BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Forums incorrect spelling - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Forums incorrect spelling has leaked into the outside world.

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-14, 11:57

View Postcherdano, on 2013-January-14, 11:39, said:

BullshitRubbish! There are two flavours of spelling. And native-speakers can't even agree whether they use a cart or a trolley to bring the prescriptions for theird cold their menthol sweets and bags of herbal tea from the drugstorechemist across the parking lotcar park to their station wagonestate car.

STOP! I am laughing so loud I am wetting my err my err... well.. pick one!

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 12:00

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-January-14, 10:34, said:

Many Brits know that if you want to get a higher quality of English spelling and grammar, you ask a Dutchman.

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 10:36, said:

Surely a Scandinavian!

I'm not sure whether you are referring to me, but I consider myself to be somewhat of both. ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-January-14, 12:20

If you trust a Dutchman's English too much you're bound to be disappointed eventually.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 15:36

View Postgwnn, on 2013-January-14, 12:20, said:

If you trust a Dutchman's English too much you're bound to be disappointed eventually.

I agree.

The Netherlands is probably one of the countries -without an English history- with the largest density of people who can speak English as a second language.

On the other hand, The Netherlands is probably also the country with the largest density of people who think they know English. "Ent sum prominent dutsj fooks (pollitisjuns kum toe majnt) aar riel bet eksempuls et inglisj."

Rik

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 15:46

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 10:33, said:

But how curious that a (native English-speaking) person could have heard of lead or any other element without having attended school... no, it's probably more that teaching spelling and grammar is no longer considered important, because it takes time away from teaching things like "empowerment" and "self-actualisation".

It is certainly true that learning spelling and grammar is not considered important — by the students, at least.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is online   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 17:13

View PostBbradley62, on 2013-January-14, 11:51, said:

Every 5-year-old who has played CLUE knows about lead pipes :-)

You call it CLUE? Presumably you mean CLUEDO?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#27 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 17:15

View Postgordontd, on 2013-January-14, 17:13, said:

You call it CLUE? Presumably you mean CLUEDO?
It's been CLUE in the USA for more than 40 years, so y'all can call it whatever you want in UK, but don't be arrogant enough to expect the rest of the world to conform.

#28 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-14, 18:05

View PostBbradley62, on 2013-January-14, 17:15, said:

don't be arrogant enough to expect the rest of the world to conform.

Well, it's called CLUEDO in Germany. :P
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#29 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-15, 00:47

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-14, 18:05, said:

Well, it's called CLUEDO in Germany. :P

and perhaps the rest of the world...

Rik

#30 User is online   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-15, 07:04

don't be arrogant enough to expect the rest of the world to conform.

I thought, in the context of this thread, that I didn't need a smiley for my intention to be clear. Obviously not. Sorry.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#31 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-January-16, 01:51

It's been CLUE in the USA for more than 40 years, so y'all can call it whatever you want in UK, but don't be arrogant enough to expect the rest of the world to conform.

I assume it is called "Clue" in the US because Americans lack the English ability to pronounce words of 2 or more syllables. :lol:
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#32 User is online   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 02:03

View Postthe hog, on 2013-January-16, 01:51, said:

I assume it is called "Clue" in the US because Americans lack the English ability to pronounce words of 2 or more syllables. :lol:

Let's see if the smiley saves you.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#33 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-16, 04:32

Reminds me of the old joke (XXXX is pronounced 4X and is/was one of their most common brands) "Why do Australians call lager XXXX" - because they can't spell beer.

#34 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-16, 05:49

Well, also "Ludo" was known by the brand name "Parcheesi", so the allusion to the former would have been lost on the Americans.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#35 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-16, 08:08

Do kids still play CLUE? And Parcheesi? These were two of my favorite childhood games, back in the 1940s. Checking with the Wik, I see CLUE hit in 1949. I was ten. Sounds right. I hadn't realized either were imports, or knock-offs, from other countries. Please don't tell me Uncle Wiggly was not homegrown. I learned to read by following the adventures of the Rabbit Gentleman as I picked up cards that determined his fate. I greatly enjoyed "Taxi; The game with rules made to be broken". I'm not sure you can still get it, probably we no longer accept the idea of rules made to be broken. Better that the kids pick up a remote and blow somethinig up.
Ken

#36 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 08:21

View Postkenberg, on 2013-January-16, 08:08, said:

Do kids still play CLUE? And Parcheesi? These were two of my favorite childhood games, back in the 1940s. Checking with the Wik, I see CLUE hit in 1949. I was ten. Sounds right. I hadn't realized either were imports, or knock-offs, from other countries. Please don't tell me Uncle Wiggly was not homegrown. I learned to read by following the adventures of the Rabbit Gentleman as I picked up cards that determined his fate. I greatly enjoyed "Taxi; The game with rules made to be broken". I'm not sure you can still get it, probably we no longer accept the idea of rules made to be broken. Better that the kids pick up a remote and blow somethinig up.

We have Clue and Parcheesi and sometimes play them with our kids. Other times Acquire or Dominion, and several other games both modern and dated.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#37 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-16, 08:49

View Postbillw55, on 2013-January-16, 08:21, said:

We have Clue and Parcheesi and sometimes play them with our kids. Other times Acquire or Dominion, and several other games both modern and dated.

I'm very glad to hear this. When young, I had both the best board game collection and the best comic book collection in the immediate neighborhood. We also had one of the first televisions in the neighborhood, but the board games got far more use. I try not to get too nostalgic about this, but it does sometimes seem as if childhood was easier back then.
Ken

#38 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-January-16, 09:09

CLUEDO in UK and NZ
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#39 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 10:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-January-16, 04:32, said:

Reminds me of the old joke (XXXX is pronounced 4X and is/was one of their most common brands) "Why do Australians call lager XXXX" - because they can't spell beer.

American beer commercial: "Fosters! It's Australian for 'beer'"!
Australian: "No. It's Australian for 'Budweiser'".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#40 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 11:03

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-14, 10:33, said:

But how curious that a (native English-speaking) person could have heard of lead or any other element without having attended school... no, it's probably more that teaching spelling and grammar is no longer considered important, because it takes time away from teaching things like "empowerment" and "self-actualisation".

Perhaps time well spent?

That's not true. There is a right way and there are wrong ways. Unfortunately, sources like newspapers, which non-native speakers would tend to trust, do not always use the right way.

Sometimes there are right ways. Sometimes there are many ways which are not wrong. The right way evolves, what was correct 100 years ago may not be considered correct today. Who is really to say that we are right today instead of yesterday or tomorrow?

I think the important part is that we communicate. I see "your" or "ur" used instead of "you're" quite often. I know it is wrong. But, I also understand what is being communicated. Perhaps when you see "lead" instead of "led" the author becomes less credible to you, meaning that she has hindered her ability to communicate her ideas to you. Or, maybe your perception (your hangup on grammar) has hindered your ability to understand the author's ideas or distracted you from focus on the author's ideas instead of the presentation. In short: why do we care about grammar as long as the idea, thought, or fact was communicated to us in an understandable way?

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users