hand after it is partner who bids 1S.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-17, 10:51

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-17, 10:13, said:

A 1NT rebid does not absolutely promise a stopper and AKQxx is a perfectly fine suit for bidding twice if you cannot stomach that.

A stopperless 1NT rebid seems a bad idea when the suit was bid on our right. Rebidding 2 (which most club players seem to do) does not show your values.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-17, 12:10

Double should be the 15-17 NT or equivalent. It is intolerable to bid 1N here with xxx in spades.
Michael Askgaard

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-February-17, 12:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-17, 10:15, said:

Not so sure about that Dave - certainly NT doubles are the norm after a 2 level overcall but at the 1 level using this double for hearts makes a lot of sense.

You don't need to double for hearts and a min hand. if partner has hearts they will have enough values to bid again. if you have hearts with reversing values you bid hearts. so double should be card-showing usually a flawed NT.

i agree with mfa1010
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-17, 12:22

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-February-17, 12:16, said:

if partner has hearts they will have enough values to bid again.

What makes you believe that?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#11 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-17, 12:36

This is from a K-S with adapted Walsh (responder bids a 4 card major in preference to diamonds with any hand too weak to invite over a 15-17 1N rebid) perspective, and I'm not an expert, but...

I think PASS should show the 15-17 1N hand! And after you pass, partner should bid accordingly.

You can double with hearts, raise with diamonds, rebid with long clubs. The only unbalanced hands you don't have a bid for are the ones with spades. Those are rare, and 2 is almost always still a safe landing spot if partner doubles to reopen.

#12 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-February-17, 13:10

Looks like a support double. You have semi denied a good four card major.

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-February-18, 05:46

X would show hearts, we open 1 with a strong NT 4432.

As I said, if you would rebid 2, what would you do if the small heart was the Q and you had a 17 count.

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-February-18, 06:07

If you are too strong for Pass, 2 or 1NT (or just cannot avoid vomiting at the thought of the last) then the next step up is 2, which is often 18+ without a stop. I think a pair has to decide its own borders between Pass, 1NT and 2 on big balanced hands without a good stop.

Incidentally, there was a comment earlier about rebidding 1NT getting to a stupid 3NT. That is a completely stupid point because obviously if you play a style where 1NT does not promise a stopper you check back for it before committing. The style is not without its problems but that is not at the top of the list.

I also see nothing "unmethodical" about an auction that runs "I have 15-17 balanced"; "Great, what about a stopper?"; "Sorry, not today"; "OK, let's not play 3NT then." In fact, the main strength of playing that way is that this tends to be more methodical than: "I have something"; "I have something too!"; "Do you have anything in spades?", "Nope," where you are at least as high (often higher) and know less about the hands.

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-18, 06:11

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-18, 06:07, said:

Incidentally, there was a comment earlier about rebidding 1NT getting to a stupid 3NT. That is a completely stupid point because obviously if you play a style where 1NT does not promise a stopper you check back for it before committing. The style is not without its problems but that is not at the top of the list.

I also see nothing "unmethodical" about an auction that runs "I have 15-17 balanced"; "Great, what about a stopper?"; "Sorry, not today"; "OK, let's not play 3NT then." In fact, the main strength of playing that way is that this tends to be more methodical than: "I have something"; "I have something too!"; "Do you have anything in spades?", "Nope," where you are at least as high (often higher) and know less about the hands.

Zel, the problem is right-siding. Usually, right-siding is very overvalued. But here, with a 5-card suit bid on your right, this is the one situation where right-siding 3NT can be extremely important. Partner's Kx stopper won't be very useful if we play 3NT from our side.

This is very different to auctions of the form 1m (1H) 1S (P), where everybody plays (or should play) that bidding 1NT does not promise a stopper.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-February-18, 06:22

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-18, 06:07, said:

If you are too strong for Pass, 2 or 1NT (or just cannot avoid vomiting at the thought of the last) then the next step up is 2, which is often 18+ without a stop. I think a pair has to decide its own borders between Pass, 1NT and 2 on big balanced hands without a good stop.

Sorry, I should have said, adding the Q does not make you too strong for your 1N rebid (many people play 15-17, we play even wider than that), but I was trying to take pass and 2 out of the equation.

Our problem was different.

I bid 1N which would normally hold a stop and the auction proceeded as in the diagram, putting partner in the hot seat.

Is there a problem here ?

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-February-18, 06:35

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-February-18, 06:22, said:

Is there a problem here ?

Clearly there is a problem and cherdano already mentioned it. More to the point it is clear that you and your partner drew different lines here. If you can rebid 1NT on this hand then Responder has to check back. It might continue [1 - 1 - (1); 1NT -] 2; 3 - 3; 4 - 5. Not the world's best contract for sure but better than 3NT from the North side.

By the way, your wide-ranging 1NT rebid is problematic enough when they pass and I think you should definitely consider dropping it after an overcall if you have any alternatives. For a 1NT rebid to be both wide-ranging and not promise a stopper is really pushing the boat out. One or the other!

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-18, 06:35

View Postjogs, on 2014-February-17, 13:10, said:

Looks like a support double. You have semi denied a good four card major.

I would be very surprised if the OP were playing support doubles.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-February-18, 07:41

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-February-18, 06:35, said:

Clearly there is a problem and cherdano already mentioned it. More to the point it is clear that you and your partner drew different lines here. If you can rebid 1NT on this hand then Responder has to check back. It might continue [1 - 1 - (1); 1NT -] 2; 3 - 3; 4 - 5. Not the world's best contract for sure but better than 3NT from the North side.

By the way, your wide-ranging 1NT rebid is problematic enough when they pass and I think you should definitely consider dropping it after an overcall if you have any alternatives. For a 1NT rebid to be both wide-ranging and not promise a stopper is really pushing the boat out. One or the other!

Our agreement is that it does promise a stopper, but I couldn't see any alternative. The wide range 1N is essential in this situation in our system as some other hands become unbiddable without it. Funnily enough this is the first time in 15 years playing this system that I've really had a problem.

The problem was that partner cracked 4 (3N was making, the hand that hadn't bid had both aces), and this duly wrapped up 11 tricks with E 6601, it was difficult to visualise on our combined 25 count that we have to take a save.

#20 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-18, 07:54

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-February-18, 07:41, said:

Our agreement is that it does promise a stopper, but I couldn't see any alternative. The wide range 1N is essential in this situation in our system as some other hands become unbiddable without it. Funnily enough this is the first time in 15 years playing this system that I've really had a problem.

Maybe so because you care so little about right-siding here.

I would prefer 30 push-ups to 1N with xxx and would hate it also with Axx, Kxx etc.
Michael Askgaard

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

17 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users