Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is XX mean? partnership agreement

#1 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-09, 21:30

What's your agreement with your partner(or whatever you think is better approach) on XX?

(a)pass=nowhere to run, XX=run, I have weak 3 suiter
(b)XX=opp jokes, don't run even if you bid 3NT based on long minor suit instead of HCP, pass=you can run if you have a long minor and weak
©something else

#2 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-09, 21:34

Assuming the 3nt is a typical long suit with a diamond stopper, I'd interpret 4clubs as it is time to run, pass as being meh and xx as in I think we might have slam but this sounds like more fun.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-09, 21:48

This thread touches on the same question.

Many times a direct 3NT overcall of a 3-level preempt must be attempted as the best percentage action over the long run, but will have a flaw. The 3NT bidder might be considering a run-out if doubled. Partner's redouble (not always successful, of course) should be "It's O.K., stick with it." The rewinder will probably have some nice fillers to make 3NT a good deal.

A few times over the years we have encountered a double of the 3NT overcall which was tactical in nature to get us off our good spot. I am not saying we should be looking for this to happen again, but it might be another reason for the redouble to be to play.

BTW, I do not agree that 3NT is typically bid with a long suit and a stop. Certainly that is one possibility, though. Much more common would be a balanced 18 or so.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-09, 21:52

It makes the most sense for overcaller's xx to be "I'm not sure", but responder's xx to mean, "is making 4 1000 or 1200"?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-13, 08:00

To me XX over 3 NT is always a question mark- but from both the 3 NT bidder and his partner. In this special case, I would prefer Phils idea instead.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-February-13, 17:43

View PostPhil, on 2012-February-09, 21:52, said:

It makes the most sense for overcaller's xx to be "I'm not sure", but responder's xx to mean, "is making 4 1000 or 1200"?

Yes, after (3something) 3NT (dbl) an immediate redouble says "this is making and you are wrong", while I agree there's little point in overcaller's redouble meaning that, he can't be _that_ confident or he was too strong to overcall 3NT in the first place.

This is consistent with my agreements after 1NT dbl P P and 2NT dbl P P - in both cases the NT bidder's redouble means "I have a long suit, should I be running?"

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-13, 17:50

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-February-13, 17:43, said:

This is consistent with my agreements after 1NT dbl P P and 2NT dbl P P - in both cases the NT bidder's redouble means "I have a long suit, should I be running?"

Yeh, that's what it used to mean here, too; but then I realized how many times the double and the pass by the opponents were due to their bidding misunderstanding or misjudgement ---and, now partner is the only one who gets to run from my opening NT, or suggest running from it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users