BBO Discussion Forums: Unfavorable layouts for NS - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unfavorable layouts for NS Every time NS overbid to a 68 percent slam, it fails 80 percent

#1 User is offline   bacca2002 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-February-24, 18:42

BBO, you gove me a headache wHen you give NS unfavorable layouts for overbidding slightly to a 68 percent contract. This started my hanid of cheating and better distribution can change that. Nonetheless, I am still an overbidder, and there is nothing you can do to change it. Perhaps this is why BBO people are conservative,and play in doomed 3NT when slam was cold. in other words:are you placing the enemy cards randomly?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-24, 20:07

BBO hands are dealt randomly, there is no NS or EW bias, and definitely nothing that tries to create bad layouts. The only non-random aspect is in best-hand robot tournaments: after dealing the hands normally they are rotated to move the hand with the most HCP into the South seat. It does NOT look at distribution when doing this, just 4-3-2-1 points.

And when you're sitting East or West, aren't NS the enemies? Or are you only talking about robot tourneys? Anyway, as I said above, except for the best-hand rotation, there's no difference between dealing for robot tourneys and dealing in the rest of BBO.

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-24, 21:09

Post of the year

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-25, 09:22

Bacca, do your aces always get cracked when playing on Stars?

#5 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-March-12, 13:44

*mind blown*
Become yourself.

#6 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2013-April-01, 06:10

I suggest a new strategy...let the Wookie win.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#7 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-01, 11:35

View Postbarmar, on 2013-February-24, 20:07, said:

BBO hands are dealt randomly, there is no NS or EW bias, and definitely nothing that tries to create bad layouts. The only non-random aspect is in best-hand robot tournaments: after dealing the hands normally they are rotated to move the hand with the most HCP into the South seat. It does NOT look at distribution when doing this, just 4-3-2-1 points.

Barry: Is this rotation random when two hands have the same HCP, e.g. the original N and W each have 12? I know it's a small thing, but if (say) the rotation is always clockwise, then a player might infer that RHO is more likely to also have 12 than LHO.

This isn't a big deal since the robot tournaments already have other artificial inferences available (if I have 12 neither opp will have 13; if I have 12 then our side likely doesn't have game even if CHO is max) so it's not exactly a blow to the purity of the events. :rolleyes: Just curious.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-02, 08:38

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-April-01, 11:35, said:

Barry: Is this rotation random when two hands have the same HCP, e.g. the original N and W each have 12? I know it's a small thing, but if (say) the rotation is always clockwise, then a player might infer that RHO is more likely to also have 12 than LHO.

It's not actually a rotation, it's a swap. If South doesn't initially have the best hand, his hand is swapped with the player that does. If there are two other seats with the best hand, it chooses which one to swap with randomly.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users