BBO Discussion Forums: Bid with nothing? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid with nothing?

Poll: Bid with nothing? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

My call is:

1. Pass (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. 2S (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. 3S (15 votes [44.12%])

Percentage of vote: 44.12%

4. 4S (14 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

5. Something else (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-16, 09:09

Matchpoints

What is your call, and your thinking?

#2 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-February-16, 09:22

From the bidding, I place West with 4X, North with 4X, East with 4X and South has 1.

You are vulnerable so I would hesitate bidding too high. Raise the ante and bid 2. Consume some of the opps bidding space. The hand has great cross-ruffing potential.

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 09:24

3 ( weak jump ) .
If the Vul were reversed, I venture 4.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-16, 09:26

3. Normally I would 4 with this shape, but 500 is too likely at MPs.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 09:27

Well you could pull out 4 faster than you can say "opps have game in hearts", but even opposite AKQxx Jx xxx Kxx it's going for 500 and partner may well raise 3S to 4 with that. Hence I should technically pass, but at the table I'd probably bid 3S.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-16, 09:36

This hand is interesting. We have 10+ trumps if partner is an older player but vulnerability and values suggest only bidding 3 since 4 rates to be too expensive. But we can also be fairly sure that the opponents have 4 on. If we do bid 3 then we are probably making sure they play their best contract. Against conservative players I would bid 3 anyway but if I trust them to bid over 3 when it is right it is probably better to start lower, with either 2 or 2 followed by spades later if appropriate. That might just get them to misjudge; on the other hand it might make partner misjudge on defence. Most likely it does not matter though and we'll be defending 4 with partner able to suss out something is funny.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 10:43

I'd bid 4. Partner seems marked with heart length. Even a very modest hand like AKxxx xxxx x xxx is probably down one in 4, and partner could easily have that hand plus an ace or more. Of course bad things are always possible when we jump to a vulnerable game at MP on garbage, but the shape on this hand is extremely promising.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-16, 10:44

View Postahydra, on 2012-February-16, 09:27, said:

Well you could pull out 4 faster than you can say "opps have game in hearts", but even opposite AKQxx Jx xxx Kxx it's going for 500 and partner may well raise 3S to 4 with that. Hence I should technically pass, but at the table I'd probably bid 3S.

ahydra

Where do you find a partner who would raise your preemptive 3S bid to four with that? Actually, that question is not looking for an answer; unfortunately there are lots of players who would. They just wouldn't be partners.

I know at the table I would probably bid a direct 4S with the advancer's hand, but I won't admit it here on the forum. :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 10:52

I'm all in with 4 after flipping a coin with that or pass and let them both think they are facing wasted spades.

Any other number of spades is a waste of time. You are defending 4 period, unless pard bids 4 anyway. Worse you could sucker pard into a double (2) or mark the play (3) without applying useful pressure.

I want to defend 5 (maybe +1?) but if it doesn't work out I don't have to play it.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-February-16, 12:18

Any other vulnerability and I'd insta 4S. At this vulnerability I dial it back a bit on my preempting, so I'm just going 3S
Chris Gibson

#11 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-February-16, 12:24

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-February-16, 12:18, said:

Any other vulnerability and I'd insta 4S. At this vulnerability I dial it back a bit on my preempting, so I'm just going 3S

Same for me.

#12 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-February-16, 12:48

Constructions where partner has Jx of hearts are not so useful, partner is very likely to hold 4 hearts. That makes our hand (and our 5th trump) much better and I'm sorely tempted to bid 4S in spite of the vulnerability. Perhaps 3S is the prudent call anyway.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-16, 13:03

4. That has several ways to win: it may be the right contract; they may defend it undoubled; they may bid 5.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-16, 13:16

At mps it's risky to bid 4S... 3S only for me.

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-February-16, 13:16

If I am totally honest, I have to admit that at the table I would bid 1NT. With a ten-fit in boss spades, five cards in the unbid suit, and a yarb, vulnerable against not, this deal is going to result in a crazy auction. So, I will make a crazy bid.

This may well work out wonderfully, if Opener raises hearts and partner, as expected, has four hearts, as he may well smell a rat somewhere and tread with caution. Better, the opponents might get all screwed up somehow.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 13:31

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-February-16, 13:16, said:

If I am totally honest, I have to admit that at the table I would bid 1NT.

I like that a lot. If it goes something like 2, double to rho's big hand the rest of the auction could be fun and get us out in a lower number doubled than my 4 bid.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-16, 13:54

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-February-16, 13:16, said:

If I am totally honest, I have to admit that at the table I would bid 1NT. With a ten-fit in boss spades, five cards in the unbid suit, and a yarb, vulnerable against not, this deal is going to result in a crazy auction. So, I will make a crazy bid.

This may well work out wonderfully, if Opener raises hearts and partner, as expected, has four hearts, as he may well smell a rat somewhere and tread with caution. Better, the opponents might get all screwed up somehow.

Can I refer you to these two threads, which seem to have been brought back to life with impeccable timing?

http://www.bridgebas...e-for-the-rant/

http://www.bridgebas...irst-then-play/
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-16, 14:03

The psyche of 1N idea calls to mind the old Frances rant post recently resurrected. I don't doubt that this psysche may work against a lot of indifferent players, including self-professed experts, but all it will do is tell good opps what is going on....not right away, but pretty soon. Plus partner may not be clued in and he may start doubling....heck....he SHOULD start doubling on some forseeable sequences.

I'd bid 4.

I think bidding 3 is just pushing the opps to 4, over which, on most layouts, neither we nor partner know what to do. We are, by 3, usually....not always...setting ourselves up to make the last guess.

I've long understood, correctly or not, that one of the important factors to consider when deciding how high to preempt is this consideration of the last guess. If we think, as surely we do, that over 4 P P or Double P 4, that we might belong in 4...then we have to bid 4 now.

It is foolish to assume that the opps always do the right thing. The odds are that one or other of them is looking at a stiff or void spade, and that neither is looking at a spade trick....plus they will know they have a fit and that, at this heat, you have shape...why assume they're going to do the right thing?

If your opps always do the right thing....my advice is to quit playing.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-16, 14:20

I am in for 4S.

While opponents may have no better than two eight card fits, they may well have a ten or 11 card fit in clubs now, and I want to make it as hard as possible for them to find it.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#20 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-February-16, 14:43

Some of you seem to me to be assuming that the only reason for a "psychic" is to mislead the opponents and thereby to cause problems. If you notice, I did not call the 1NT biod a psychic, for a reason. I called it a weird bid.

Some calls (lime this 1NT) are not bid to mislead anyone but rather to kick the auction out of its normal flow, by intention. The reason why I would actually if honest bid 1NT at the table would be for that goal, not for the goal of tricking anyone as to what I held.

An auction very similar to this came up not too long ago against a young player who has more than one national title to his name and at least three world championship titles. Hence, credentials. I made this same 1minor-1-x-1NT call, again not as a psychic but to throw rythm off. The end result was us playing two of our 10-fit doubled, making 11 tricks. The result was silliness, admittedly, but the reason for their mistake was subtle.

Responder had a weak hand with five hearts. Opener had a three-fit. Whether this auction was an exception or whether they generally did not use support doubles or whether Opener had the wrong hand for that, 1NT was passed to Responder, who balanced with a double, undiscussed somewhat, and a struggled auction ended up as I mentioned.

When you raise to 2, you have what is expected, and the opponents' agreements cater to the expected. When you jump in spades, to any level, the same thing happens. But, when you bid 1NT, the opponents' methods are geared to a different expectation, and you convert their auction out of a situationally-ideal set of methods to a situationally-flawed set of agreements, because the situation is not as expected.

The same type of thing happens with, for example, canape openings. Most structures are geared toward an expectation that Opener has length in the suit he opened. This increases the odds of Opener's LHO having shortness there, and likely length everywhere else, which explains and facilitates the takeout double. If, however, a 1 opening is made with OK diamonds (maybe only 3) but a longer second suit (any), then Opener's LHO has a tendency to more often have a two-suiter (such that two-suited overcalls are very important) or to have a three-suiter with a floating stiff that could be anywhere. In that latter instance, a takeout double only caters to one of four possibilities, such that the condition that suggests a takeout double is changed sufficiently to cause problems. By playing canape, then, you change the conditions that induced the normal structure and leave the opponents in a non-ideal structure (unless they have worked this out).

Suppose, as another example, that you are Responder, partner opens a minor, a takeout double follows, and it is your bid with, say, 1-5-4-3 pattern and weak. If you bid the expected 1, the opponents have a structure geared toward handling that situation, expecting you to have hearts. If, however, you bid 1NT, you have deprived the opponents of space, but more importantly, perhaps, you have forced them into a structure that assumes no major for you. Hence, they have dedicated a call to showing hearts. They also lose the ability to cuebid hearts later, if that is important for them.

I mention all of this because the objections seem to be an assumption that the 1NT call is purely psychic, to mislead, and a "baby psychic" that anyone can figure out, as if that responds to the reasoning. It does not, as the thinking is much more developed and subtle.

I also recall an auction from years ago against two world champions that was identical at both tables, except for two bids. The two changes were the last decision (they got it wrong at our table but our teammates got it right) and my first call. I responded 1NT after 1-1-?, whereas my parallel bid 2. That subtle change affected views and expectations and auction structure sufficiently to change the four-level decision.

So, whereas you might still find the thinking strange and even stupid, please consider that the reasoning is much more developed and subtle than the silly "psychic mislead" that you assume. If you desire to debate the merits of "structural assumption diverting bids," or "SAD Bids" for short, feel free. If the comment or thought is "typical Rexford idiocy," fine.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users