BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Forums incorrect spelling - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Forums incorrect spelling has leaked into the outside world.

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-14, 07:13

From BT Yahoo Movie blog:

This part of the speech lead many to speculate she had just announced her retirement

This is the second time I have seen this sort of thing in mass media in recent weeks. The writers must have learnt their English on these forums!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-January-14, 07:40

What a bunch of loosers. ;)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 07:55

The second time in weeks? You must not read yahoo stories much. They frequently have spelling or grammar errors and I routinely find several per day.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 08:12

I don't see the mistake :(

BTW I remind all posters that they are wellcome to send me PMs pointing out grammar and spelling mistakes, I make a lot of typing mistakes also, but there is no need to PM me about them.

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 08:14

The small difference, of course, is that those are professional writers, writing in their native language. We are a bunch of amateurs with many of us writing in our second (or third) language. There can only be one conclusion. They must be correct.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-14, 08:45

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-January-14, 08:14, said:

The small difference, of course, is that those are professional writers, writing in their native language. We are a bunch of amateurs with many of us writing in our second (or third) language. There can only be one conclusion. They must be correct.

Well, quite. That is why non-native English speakers are doomed to learning incorrect spelling and grammar.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-14, 08:50

View PostFluffy, on 2013-January-14, 08:12, said:

I don't see the mistake :(

The word "lead" was substituted for "led".

This error is particularly disconcerting to me as a reader, since the pronunciation is different; it sort of stops me in my tracks.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-14, 08:52

View Postbillw55, on 2013-January-14, 07:55, said:

The second time in weeks? You must not read yahoo stories much. They frequently have spelling or grammar errors and I routinely find several per day.

It was the second time in weeks I saw this error.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-14, 08:58

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 08:52, said:

It was the second time in weeks I saw this error.

"this sort of thing" implies a more general class of errors, not just this particular one. Don't make wording errors when you're complaining about someone else's writing.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-14, 09:00

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-14, 08:58, said:

"this sort of thing" implies a more general class of errors, not just this particular one. Don't make wording errors when you're complaining about someone else's writing.

Yes, you are right. Of course I meant the substitution of "lead" for "led"; I do not know why I phrased it in such a general way.

#11 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 09:46

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 08:50, said:

The word "lead" was substituted for "led".

This error is particularly disconcerting to me as a reader, since the pronunciation is different; it sort of stops me in my tracks.

The pronunciation depends on the context, of course. The metal "lead" is indeed pronouced in the same way as the past participle "led", and I think this is the reason why it is so common to see the present tense of the verb "lead" incorrectly used in place of "led".

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 09:49

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 08:45, said:

Well, quite. That is why non-native English speakers are doomed to learning incorrect spelling and grammar.

One slight problem for non-native speakers is that the native speakers can't even agree on spelling or grammar.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-14, 10:29

View PostWellSpyder, on 2013-January-14, 09:46, said:

The pronunciation depends on the context, of course. The metal "lead" is indeed pronouced in the same way as the past participle "led", and I think this is the reason why it is so common to see the present tense of the verb "lead" incorrectly used in place of "led".

It may also be related to the more common word "read". Its past tense is pronounced "red", but it's spelled "read", just like the present tense. This formation may bleed over in the mind to "lead".

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-14, 10:33

View PostWellSpyder, on 2013-January-14, 09:46, said:

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-14, 10:29, said:

It may also be related to the more common word "read". Its past tense is pronounced "red", but it's spelled "read", just like the present tense. This formation may bleed over in the mind to "lead".

But how curious that a (native English-speaking) person could have heard of lead or any other element without having attended school... no, it's probably more that teaching spelling and grammar is no longer considered important, because it takes time away from teaching things like "empowerment" and "self-actualisation".

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-January-14, 09:49, said:

One slight problem for non-native speakers is that the native speakers can't even agree on spelling or grammar.

That's not true. There is a right way and there are wrong ways. Unfortunately, sources like newspapers, which non-native speakers would tend to trust, do not always use the right way.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-14, 10:34

Rik

Many Brits know that if you want to get a higher quality of English spelling and grammar, you ask a Dutchman.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-14, 10:36

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-January-14, 10:34, said:

Many Brits know that if you want to get a higher quality of English spelling and grammar, you ask a Dutchman.

Surely a Scandinavian!

#17 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 11:16

Rik

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-January-14, 10:34, said:

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 10:36, said:

Surely a Scandinavian!

Oh dear! We can't even agree on that.....

#18 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 11:39

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 10:33, said:

That's not true. There is a right way and there are wrong ways.

BullshitRubbish! There are two flavours of spelling. And native-speakers can't even agree whether they use a cart or a trolley to bring the prescriptions for theird cold their menthol sweets and bags of herbal tea from the drugstorechemist across the parking lotcar park to their station wagonestate car.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-14, 11:46

View Postcherdano, on 2013-January-14, 11:39, said:

BullshitRubbish! There are two flavours of spelling. And native-speakers can't even agree whether they use a cart or a trolley to bring the prescriptions for theird cold their menthol sweets and bags of herbal tea from the drugstorechemist across the parking lotcar park to their station wagonestate car.

Yes, that much is true.

#20 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 11:51

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 10:33, said:

But how curious that a (native English-speaking) person could have heard of lead or any other element without having attended school...

Every 5-year-old who has played CLUE knows about lead pipes :-)

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users