• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Concentration Level OnLine

#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-09, 07:59

I invited my regular FTF partner to join the team league, happily he agreed.
He made an interesting comment about online play. "My concentration is not as good".

I confess, I had never given much consideration to this, but now that its come up I think perhaps I agree.

Any thoughts?

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-February-09, 08:11

It is true for most people. Alt+tab, spouses, television sets, pets, and cooking are amongst the most likely sources of this effect.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-09, 08:16

For others -- likely a minority (but including me) -- concentration online is easier.

Real-life distractions like opponent mannerisms (snapping cards, fidgeting), background noises in a large room ("Director!"), and having to actually move your eyes more than fractionally to take in cards played, can take you slightly off your game.

I suspect for most it's related to where you play most of your hands.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-09, 08:18

I am playing webgames while playing bridge. Most of the time when I am dummy, but also when declarer tanks and I think I have nothing to worry about.

I tried once to play bridge on another site at the same time but it was really tough.

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-09, 08:53

I have an easier time concentrating online when I arrange to not have distractions around. I like being able to talk aloud about a hand. That said, when I do have distractions at home, I do not concentrate as well.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-09, 09:02

View Postbd71, on 2012-February-09, 08:16, said:

For others -- likely a minority (but including me) -- concentration online is easier.

Real-life distractions like opponent mannerisms (snapping cards, fidgeting), background noises in a large room ("Director!"), and having to actually move your eyes more than fractionally to take in cards played, can take you slightly off your game.

I suspect for most it's related to where you play most of your hands.

This used to be true for me too. Now I find it much easier to concentrate at the club than I do online.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-09, 10:30

Much more difficult to recall the early spot cards online as they disappear quickly.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-09, 10:32

I treat online bridge like a computer game. If I make a mistake, I know I can have another game.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-09, 10:32

View Postgwnn, on 2012-February-09, 08:11, said:

It is true for most people. Alt+tab, spouses, television sets, pets, and cooking are amongst the most likely sources of this effect.

Add:

- my cell phone
- my neighbor's pets
- my offspring
- my *&^#%$ puppy
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-09, 10:35

I think I play worse online, but I tend to play better when I set aside a quiet place and play there rather than in the living room while my SO is watching tv.

The pace of online play is so much faster that I lose track of things and/or get incredibly lazy very fast. The volume of hands and the ability to post-mortem card-by-card, as well as the ability to play with friends halfway around the world, make it worth it though.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#11 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-09, 10:56

playing online is a skill just like any other. the more you practice, the better you get
OK
bed

#12 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2012-February-09, 13:43

“Dad, how you find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the x-axis?”
“Pap, could you bring me a tea?”
“My God this Internet is so slow! Oleg, could you come here and fix it?”
“Woof” (translation: “You need only one hand to play bridge and easily can pet me at the same time.”)
“Dad, what about y-axis?”
“Could somebody answer the f@@@n phone!?”
“Pap, could you bring me a tea?”
“Woof” (translation: “Why did you stop petting me?”)
“I am from Global Help Desk. Sorry to bother you this time we got a call from user…”

Yep, it needs skills to manage concentration during the online play.

#13 User is offline   VMars 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-09, 13:58

JJBR said that it's a skill, the more you practice, the better you get.

I can believe that is true for most people, but it is not true for me. I used to play online more, but now I almost never log in because I just cannot concentrate on only BBO.

What happens to me is that I can turn the tv off, go away from other distractions, but when someone else is taking a while to think, I'm staring at a screen that is doing nothing, and I'm bored. And I cannot control my attention very well (I have ADD), and so my attention wavers. And I have no way to bring it back, because there aren't even the social cues drawing me back in.

At the club or a tournament, there are things happening in the background while someone else is thinking. Or I can move my hand around, which induces thinking in me. Online, I can't shuffle my cards, in fact I have to be careful to keep my mouse away from my cards so that I don't accidentally click on something without realizing it's my turn.

Basically, I have all these coping techniques for playing in person, and none for playing online. But PRACTICING doesn't help me more, finding coping techniques would. I think perhaps taking up drawing or something would help. I see people knitting, and maybe that might help, too. Maybe I'll try that next time.

#14 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-09, 15:40

Also... doorbell ... reviewing screwups on previous hand(s) .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-February-09, 18:53

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-09, 10:32, said:

I treat online bridge like a computer game. If I make a mistake, I know I can have another game.

I find it "feels" like a computer game too.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-10, 02:46

View Postpaulg, on 2012-February-09, 10:30, said:

Much more difficult to recall the early spot cards online as they disappear quickly.

I actually find the reverse is true. In a real game some people turn their spot cards over practically instantly whereas I need a short time to process the information. Online I can keep my mouse somewhere near the bottom right corner and review the previous trick for as long as I need. Yes I could do this irl too in theory but I am sure it would not go down well if I asked everyone to turn their cards back over on several tricks a hand.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-10, 09:14

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-February-10, 02:46, said:

Online I can keep my mouse somewhere near the bottom right corner and review the previous trick for as long as I need. Yes I could do this irl too in theory but I am sure it would not go down well if I asked everyone to turn their cards back over on several tricks a hand.

This is bad for real life bridge. Online, the trick gets instaquitted. In real life I have to keep the card in my hand without turning it over. This is one of the mechanical adjustments you have to make when you go back and forth.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-10, 10:34

To keep concentrated, stay away from browsing when dummy. Speaking from experience here :)

#19 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-February-12, 22:45

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-February-10, 02:46, said:

I actually find the reverse is true. In a real game some people turn their spot cards over practically instantly whereas I need a short time to process the information. Online I can keep my mouse somewhere near the bottom right corner and review the previous trick for as long as I need. Yes I could do this irl too in theory but I am sure it would not go down well if I asked everyone to turn their cards back over on several tricks a hand.

It works just fine F2F, or at least within a club. You ask to see their spot cards every time they turn them over too soon. Eventually they stop turning them over too soon, and even glance up at you to check you've seen them B-)
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#20 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-13, 09:29

View Postgwnn, on 2012-February-09, 08:11, said:

and beer.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users