• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Smart Device for BBO Best Smart Device for BBO

#1 User is offline   klidescope 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-13, 14:56

Dear BBO

I will be buying a smartphone or a tablet ( ipad or adroid based )
and want to know which devices are performing the best as of Mar 12 2013

Not sure which forum this goes in ... sorry if its wrong

Thanks

Steve

#2 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2013-March-13, 19:01

I think this depends almost entirely on how much screen real estate you need. I have used BBO on my Android smartphone but only to play anonymously against 3 bots; the screen is too small for me to try anything else. I also use BBO on my Nexus 7, which is much more comfortable, but a larger tablet would be even more so I suppose. As far as "performance", both devices work fine.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#3 User is offline   cnszsun 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2013-March-13, 21:33

I agree. No matter what devices you are choosing, the size of screen is crucial. When I play on my 4 inch android smartphone, I have to be very careful to avoid misclicking.
Michael Sun

#4 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-14, 11:54

Don't buy your device for the sake of using it on BBO is my advice. And if one of the things you want to do is play bridge with it, it needs a huge screen. The only phone I'd be able to play with is the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with 5+ inches, and even that is too small! Fred has said he designed mobile app for tablets, not phones. But I think having the need for internet connection everywhere means phone is more useful.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#5 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-01, 01:11

I have been playing on my Samsung Galaxy S with a 4 inch display against other players, and it worked nicely. I chose the option to verify the cards played, so that I have to tap twice for any card. This way, mistaps are really rare.

Karl

#6 User is offline   wodahs 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-April-02, 14:25

I use BBO on two tablets.

On the 7" Blackberry Playbook, I use the browser BBO which displays properly because the Blackberry supports flash. It is terrific for kibitzing however I cannot actually play because the Playbook doesn't accept my fingertaps for some reason.

On the 10" Google Nexus 10, I use the android app, which works flawlessly, although the app doesn't include all of the features of the browser version. Android players cannot use the browser version because android doesn't support flash (there are geeky workarounds, none of which I was happy with).

I'd say go as big as you can. The 10" app is a very comfortable size. A 7" screen, for me. would be doable, but inferior to the larger format. I can't imagine playing on anything smaller than 7", although if all you wanted to do is kibitz, you can do so on any 4" screen (I can kibitz, eyes slightly squinting, on an Ipod).

#7 User is offline   barrys 

• Pip

Posted 2013-April-23, 11:27

I am thinking about buying (for other reasons)and using a Kindle for BBO. While I know the larger the screen the better, could some Kindle users let me know their experience? I find phone screens are much too small (make mistakes in bidding and play inadvertently), and I find an iPad just fine in terms of size, but how about the Kindle size? Large enough?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-23, 15:36

I recently got a 7" Kindle Fire. It's kind of cramped, very easy to misclick.

#9 User is offline   heyrocky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:mountains, college basketball, math

Posted 2013-April-23, 16:56

I have been using an iPad Mini for the past couple of months, and it's okay with the card diagram and with the confirm option turned on. I would not want to play on it full time, but sometimes the portability is very useful.

#10 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-24, 20:30

View Postbarrys, on 2013-April-23, 11:27, said:

I am thinking about buying (for other reasons)and using a Kindle for BBO. While I know the larger the screen the better, could some Kindle users let me know their experience? I find phone screens are much too small (make mistakes in bidding and play inadvertently), and I find an iPad just fine in terms of size, but how about the Kindle size? Large enough?

As a long time Kindle owner, may I try to dissuade you? If you want to read, the tablet Kindle (Fire) is 100% not what you want, as it's a normal LCD screen, and not e-ink.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users