Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Basic Ethics Tournaments

#1 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-18, 22:51

Tonight we played in a few tournaments and I am prepared to quit playing online. The level of rudeness has hit an unacceptable level.

-When we arrive at the table we greet opponents. Very seldom does anyone bother to even say "hi". How terribly sad.

-We play the Polish Club. It is always announced and we have a posted cc (I don't know how to get rid of it). Invariably we hear, "Is Polish Club allowed here?" "Please alert every bid". When we say that not alerted bids are the same as sayc, it goes somewhere over opps' heads. Seldom do our opps announce their system and we presume, at directors' insistence, that when there is no announcement, the system is sayc. That's what we presume. Great.

-We play udca, we lead 2/4. Again, announcement made without any reciprocity. So, at directors' insistence, we assume opps play standard carding.

-Announcement is made by the organizers "English only during bidding and play". I don't think anyone reads those announcements. My partner(s) and I are also bi-lingual and we will be more than glad to reciprocate in Polish. We are really good at it :blink:

Tonight we played against a pair who violated every rule posted. They spoke their language during bidding, during play, they definitely made no announcement regarding the system or carding and they definitely weren't playing standard carding. No idea what system they played as director booted them for not responding. I asked if the director would adjust the score and for the answer I got "I booted them, no adjustment". The very next table, we went through something similar; I just stopped complaining. Then a great table and then mutes again. The worst part of all this is that these players have blank profiles. I wonder if there is a way to disallow any tournament registration to blank profiles.

Since in these tournaments we play for the pleasure of the game, I will stop playing. The lack of ethics really bothers me. I have a feeling that bridge on the whole has lost a huge number of players this way. I might try a few live tournaments and we'll see where it goes. In the meantime, I will come online to kib or to play in a game where I know players. No more tournaments.

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-18, 23:02

The Vugraph is good. The fora are interesting/educational. Set games are usually a good thing. The rest is something other than Bridge.

This site is the best, IMO, but there is only so much they can do. On-line play should never replace IRL, nor should it try to.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-18, 23:38

Were these free or pay tourneys? The standard of conduct is generally better in pay tourneys. The ACBL tourneys are pretty well run. And in my experience, opponents respond to greetings at the table at least 80% of the time.

However, I've always wondered about the "Player of the Month" thing. Although most players in the ACBL tourneys are cordial, there's not usually too much conversation. So what is it that these players do that gets them noticed and nominated for POTM? To me, all the opponents are just random screen names, I never remember them from one game to the next.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-19, 07:30

Ah but you're probably not allowed to play Polish Club in ACBL pay tournaments, LOL.

I agree that playing in the free tournaments is pretty pointless. I recommend getting to know people and just playing set games in the Main Bridge Club, or, once you know enough people, eventually team matches. Of course if you really like tournaments you can come play in the BBF Matchpoint Pairs next Sunday. ;) http://www.bridgebas...tchpoint-pairs/
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 11:22

Just like auto play singleton, there should be auto greetings.
The message can be custom or standard text.

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 11:35

Yeah, for sure that's polite. Nothing would warm my heart more than having a script tell me "hi, op".

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-19, 12:23

Yes, GIB should greet people, as well. They could probably program in a tone of sincerity to the macro.

#8 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 13:21

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-February-18, 23:02, said:

The Vugraph is good. The fora are interesting/educational. Set games are usually a good thing. The rest is something other than Bridge.

This site is the best, IMO, but there is only so much they can do. On-line play should never replace IRL, nor should it try to.

My post was not meant as an indictment of BBO, which is a bridge player's dream come true. It was more of a frustration that our game is suffering.

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-February-19, 13:24

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-February-19, 07:30, said:

Ah but you're probably not allowed to play Polish Club in ACBL pay tournaments, LOL.

I agree that playing in the free tournaments is pretty pointless. I recommend getting to know people and just playing set games in the Main Bridge Club, or, once you know enough people, eventually team matches. Of course if you really like tournaments you can come play in the BBF Matchpoint Pairs next Sunday. ;) http://www.bridgebas...tchpoint-pairs/

Polish club is gcc legal.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 13:26

View Postbarmar, on 2012-February-18, 23:38, said:

Were these free or pay tourneys? The standard of conduct is generally better in pay tourneys. The ACBL tourneys are pretty well run. And in my experience, opponents respond to greetings at the table at least 80% of the time.

However, I've always wondered about the "Player of the Month" thing. Although most players in the ACBL tourneys are cordial, there's not usually too much conversation. So what is it that these players do that gets them noticed and nominated for POTM? To me, all the opponents are just random screen names, I never remember them from one game to the next.

These were free tourneys, very well frequented that offer a lot of a variety of systems and players. We don't play ACBL because our cc is for WJ2005 and we play the 2000 version and I have a devil of a time to delete this cc or to edit it. I'm not very computer savvy, to say the least. Playing ACBL would be great except we like the speedball and explaining our bids and system takes too long. It is only out of consideration for others that we avoid it. The regular ACBL tourneys are just too slow.

#11 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 13:29

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-February-19, 07:30, said:

ACBL does allow the Polish Club system as long as we don't play the Wilkosz convention. Interestingly enough I believe that this ban has led to the Multi convention.

Thank you for the invite :) will check it out.

#12 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 13:30

View PostA2003, on 2012-February-19, 11:22, said:

Just like auto play singleton, there should be auto greetings.
The message can be custom or standard text.

Ha ha ha, this would really add to the overall ambiance of the game.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-February-19, 23:28

Should we also have auto-glp, auto-wdp, etc.?

Is it really courtesy if you're not actually doing it? Do you thank someone when an automatic door opens for you?

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-19, 23:33

View Postbarmar, on 2012-February-19, 23:28, said:

Is it really courtesy if you're not actually doing it? Do you thank someone when an automatic door opens for you?

Not when it opens too slow and I hurt my nose.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-February-19, 23:37

Apparently that problem will still be with us for several centuries:

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-20, 00:49

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-February-19, 12:23, said:

Yes, GIB should greet people, as well. They could probably program in a tone of sincerity to the macro.

"Hello. Would you like to play a game?" - "Joshua", in "War Games" (1983).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   Bad_Wolf 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics, history.

Posted 2012-February-23, 04:27

Harden up, we are not children.

#18 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 05:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-February-20, 00:49, said:

"Hello. Would you like to play a game?" - "Joshua", in "War Games" (1983).

"How about a nice game of chess?"
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#19 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 06:32

View Postdoofik, on 2012-February-19, 13:29, said:

ACBL does allow the Polish Club system as long as we don't play the Wilkosz convention. Interestingly enough I believe that this ban has led to the Multi convention.

Thank you for the invite :) will check it out.

Polish Club 1-level (and 2NT) openings are GCC legal.

Wilkosz is certainly not, but neither are Multi nor the Polish Twos.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users