BBO Discussion Forums: Another Opening Bid Question - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Another Opening Bid Question

#21 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-29, 10:11

a lot of tosh in this thread. you've got no idea if the opps will bid 4s or not and you've got no idea if it would make (or go for 1100) if they did. there are plenty of other nice things that could happen too, like the opps misjudging a 5 over 5 auction or going off after a slam try.

what you do know is that the opps' chances of making a correct decision on the deal are far lower when you stick it up em with a 4h opener and take away all their space. the chances of partner making a correct decision about whether to bid on are improved too when you've described your hand so well.

#22 User is offline   spadebaby 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-October-30, 19:31

I have to admit I am liking the 3H opening. ONly because missing the A and K.
Not that I don't think it wont wind up in 4H....

#23 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-November-10, 00:56

View Postbarsikb, on 2013-October-17, 07:57, said:

Pass?
1H?
3H?
4H?

Dealer

Non-Vul against Vul

4H and sit back and enjoy a bit of schadenfreude as opps squirm, because you can be sure if it was the other way round they'd be enjoying you discomfort. If it turns out you've transferred them in to a game/slam they wouldn't have found congratulate them as you put your cards away and either grab the next board, move on to the next table or wait for new opponents.

If you've preempted partner, or in the case above, apologise to partner in time honoured fashion by buying him/her a drink in the pub after the game.

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-10, 13:46

Pub? What pub? There's a pub? Nobody told me there's a pub! :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-10, 16:28

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-November-10, 13:46, said:

Pub? What pub? There's a pub? Nobody told me there's a pub! :P

Have you played in premises that didn't have a bar onsite without going to the pub afterwards? That would be considered deviant behaviour in these parts!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-10, 20:03

Last time I played in a place with a bar on site was, let me see, one of the old club venues here. However, the bar was closed.

I do fondly recall repairing to the bar after many club games in Alverstoke — but that was twenty years ago. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-11, 02:27

View Postdaveharty, on 2013-October-27, 10:26, said:

Leaving aside the matter of our dotage, are you suggesting that there have been recent advancements in this crucial area of bidding theory? What am I supposed to do at the club on Thursday evening when I pick up (void) QJTxxxxxxx AK A? I don't want to embarrass myself (any more than I do already)!

The classic 5 opener is 10 to the QJ10 and an AKQ with a double void (you know, the hand that never happens) as experts will have exclusion blackwood in their armory for your hand, but for N/B, 5 is the correct opening bid with the hand you give although 1-anything-5 will achieve the same thing unless the opps have got the auction to 4 by the time it gets back to you.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users