Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Time allowed to play Suggestion to increase time allowed for the first card

#1 User is offline   henriqued 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-19, 03:08

In have been participating in BBO (Free) Tournaments and I have a problem with the time allowed to play (I think 30 seconds for each trick) mostly after bidding and before playing the first card from my hand because that is the moment where normally we need a bit more time to think, look at the dummy and make a plan.
Sometimes the time allowed is enough but other times (mainly when you are the declarer) it isn't and soon you start getting warnings that you'll be replaced in x seconds for a Robot and that makes you nervous and causes precipitation and probable mistakes!
Thus, my suggestion to the BBO sofware programmers (Forum BBO "Suggestions for the Software") was to ask them to find a way/solution that allows a bit more time (say 45 seconds instead of 30 seconds) before playing the first card of the first trick.
That would be more wise in my view and certainly the BBO tournament players would appreciate if they are informed and aware that there is a bit more time (I think more 15 seconds than the normal 30 seconds allowed for the rest of the tricks would suffise) for the play of the first card of the first trick to allow for the hand planning.
To the readers of this topic, please espress if you agree (or desagree) with my request.
Thank you all,

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-20, 11:48

We already bumped it up from (I think) 20 seconds a while back.

These are called "Express" for a reason, they're supposed to be really quick.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-21, 02:12

Actually, I think I have that backwards. When we first created it I think we allowed 45 seconds or 1 minute for each play, and it was too slow. Lots of boards wouldn't finish within the 5 minutes allowed.

#4 User is offline   henriqued 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-22, 13:34

I am not suggesting an increase for every card played but only for the first card to be played in each board/hand.
Thus, e.g. for a 6 board tournament that would mean more 15 seconds x 6 = 90 seconds (1 1/2 minute) for the whole tournament and for a 8 board tournament that would mean 2 minutes more.
Is that too much?...I think not, but if that was tried before and did not work, let's continue as is!
Thank you and regards.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-23, 00:31

Sorry, I didn't read your original post carefully enough. I agree, it wouldn't be too bad to allow a little extra time for the first trick.

#6 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2013-March-24, 22:24

Seconding this suggestion. I find I quite often get the "will be replaced in xx seconds" warning before I play to trick one, but hardly ever at any other time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users