• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exposed card Allow board to be played ?

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-01, 19:22

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-01, 18:17, said:

I think that the least destructive option is one that does not involve the possibility of cancelling the board.

Four options are given to the director. None of them is "cancel the board".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-01, 20:10

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-01, 17:38, said:

If you arrow-switch you are guaranteed a valid result, so it is a better option.

Well, we could argue about "valid", but never mind that.

If arrow-switching is always best, why are the other options in the law?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 20:30

Just a question or two:

Doesn't arrow-switching such as this in a straight Mitchell movement create a variable where the pairs are not playing this hand against the other pairs with which they will be compared at the end of the session?

Do we care?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-01, 21:10

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-01, 20:10, said:

Well, we could argue about "valid", but never mind that.

Because you usually don't arrow switch at teams.
Kaya!

#25 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-01, 21:16

View Postsailoranch, on 2012-November-01, 21:10, said:

Because you usually don't arrow switch at teams.

Seems as if you could do it about half the time....the half where the board hasn't been played at the other table. Reshuffling on those occasions might not be best at BAM or predupe.

#26 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 22:04

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-November-01, 21:16, said:

Seems as if you could do it about half the time....the half where the board hasn't been played at the other table. Reshuffling on those occasions might not be best at BAM or predupe.

Um, I agree?

You still usually don't arrow switch at teams.
Kaya!

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-01, 22:11

So the other options are for team games? Why aren't they clearly labelled as such?
--------------------

#28 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-02, 01:19

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-01, 22:11, said:

So the other options are for team games? Why aren't they clearly labelled as such?

No, the other options are for when this one isn't appropriate.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#29 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-02, 01:30

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-01, 22:11, said:

The other options would come in handy in cases where an arrow switch isn't feasible. Say the OP situation occurred at a shuffle and deal team game. If the board hadn't been played yet, the director could just order a redeal. If it was already played at the other table, you can't rotate the hands or reshuffle, so the director would have them play it out or award an artificial score.

Or maybe two players at the table saw the exposed card. Now rotating the hands wouldn't do much good, so the director chooses something else.

Specifically in the case of one player receiving extraneous information about another player's cards, the other options are available if you're playing a form of the game that doesn't allow for rotating the board. Probably teams.
Kaya!

#30 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-02, 02:02

View PostCarlRitner, on 2012-November-01, 18:05, said:

The only player other than south (the owner) to see the Q is now dummy.
So it can (and in this case would have) worked out OK.

Queens are over-rated anyway.... :rolleyes:

You must make your ruling before the auction begins and without knowing how the auction is likely to develop.

Unless you are fairly confident that premature knowledge of an opponent's card will not interfere with normal play on the board you should apply Law 16C2{a} right away rather than having to subsequently awarding an adjusted score when you discover that the play was affected.

#31 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-02, 07:07

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-November-01, 20:30, said:

Just a question or two:

Doesn't arrow-switching such as this in a straight Mitchell movement create a variable where the pairs are not playing this hand against the other pairs with which they will be compared at the end of the session?

Do we care?

No, because you make the comparisons with the people who did hold the same cards -- you treat it as a "real" arrow-switch.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#32 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-02, 07:12

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-01, 19:22, said:

Four options are given to the director. None of them is "cancel the board".

<sigh> I thought it was clear that this was shorthand for "award an artificial adjusted score".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#33 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-02, 08:14

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-02, 07:07, said:

No, because you make the comparisons with the people who did hold the same cards -- you treat it as a "real" arrow-switch.

I know the mechanics of it. The question was about whether it is reasonable in a straight Mitchell, where no one else with whom we are being compared for placing at the conclusion of the event played this board with the arrows switched.

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-02, 09:07

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-02, 07:12, said:

<sigh> I thought it was clear that this was shorthand for "award an artificial adjusted score".

Sorry, I didn't realize that was probably what you meant until after I'd gone to bed. Still, that's only one of the four options.
--------------------

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-02, 09:09

View Postgordontd, on 2012-November-02, 01:19, said:

No, the other options are for when this one isn't appropriate.

View Postsailoranch, on 2012-November-02, 01:30, said:

The other options would come in handy in cases where an arrow switch isn't feasible. Say the OP situation occurred at a shuffle and deal team game. If the board hadn't been played yet, the director could just order a redeal. If it was already played at the other table, you can't rotate the hands or reshuffle, so the director would have them play it out or award an artificial score.

Or maybe two players at the table saw the exposed card. Now rotating the hands wouldn't do much good, so the director chooses something else.

Specifically in the case of one player receiving extraneous information about another player's cards, the other options are available if you're playing a form of the game that doesn't allow for rotating the board. Probably teams.

Okay, fair enough I suppose. But there's no indication, other than it's the first one in the list, that arrow switching should be preferred to the other three. Are we supposed to take the list as "first in first out", and prefer the options in the order given? If so, how are we supposed to know that?
--------------------

#36 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-02, 09:10

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-November-02, 08:14, said:

I know the mechanics of it. The question was about whether it is reasonable in a straight Mitchell, where no one else with whom we are being compared for placing at the conclusion of the event played this board with the arrows switched.

I am not sure either, which was shy I originally said that one couldn't arrow-switch in a two-winner game. But people who have much greater knowledge of the underlying mechanics and theories of movements seem to think it is OK, so I tend to believe them.

#37 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-02, 09:18

People go to a bridge club to play bridge. They want to bid a hand in the normal way, play it in the normal way, and get a score that is computed by comparing their result with the results of other contestants on the same board. Arrow-switching ensures that this is what they get. Any other solution does not.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#38 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-02, 09:40

View Postgnasher, on 2012-November-02, 09:18, said:

People go to a bridge club to play bridge. They want to bid a hand in the normal way, play it in the normal way, and get a score that is computed by comparing their result with the results of other contestants on the same board. Arrow-switching ensures that this is what they get. Any other solution does not.

This is true, and is why arrow-switching one board is the best practical solution.

Theoretically it does not stand up to scrutiny. Suppose that table (in a two-winner movement) played not one board, but all the boards arrow-switched. Now every pair is in its own distinct line. So instead of a two-winner movement, you will have an x-winner movement, where x is the number of pairs who took part.

#39 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-02, 10:08

Interesting. "Of course the auction will go 1NT-AP" Well, it won't at my table - or it might not. I played 10-12, 12-14, 14-16, and 15-17 NT at a sectional (different partners, of course, except for the mixed-range Precision day). When we open 1m, the auction could be very different, and the location of the Q could be more important.

We overcall strong NTs white a lot more frequently than most around here, as well - in which case the location of the Q could be vital as well.

Even avoiding that, 1NT all change. Now it's a typical "I hate matchpoints, stupid game" fight for the overtrick, and knowing that part of the 15 high is the Q can't be a *dis*advantage...

Knowing that it was a 3/4 Howell (or Mitchell with arrow-switch), the option to rotate the board seems automatic.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#40 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-02, 11:28

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-02, 09:07, said:

Sorry, I didn't realize that was probably what you meant until after I'd gone to bed. Still, that's only one of the four options.

True, but one of the other options might end up that way anyhow. And redealing the board is only applicable if it has not been played before, and is not a very good option in clubs which provide hand records, which I am sure most do.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

18 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users