Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

jen raise!

#1 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-02, 02:45

Unfavorable at IMPs. West leads the 3, third/low, to East's queen.
Kaya!

#2 User is offline   twoshy 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-02, 04:52

The lead and the lack of them competing to 3 marks Jx3-QTxxx. LHO doesn't have AK or 6 so those are splitting 5-2. Neither player has a singleton heart and RHO probably isn't 2254, with which he may have had the values for a takeout double. So the shapes are likely 5233 opposite 2353.

Most of the time I think I'll need the A onside and to guess LHO's doubleton trump honour. There's a small extra chance by playing spades first. Say I play a to the T and A/K. Now if they don't switch to clubs I can win the diamond return (say), play another to LHO's top honour, win the return (or the second if necessary), ruff the diamond in dummy and play the Q, discarding a when RHO ruffs in. He's endplayed even without the K, as his trump switch would set up an entry with dummy's Q to play towards the K. This gains as long as hearts break 2-3, regardless of how the honours are split. If something goes wrong (RHO has two honours to the A/K/J, or they switch to a ) I'll try and guess LHO's doubleton honour. I think the HCP split is more likely to be 8-14 or 9-13 than 10-12.

The alternative is to play RHO for KJx and to eventually be able to force them to lead clubs. Maybe A, Q and K, K, ruff, TA, to T. If RHO wins J and unblocks the other honour - unlucky. Otherwise one of them will be forced to play a club, even if you need to discard once on their winner. I prefer the first line of playing a at trick two. Possibly I'm missing a way of combining the two lines.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users