BBO Discussion Forums: sanity check - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

sanity check

Poll: lead... (25 member(s) have cast votes)

the lead...

1. spade (9 votes [36.00%])

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

2. heart (11 votes [44.00%])

Percentage of vote: 44.00%

3. diamond (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

4. club (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-11, 07:28

Match points:
K84
Q1063

partner passes, and it goes 1NT-2-2-3NT

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 07:43

There are lots of these in the Bird/Anthias Winning NoTrump Leads book.

Heart at match points, spade at imps.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 07:48

always

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 08:06

PhilKing, on 2013-January-11, 07:43, said:

There are lots of these in the Bird/Anthias Winning NoTrump Leads book.

Heart at match points, spade at imps.

Interesting, why should this be so?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-11, 08:27

Spade at imps. Partner did not open, so he has less then an opening. My best shot for defeating is something like AQJxx in spades and out...(If he has less values in spades, he may hold something outside and an entrance...)

Heart at mps. They will usually make and I won't help them to make more tricks then they are supposed to have.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 08:31

has the best chance ( in the majors ) to find partner with 5 cards .
From Rule-of-11, he will know I don't have 4 of them when I lead the 7 .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 09:10

billw55, on 2013-January-11, 08:06, said:

1. Passive leads tend to rate pretty highly in the simulations. Interestingly, passive leads were particularly good against 3NT - against 1NT we should be more inclined to attack.

2. Leads from four card minors are fared very badly in almost all the simulations. What I mean by really badly is that you should not even consider leading a diamond.

3. QTxx suits did not fair all that much better than, say, Kxxx.

Passive leads are definitely overrated by simulations though - they rely on partner finding the right switch all the time.

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 10:37

PhilKing, on 2013-January-11, 09:10, said:

1. Passive leads tend to rate pretty highly in the simulations. Interestingly, passive leads were particularly good against 3NT - against 1NT we should be more inclined to attack.

2. Leads from four card minors are fared very badly in almost all the simulations. What I mean by really badly is that you should not even consider leading a diamond.

3. QTxx suits did not fair all that much better than, say, Kxxx.

Passive leads are definitely overrated by simulations though - they rely on partner finding the right switch all the time.

I wasn't considering leading a minor. What I meant was, why choose spade at IMPs and heart at matchpoints? I see Codo has offered an explanation, would you add anything to that?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-11, 11:22

PhilKing, on 2013-January-11, 09:10, said:

If you play against the robots on BBO, you'll find that they lead like this frequently (not surprising, since they choose their defense based on simulations similar to to those used for the book). And since its partner is using the same simulation method, it frequently does find the switch rather than blindly returning the suit.

In fact, on the occasions when it makes an attacking lead and declarer ducks holding just Ax, it will sometimes switch instead of continuing, allowing declarer to make unmakable contracts.

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 12:17

billw55, on 2013-January-11, 10:37, said:

I wasn't considering leading a minor. What I meant was, why choose spade at IMPs and heart at matchpoints? I see Codo has offered an explanation, would you add anything to that?

Not really - Codo has covered it.

If I can find the book, I will see if there is a relevant hand that offers more insight.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-January-11, 12:47

I would lead a spade at both forms of scoring, but I understand the idea of a heart at mps and a spade at imps.

At imps, we are assuming we can beat this despite partner having limited assets. Our best shot, given that opener has no major, is to hit partner's presumed major length.

He needs far more in hearts than he does in spades, because he is entirely on his own in the former suit.

Thus AJxxx in spades, especially if dummy hits with Qxx or xxx, is gold, while the same holding in hearts is not only of dubious value but may be damaged by a heart lead: imagine dummy with Q108x and declarer K9.

Thus at imps we attack the suit where, if we have guessed correctly, the 'good lead' is most likely to help.

At mps, on a power auction, we would often choose to go passive. Indeed, if my majors were Kxx 7xx, I'd lead a heart.

I don't think xx is a good lead when a reasonably common layout is that dummy holds 4 and declarer holds 3. That could be the case when I hold 3, of course, but then the suit is 4333 and my lead is less likely to blow a trick.

I might also lead a heart at mps if my spades were Qxx and hearts xx. However, even if declarer has spades locked up, my King will still likely score a trick when declarer holds the A, while leading from the Q might blow the entire suit.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-January-11, 13:16

I still think a heart is bad at matchpoints. As PhilKing noted, leads like a heart are not only overrated because partner always finds the right shift, but also because declarer is always going to pick up hearts left to his own devices. In real life, we are going to pick off the heart holding a lot which double dummy simulations will not account for. Partner's AJxx or QJxx or Qxxx or Jxxx etc etc were all always going to be picked up.

IN THE REAL WORLD, TWO SMALL IS NOT PASSIVE. IN SIMULATIONS IT IS.

In real life, partners heart holding would be unlikely to be picked up if he has only 4, because dummy will have the length.

If you want to be passive, why not lead a club which is actually passive? It does not have the upside of a heart, but it is unlikely to be picking anything off and partner is unlikely to misdefend later on.

To me it is an automatic spade lead at imps and between a club and a spade at MP (I would lead a club). I am happy to just not blow a trick on lead when I'm defending normal contracts at MP. I hope people keep reading David Birds book and failing to understand the limitations of double dummy analysis. Maybe they will just bang down aces or lead from 2 small all day.

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 15:00

Sanity Check: Failure

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-January-11, 15:46

lol

#15 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 16:05

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2013-January-11, 08:31, said:

From Rule-of-11, he will know I don't have 4 of them when I lead the 7 .

So that's what the rule of 11 does! I never understood it before.

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 16:57

Fluffy, on 2013-January-11, 15:00, said:

Sanity Check: Failure

But Gonzalo,

By now you should know that diamonds are a girl's best friend.

;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-January-11, 19:36

Codo, on 2013-January-11, 08:27, said:

Spade at imps. Partner did not open, so he has less then an opening. My best shot for defeating is something like AQJxx in spades and out...(If he has less values in spades, he may hold something outside and an entrance...)

Heart at mps. They will usually make and I won't help them to make more tricks then they are supposed to have.

Partner cannot have this S holding as he did not open with a weak 2. I would lead a H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-12, 00:00

the hog, on 2013-January-11, 19:36, said:

Partner cannot have this S holding as he did not open with a weak 2. I would lead a H.

AJxxx

would be enough too depending on the position of the other cards.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#19 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-12, 04:30

billw55, on 2013-January-11, 08:06, said:

Because it does not pay at matchpoints to take your best chance of beating them when by doing so the risk of giving them an additional trick is high while the overall chance of beating them remains low.

Rainer Herrmann

#20 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-12, 07:19

A rhm says. At imps, the cost of an overtrick by leading spades and giving a spade trick away is small, while the gain from being able to set up partner's hand should he also have sufficient in spades, to take the contract off when it would otherwise make, is high. Crudely, to gain a possible 8 IMPs it is worth taking a risk, losing 1 IMP when a 1 in 5 chance does not pay off. Conversely, at MP the attacking play gets you a 20% score.

However, this crude arithmetic overlooks the fact that on passive play (heart or club lead) the contract may be going off anyway, and your aggressive spade lead lets them make it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users