Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding balanced hands over 2H/S

#1 User is offline   Lorne50 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-19, 07:34

If the oppo open a weak 2 and you are balanced there is a hole in standard methods. 16-18pts plus a few good 15's or bad 19's can easily bid 2N. 22+ can bid 3N after a dble or for some bid 3N straight away. So what do you do with the hands in the middle? If you dble you know partner will bid a Lebensohl 2N with any hand that would pass an initial 2N leaving you fixed.

You could lower the range for punting 3N so there is no gap and accept a few silly contracts when dummy has a 2 count - is that the norm?

Has anybody ever tried agreeing multi style responses to a Lebensohl 2N to get some help when you have 20/21 pts, so after 2N:
-3C says you are happy to play 3C if that was partners idea
-3D says you have good clubs and want to play 3N if partner has clubs, but happy with 3D if that was his idea
-3 other major says you want to play 3N if partner was going to stop in 3C or 3D, he can pass this if that was hid idea
-3 their major says you have the other major and want to play 4M if partner was going to stop in that suit, 3N otherwise.

Does it make sense? Anybody ever tried it?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-19, 07:52

We reverse Lebensohl outside clubs (so immediate 3 is weak with diamonds), so the only weak hand partner can have is with clubs which makes it slightly simpler.

Would making bids of 2N or higher transfers solve this over 2M-X-P- ?

#3 User is offline   Lorne50 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-19, 15:30

Cyberyeti, on 2013-August-19, 07:52, said:

We reverse Lebensohl outside clubs (so immediate 3 is weak with diamonds), so the only weak hand partner can have is with clubs which makes it slightly simpler.

That would work for the problem I posed but if the oppo jump raise you get pre-empted when you have a good hand which is potentially more expensive than getting pre-empted with a bad hand so I am not certain it is a good trade off, although I have to say I do not often see jumps by the oppo after 2N.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-20, 07:07

Paradox responses to Lebensohl are something fairly mainstream in some places. Iirc, Chris Ryall has something written up about these on his website too.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users