BBO Discussion Forums: Premier League hand 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Premier League hand 2 lead problem

Poll: Premier League hand 2 (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Your lead?

1. Spade (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Heart (15 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

3. Diamond (4 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Club (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-08, 18:39

Partnership agreement is that preempts can be undisciplined, what do you lead?
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2014-January-08, 19:20

View Postmanudude03, on 2014-January-08, 18:39, said:

Partnership agreement is that preempts can be undisciplined, what do you lead?

Heart. Seems to take the least to beat this.
Chris Gibson

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-January-09, 18:05

View Postmanudude03, on 2014-January-08, 18:39, said:

IMO = 10, = 7, = 6, = 5. partner should be more disciplined, in 2nd seat.

#4 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2014-January-10, 12:16

Why would I lead anything other than a heart?

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#5 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-12, 09:33

. To me this is a case of creating problems where none exist. If partner was unprepared for a heart lead in case his LHO declares, he shouldn't have bid them. If some other lead works out better, that's too bad.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#6 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-12, 10:13

Full hand below:

A diamond lead guarantees -1 here, a club lead might work. North at the table led a heart and led to a fairly easy make even after finding the diamond switch upon winning the first round of trumps.
Wayne Somerville

#7 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 22:19

This seems like an obvious case of "resulting." There's no reason we can't often win the first 3 tricks on a heart lead, and equally no reason why it isn't the case that a diamond lead is the only one to allow the contract to make.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-15, 07:09

I would lead , of course. I am with Highlow21 on this one. I would not even blame pd for his bid. Imo he made a reasonable bid and it had downsides. This was one of those "pay off" boards of your preempt/overcall style.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-15, 08:45

I like a D lead this sort of hand, seems to me that is a place to build tricks quickly. I doubt a H lead will present a problem for declarer.

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-15, 11:41

came in late and saw all the hands but I would have led a heart even if p did not

bid 2h. there seems to be too little probability that a dia lead will succeed in being

effective against two "opening" distributional hands.

I applaud anyone that feels the dia lead is right and maybe you are headed for greatness:))

#11 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-19, 20:40

I realize there are some serious problems with their methodology, so their results have to be taken with a grain of salt, but David Bird and a colleague wrote books called "Winning Suit Contract Leads" and "Winning No-Trump Leads" in which they analyzed all possible opening leads against 5,000 simulated hands that fit the auction, covering all kinds of different scenarios/defensive holdings. The goal was to determine which leads from which holdings perform the best over the long run (at IMPs and MPs).

Several of their takeaways I find suspicious -- maybe a result of the assumption that everything is played double-dummy after the lead, and the bidding system is assumed to be fixed and rigid. (For this reason, blank Aces performed well, because they enable the defenders to always defend double-dummy from that point forward. It also assumes a Stayman bidder, for example, NEVER has 5 of a major.)

All this aside... two of the most interesting takeaways, that I believe make perfect sense when you think about them, are:
(1) Singleton leads very frequently work out well, even when a ruff doesn't develop (and they also work well under the right conditions at No-Trump).
(2) Opening leads from hands that have broken honors -- K-J-x-x, K-T-x-x, Q-T-x-x, even Q-T-9-x -- perform pretty poorly against NT and exceptionally poorly, most of the time, against suit contracts.

For a diamond lead to work well here, we need partner to hold the AK, or the A and declarer the K, or we need partner to Jack (and the King would help a lot); these scenarios all are greatly augmented if dummy and declarer each have 3 of them. This is a successful parlay on this hand but, in my view, a big loser in the long run to the simple play of leading your singleton in partner's suit while holding 4 trumps and control of the trumps.

And just imagine the problems with partnership morale if the heart lead would have worked and the diamond lead permitted an overtrick!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users