• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam auction in competition

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-14, 07:00

Pd is Diana again, i changed the original bid by opponents after our 4 bid IMP pairs.

a- What would you bid if E passes ?

b-What would you bid if E bids 5 ?

c-What would you bid if east bids 5 ?

Note that we had no discussion whether we play voidwood or not, so assume we do not play voidwood.

EDIT :2 was inverted
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 09:02

What did 2 show ? And particularly if it's the normal weak raise, when do you bid 1N instead (not familiar with what normal US methods are).

Slam is unlikely to be better than a non heart lead or a finesse, and the heart lead is rather telegraphed.

I'd bid 5 which isn't a complete signoff as partner couldn't have been much more encouraging, partner will go on with xxx, xxx, Jxxxx, AK as he really couldn't be any better.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-14, 09:08

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-July-14, 09:02, said:

What did 2 show ? And particularly if it's the normal weak raise, when do you bid 1N instead (not familiar with what normal US methods are).

Slam is unlikely to be better than a non heart lead or a finesse, and the heart lead is rather telegraphed.

I'd bid 5 which isn't a complete signoff as partner couldn't have been much more encouraging, partner will go on with xxx, xxx, Jxxxx, AK as he really couldn't be any better.

Sorry 2 was inverted, i added this now.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 09:52

Easy 5 in my opinion, if we get 6 from partner I will bid 7. 2 showed 10+hcp, so counting on 9 working hcp isn't too much to ask for. Yes, it could be a disaster if partner made a last train bid with A K K but I don't really think she should bid 5 with such a minimum with an ace that's not necessarily useful, and no honor in our likely side suit.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-July-14, 11:34

View Postcherdano, on 2013-July-14, 09:52, said:

Easy 5 in my opinion, if we get 6 from partner I will bid 7. 2 showed 10+hcp, so counting on 9 working hcp isn't too much to ask for. Yes, it could be a disaster if partner made a last train bid with A K K but I don't really think she should bid 5 with such a minimum with an ace that's not necessarily useful, and no honor in our likely side suit.

Probably at some point if we bid 7 we should bid 7C in case partner is 2344, he should know not to pass with 4-3 in the minors.

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 01:42

bid grand now, K is a favourite to be onside anyway, they might sacrifice regardless and on the heart lead we just suggested it will most often be a 5/7 hand. As Justin says 7 is better.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-15, 02:44

View PostFluffy, on 2013-July-15, 01:42, said:

bid grand now, K is a favourite to be onside anyway, they might sacrifice regardless and on the heart lead we just suggested it will most often be a 5/7 hand. As Justin says 7 is better.

K onside isn't enough in itself. Opposite 3343 or 2353 you'll also need the clubs to break.

I like the bid, though. You don't get many chances to identify a five-or-seven hand during the auction.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-15, 08:15

a. 5
b. Pass
c. Pass
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 12:07

assuming 3d was for the majors----why are we in such a huge hurry to splinter
when we can use splinter theory to our advantage w/o divulging the nature of
our hand to the opps??? why not begin with 3h and see if it is possible for p
to bid 3n?? ok that aside---our predicament is a lack of space and no strong
idea where we belong. Best bet for now is

5h

shows our grand slam aspirations (and should guarantee a spade void). This bid
also lets p know that a top dia and one top club are insufficient for us to bid 7.
Lets see if p can throw in a 6c bid which should be sufficient for us to bid 7d*.

*There is an odd benefit to bidding 7c. This bid might encourage rho to make a
lightner x with a dia void. While this piece of information will make no difference
to the overall play of the hand it might show 7d is now a safe contract since rho
wont have 2 voids (ackkk will they?). If we bid 7d immediately we will have
no recourse if rho x 7d with a club void. If p passes 7c the play of the hand will
most likely be similar to 7d.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-16, 04:54

I bid 5 since i was not sure how short did 4 show. In my mind i thought this would also promise a control and that pd would bid 5 with AK on her way.

I should have bid 5. Yes 5 promise a control but probably denies 1st round and i shd have predicted that pd will never do something that will encourage me to grandslam (such as bidding 6 with AK when she knows we are lack of 1st round . And Diana did good job by bidding 6

Oh well, RHO bid 6, holding J9xxx KQJT9x void xx , which i passed but the damage by the lack of 5 was hard to recover. Diana doubled with AKx xx Jxxx AKxx. K was off Kxx. We ended up collecting +1100 in the wrong suit save contract.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users