Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alias changing

#1 User is offline   Lovely007 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-21, 01:26

I really feel that there should be a ruling for players that play in the same pay tournaments consistently and always win to change alias when players know they cannot beat then through slower servers or other wise so they do not enter?
The player then comes back with a different alias and it starts all over again.
I have seen a number of players doing this. I feel its a form of cheating. Keep the same alias when playing in the same tourneys. I have no problem with them winning but feel this is very underhand and has taken away the freedom to choose?

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-October-21, 01:44

I'm not certain that I understand your post here. Are you saying;

* Some players always win certain tournaments.
* Other players stop joining tournaments because of these repeated winners
* The winners then change their BBO Id's so that they can join these tournaments 'anonymously', and won't deter others from joining.
* You don't like these winners changing their ID and returning to win more tournaments under another ID.
* You don't mind them winning but it has taken away a freedom to choose.
I assume you mean the choice to play in tournaments these 'winners' join, or not?

Does this really happen ? Perhaps the repeated winners are using more than pure bridge skills,
are picked up on the TD's radar, banned and come back under another ID. What ever is causing it,
advise the TD to restrict the tournament to "no enemies" & "no new members"

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-21, 03:15

I think she's talking about various types of robot tournaments (hosted by BBO). Which tourneys, Lovely, can you be more specific?

#4 User is offline   Lovely007 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-October-21, 05:19

yes thats what I mean. They are the GIB pay tourneys. I play bingo as I find it fun for a change from normal bridge. I pop in and out as I work. some players are always there 24/7 thats ok I am glad they are happy.But I have noticed some are not playing and new ones have come in with very few log ons and keep winning one after the other. Its very easy to tell its a new alias of a regular player. Its impossible to win bingo as a beginner it needs practice and of course a fast server really helps. I did speak to a couple of new players and they wont ansa me lol? My point is if this is happening can BBo not implement something to stop this happening and players stick to one alias in a regular tourney. Then at least the weaker players have a choice as no one wants to throw money down the drain when they know they cannot beat some players. Some players leave when they see my name but at least they can see me :)
This is ansa to Diana Eva also.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-21, 23:26

So you don't want to play in a tournament if you have to play against one of the good players? And you think BBO should help you avoid playing against good players?

While there may be good reasons for us to stop people from creating new handles, I don't think this is one of them.

#6 User is offline   Lovely007 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-October-26, 02:00

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-21, 23:26, said:

So you don't want to play in a tournament if you have to play against one of the good players? And you think BBO should help you avoid playing against good players?

While there may be good reasons for us to stop people from creating new handles, I don't think this is one of them.

#7 User is offline   Lovely007 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-October-26, 02:06

Please read posting correctly bar mar I am one of the good players.I am trying to protect REAL beginners not fake beginners that change their alias so noone knows it is them playing.

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-26, 17:39

REAL beginners should realize that they are unlikely to win any tournament that allows advanced+ players, so that's simply part of registering.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-October-26, 19:34

In the old days, players had a different mind-set. Beginners relished the prospect of playing against the likes of Belladonna, Trezel, Reese, and Kelsey,. Nevertheless, Lovely is right in the context of modern Bridge -- with stratified events and the like to ensure that nobody plays outside their comfort-zone. A beginner has little chance of winning against experienced players but even less chance against experts and it is fair that s/he should know whom s/he is up against.
Perhaps this is another argument for a rating system :)
Wash my mouth out with carbolic :(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users