• You cannot reply to this topic

Is there an expert consensus?

#1 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-16, 12:05

1D p 3NT p
4C?

What does 4c mean in a 2/1 std. american context?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-16, 12:54

I don't recall seeing this sequence, but I would expect as close to unanimity as one is ever going to see.

4 is natural and forcing.

Responder is marked, in most methods, with at least a 4 card minor....I suppose he might be 3=3=2=5 with positional major holdings as well as whatever point count is shown in the partnership's methods for 3N.

Opener has at least the values to play 4N, and some reason to investigate a minor suit contract....usually a slam.

Btw, if opener wants to ask for keycards, a common approach is what I have seen described as Super Gerber....a jump to 5 over a 'to play' 3N, such as this one.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 13:39

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-March-16, 12:05, said:

1D p 3NT p
4C?

Mikeh is wrong as usual. This means opener has 4+5 and a very weak hand. It is % 100 sign off, opener doesnt want to play game. Responder must pass.

It also means you posted a question in the wrong forum, again. Seriously wtf is wrong with you man ? Anyone who thinks expert consensus is needed for this bid, needs to make a quick trip to N/B forums and stay there for about a decade before he posts on any other forum imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 14:04

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-16, 13:39, said:

Mikeh is wrong as usual. This means opener has 4+5 and a very weak hand. It is % 100 sign off, opener doesnt want to play game. Responder must pass.

It also means you posted a question in the wrong forum, again. Seriously wtf is wrong with you man ? Anyone who thinks expert consensus is needed for this bid, needs to make a quick trip to N/B forums and stay there for about a decade before he posts on any other forum imo.

haha. There was an actual debate about this among the "local A players" just putting it to rest, thanks for the troll :)
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-March-16, 14:41

And there was me thinking 4 had to be Gerber :)

Nat, F and suit setting for me so 4 over it would be kickback.

#6 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 15:14

How can it be suit setting? Responder could easily have more diamonds than clubs, as does (presumably) opener. It just shows a big minor two suiter trying for slam.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-16, 15:17

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-March-16, 14:04, said:

haha. There was an actual debate about this among the "local A players" just putting it to rest, thanks for the troll :)

[text deleted by adminstrator for TOS violation]

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2012-March-16, 21:10
Reason for edit: text deleted for TOS violation

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-March-16, 15:44

There was a debate here about that sequence a few years ago on the forums in case anyone wants to try to find it. I am fairly sure justin and fred weivghed in. I would look except am on cell.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-March-16, 16:56

View Postawm, on 2012-March-16, 15:14, said:

How can it be suit setting? Responder could easily have more diamonds than clubs, as does (presumably) opener. It just shows a big minor two suiter trying for slam.

OK, if you respond 3N with diamonds, I bid 2, 3N shows clubs as far as I'm concerned, pretty much guaranteed 3334.

#10 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 17:21

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-March-16, 12:05, said:

1D p 3NT p
4C?

I don't understand why Responder would make this "picture bid" ( hcp-wise ).
If Opener makes sound openings, 3NT = 13-15.
If Opener is one of those 10-11 hcp openers, then 3NT needs to be closer to 15-17.

If Responder does not have a 4 card Major, he could conserve bidding space with
an GF Inverted raise, 2D! ( say he was at worst: 3 3 4 3 ) or GF 2/1, 2C! (at worst: 3 3 3 4 ).

Is Mr Ace joking ? If Responder has a weak 4d/5c ... he just passes 3NT.

I agree w/mikeh : 4C is natural and forcing .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#11 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 18:37

Agree with mikeh - slam try in minors. 4 would set diamonds as suit everything else is in the context of as trumps (cues, RKCB etc...).
YuPosted Image
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#12 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 20:41

Honestly, I don't recall you being this belligerent before.

You're more than welcome to disagree with MikeH, but you didn't have to express yourself in that way. Although I'm sure that MikeH can take it.

What I think REALLY goes beyond the pale is insulting the OP. If you feel that this thread does not belong in Expert-class bridge, then quietly report it, and Ben will move it if he agrees.

There's no need to insult anyone publicly.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-16, 21:04

View PostElianna, on 2012-March-16, 20:41, said:

Honestly, I don't recall you being this belligerent before.

You're more than welcome to disagree with MikeH, but you didn't have to express yourself in that way. Although I'm sure that MikeH can take it.

What I think REALLY goes beyond the pale is insulting the OP. If you feel that this thread does not belong in Expert-class bridge, then quietly report it, and Ben will move it if he agrees.

There's no need to insult anyone publicly.

I am absolutely sure that he meant this as a joke...at least as far as I am concerned.....and I hope it was intended to be a joke re the OP
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 22:03

Timo is a shameless troll sometimes hahaha, well done sir.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#15 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-March-16, 22:10

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-16, 21:04, said:

I am absolutely sure that he meant this as a joke...at least as far as I am concerned.....and I hope it was intended to be a joke re the OP

The first one has to be a joke, the 2nd one was inapproriate even if a joke, as there is a zero tolerance issue involved on that one.

As to the question in the OP, it is slam try, 2nd suit. No it is not gerber, although many very good partnerships will play a jump to 5 (not a simple 4 bid as here) as "super gerber".
--Ben--

#16 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-16, 23:21

The first thread that I open in this new Expert forum and it is this.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-17, 01:45

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-16, 21:04, said:

Thanks for the defense Mike, i couldnt decide which one is more funny, this topic or the fact that there are people who can not see what you saw immediately....but whatever... :D

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2012-March-17, 03:54

Congratulations, we have new troll forums :lol:

#19 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 20:36

clubs

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users