Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Go Phil! U.S. Open Golf Championship

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-16, 16:07

This is exciting. Phil is playing so well. So are Jason Day, Hunter Mahan and Justin Rose. Anything can happen on the last 5 holes. But Phil has played them better than anyone.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-16, 17:34

Hugely happy for Justin Rose, he's been through a hell of a lot.

#3 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2013-June-16, 19:36

Justin Rose hit 3 nearly perfect shots on 18 today. Impressive stuff under pressure after bogies there Thursday and Saturday.

Can't believe Phil missed the green on 13, a 121 yard par 3, with a pitching wedge. Phil!!!!!!!!
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-June-17, 00:20

View Posty66, on 2013-June-16, 19:36, said:

Justin Rose hit 3 nearly perfect shots on 18 today. Impressive stuff under pressure after bogies there Thursday and Saturday.

Can't believe Phil missed the green on 13, a 121 yard par 3, with a pitching wedge. Phil!!!!!!!!

He said he chose the wrong wedge, easy to do when you have as many in your bag as he does.

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-June-17, 15:07

Bizarre fact, Black Sabbath currently have the UK's number 1 album.

Last time they did that - 43 years ago when Tony Jacklin won the US open, last time an Englishman did it.

#6 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2013-June-18, 04:50

From Karen Crouse's column this morning:

“Golf can be a cruel game,” Rose said Sunday night. “And definitely I have had the ups and downs, but I think that ultimately it’s made me stronger and able to handle the situations like today, for example.”

Rose said he drew inspiration from another prodigy who detoured from his fast-track path. Adam Scott, who is 14 days older than Rose, won the 2004 Players Championship before his 24th birthday and toiled for nine more years before claiming his first major title at this year’s Masters.

“I consider him a contemporary of mine and a great friend of mine,” Rose said of Scott. “He sent me a text message after I congratulated him on winning the Masters, and he said to me, ‘This is your time, this is your time, this is our time, to win these tournaments.’ At 32, we have been around quite awhile. We paid our dues in some senses.”

Forget the giant leaps forward that grab the headlines: Rose described his progress as “just one-foot-in-front-of-another fashion.”

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 16:13

Is this the first major won with at most -1 on the daily score?

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-June-19, 16:18

View PostFluffy, on 2013-June-19, 16:13, said:

Is this the first major won with at most -1 on the daily score?

As recently as 2010, Graeme McDowell won the U.S. Open with a final round score of 74 - 3 over par at Pebble Beach - and even par 284 for the tournament - to win by one stroke over Gregory Havret (who?).

It is common for the majors (other than the Masters) to have winners with over par scores for the tournament, and even par or higher scores on the final day. There have been many US Opens and British Opens where shooting par was very difficult, especially if the weather turned bad.

By the way, Gregory Havret is a French professional golfer who was ranked 391 in the world at the time of his runner-up finish in the US Open in 2010. Wikipedia is a wonderful thing.

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-June-19, 17:00

View PostArtK78, on 2013-June-19, 16:18, said:

As recently as 2010, Graeme McDowell won the U.S. Open with a final round score of 74 - 3 over par at Pebble Beach - and even par 284 for the tournament - to win by one stroke over Gregory Havret (who?).

It is common for the majors (other than the Masters) to have winners with over par scores for the tournament, and even par or higher scores on the final day. There have been many US Opens and British Opens where shooting par was very difficult, especially if the weather turned bad.

By the way, Gregory Havret is a French professional golfer who was ranked 391 in the world at the time of his runner-up finish in the US Open in 2010. Wikipedia is a wonderful thing.

This is pretty meaningless, the USGA decide that the course will have a par of 70, so 530 yards uphill is a par 4, the realistic par for that course is probably 72, the -1 winner is purely because the USGA fiddle what par is.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users