BBO Discussion Forums: Would you open? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you open? A borderline hand in 1st seat

Poll: Would you open this hand? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

What would your action in 1st seat be?

1. Open 1S (43 votes [87.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.76%

2. Open 1H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Open something else (say, a system gadget) (2 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

4. Pass (4 votes [8.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-18, 12:58

Like nearly everybody else, I open 1. How bad would you feel if you passed, and the hand were passed out?!

#22 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-19, 04:52

You should pass. It's very unlikely it'll pass out when others probably have good distribution, too, and then you won't end up in over your head. Even if it does pass out, it's not all that big of a loss. If you open and your partner ends up bidding a slam, you're probably screwed, and you're also screwed in some cases on anything 3NT or higher since he/she'll overrate how many points your team has.

#23 User is offline   DrMunk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-February-19, 05:43

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-17, 12:35, said:

I'm curious to see what A/E players would do in First Seat with this collection:

I have to disagree. This is not borderline. This is a very,very,very clear 1 opening. Good offence, good suits, high ranking suits, good defence, high playing strength. Even thinking about passing this hand is an error in my view.

True, if your partner has a misfitting hand your hand will be a disapointment. But still, you have two aces to him if he ends up bidding a minor suit slam on his own..

#24 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-February-19, 09:56

I'm sorry, but none of this post makes any sense:

View PostAyunuS, on 2012-February-19, 04:52, said:

You should pass. It's very unlikely it'll pass out when others probably have good distribution, too, and then you won't end up in over your head.

Your concession that it might be bad if the deal was passed out amounts to a tacit admission that you want to be in the auction with this hand at some point. Why not simply get in quickly with an opening bid, especially when you have an easy, descriptive rebid? This seems far less risky than waiting until a subsequent round to make your first noise, after letting the opponents exchange information about their own hands and possibly elevating the bidding to an uncomfortable level.

Even if it does pass out, it's not all that big of a loss.

Unless you count the many plus scores your side could have earned by reaching a good partscore (or even game) if you had opened. If everyone else at the table has a balanced ten-count (the most likely scenario for a pass-out), don't you like your chances of making a partscore in one of the majors?

If you open and your partner ends up bidding a slam, you're probably screwed, and you're also screwed in some cases on anything 3NT or higher since he/she'll overrate how many points your team has.

If, after you open the bidding, your partner simply bids a slam with no further input from you, then one of two things is happening: either your partner has an ENORMOUS hand, in which case your two aces should not prove a disappointment; or you have a real problem, namely, a fundamental misapprehension of the purpose of dialogue bidding. Hopefully, your partner will allow you to more fully describe the nature of your hand (spades, hearts, minimum opening bid values but good controls, etc.) rather than deciding on a unilateral course of action.

Your main objection to opening with this hand seems to be that partner will play you for more than you actually have. I think that is erroneous for several reasons, but the main one is that this hand is simply good enough to open. If it doesn't fall within your partnership parameters for opening the bidding, okay, that's fine. (I think it's wrong, and the unanimity of the good players who have posted responses here suggests you may want to reconsider, but that's your business.) But don't let it be because there aren't 13 HCP in the hand; that kind of bean-counting is not very effective on unbalanced hands. Of course there is a risk of getting too high if you open the bidding, but that is the case every time you open anything.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#25 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-February-20, 06:56

In response to Dave...I find opening 2NT or 1NT will get you in more trouble than opening this hand...bad fit, lack of points, ect...but is that a reason to not open 1NT or 2NT?

As said...any open risks a disaster...but not opening in fear of that, is silly.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#26 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-20, 15:25

I would open, but one can probably afford to pass. With this nice hand and the majors, it should be no problem to butt-in later at a safe level.

#27 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-20, 15:57

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-17, 18:31, said:

I miscounted my points yesterday and passed as dealer with 14. Worked out quite well actually. Musta been a good decision.

Getting some mileage out of this one?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#28 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-20, 16:01

Seems like a clear opening bid.

4 controls

LTC of 6

No rebid problems

Both majors

Passing is just wrong, imo. Could it work out badly? Of course. So what?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#29 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-February-20, 16:02

Would anyone's decision be affected by vulnerability and scoring?
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#30 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-February-20, 17:16

Amusingly this came up at the club last night, I opened a somewhat less sound S: -- H: KQxxx D: K9xxx C: QTx on the basis that I'd never get in if I didn't - which was right as it came back around to me at 3S. Worth all the matchpoints because the opponents took a phantom save in 5S (5H was off one on best defence, though you needed to be lucky).

There are more reasons to open vul vs NV imho, with a misfit partner will stop low (probably after 1S - 1NT; 2H)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users