• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many spades ? 2 different auctions

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-31, 23:02

I appologize if you guys already went over this in past.

2--2
2-2

2=strong art
2= waiting (letme know if it makes difference when 2 is better than 2nd neg 2 if available)
2=nat 5+

How many does 2 show ? I mean i know it is 5+ but is there any situation where you want to bid with 4 or do u prefer it to be 4+ overall ?

Also

1x-(1y)-pass/1z-(1)

How many do you play this 4+ or 5+ ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-31, 23:06

it feels strange, but i think it should be 4+, otherwise responder would need to bid 2NT too often - there's still time to check back for a 53 or 62 fit

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 00:49

For us, I don't know how many spades 2S would show, but it is not artificial. It won't have 2/3 top honors in a 5+suit, nor a 6+ suit with one top and a side prime. We would raise to 3S with 3 of them and let responder worry about how many she has and the hand strength.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   mich-b 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-01, 03:03

For us , 2-2-2-2 shows 5+, we bid 2NT with (balanced) hands with 4 s.

A 1 response to a 1-level overcall implies in our style 5+ cards , though we can occasionally bid it with good 4. (The likelyhood of this is about the same as overcalling on a 4 card suit).

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-01, 04:00

1. 4+
2. 4 +, usually 5+
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2012-February-01, 07:41

1. I pretty much always play Kokish so this hasn't come up in ages but I'd assume 5+

2. I treat it as 5+ but it is often bid with just 4, not with xxxx though. In auction 1C (1D) 1H (1S) I think it always shows 5, you have double for just 4.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-01, 09:04

1. 4+
2a. (3rd hand passes): 4+ (but if playing Raptor or non-forcing advances then strictly 5+).
2b (3rd hand bids 1): 5+

For those promising 5+ in 2a, what would you bid with AKxx/Kx/xxx/AKxx after (1) - 1 - (P) - ? Or perhaps this means you are not playing UCBs. It seems alot easier to bid 1 followed by a diamond ask with this hand and for the immediate cue to show real support than any of the alternatives. In 2b we can double with this hand so promising a 5th spade is not a problem.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-01, 09:29

1. If 2 is just a relay, 2NT is a negative, so 2 shows 4+. What else do you bid on AJxx xx QJx xxxx?
If 2 promises values, there's no need for 2NT to be artificial. Hence you can play 2 as 5+ and 2NT as balanced. It's better to invert these, of course.

2. Four, but you should prefer 1NT if that looks more descriptive. The overcaller should happily raise 1 to the two-level with three-card support.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users