BBO Discussion Forums: lead - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lead is it obvious ?

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-January-31, 03:19

Great article from Kit Corner, i was posting a reply but their site is down now.

1D is 11-13 bal or 11-15.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-31, 06:29

Trump. I think they'll have trouble making this with our side controling the side suits.

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-31, 06:37

My instinct is a heart, but I see a case for the diamond ace and a low club and a trump.

I basically folllow forquets dictum of "What do you mean, why did lead that? I look, I pick I play, then I see what is happening". Which I assume means you just pick a card by instinct when your leading. Its too complicated for thnking about it for a long time to actually improve things. One tends to just fixate on unlikely layouts. Its different if the auction is very revealing.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-31, 07:22

Ops have bid game freely with at most 23 hcp, and likely only 21-22. Also there is no evidence of a strong side suit. All this suggests that they have ruffing values, especially dummy. So I guess I try a trump. On a lucky day partner has the ace and plays another. On an unlucky day we just solved a two-way finesse for declarer, but in that case he might have played partner for it anyway based on the opening bid.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-31, 07:43

Never a diamond. RHO has a stopper and if it is the king we need partner to lead diamonds. Dummy can also easily have a doubleton, that would be behind us.

Never a heart. This risks giving away tricks without much upside.

A club is certainly possible. We may need to take, or set up, tricks here before they go away on the hearts. The 10 makes it relatively safe.

A trump is also possible but they are in what sounds like a 4-4 fit with trumps splitting 3-2. It is not clear that we need to prevent a second ruff.

I would lead a club.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-31, 08:39

View Posthan, on 2012-January-31, 07:43, said:

Never a diamond. RHO has a stopper and if it is the king we need partner to lead diamonds. Dummy can also easily have a doubleton, that would be behind us.

Never a heart. This risks giving away tricks without much upside.

A club is certainly possible. We may need to take, or set up, tricks here before they go away on the hearts. The 10 makes it relatively safe.

A trump is also possible but they are in what sounds like a 4-4 fit with trumps splitting 3-2. It is not clear that we need to prevent a second ruff.

I would lead a club.

I think you are much to harsh on a diamond. A diamond lead, when its right, probably needs to happen immediately, on the other hand clubs or spades or hearts, if we dont lead them now there is a good chance our tricks are not going anywhere opposite two balanced hands. Obviously the downside is that we might give up a diamond trick. But in practice there are a million layouts where ace of diamonds doesnt cost, and partner can be finessed deep enough for all the remaining honours anyway.

While a heart has risks, all leads have risks. Not least among them not leading another suit when its right! I think its hard to forsee what will happen, but I chose a heart because it seems the most passive. Most likely declarer can pick up remaining heart honours anway since partner has opened the bidding.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-January-31, 19:26

BW is still down :( --I was really wrong on this one because i thought the A of D was clearcut. North bid 4S without inviting despite being short in HCP so it suggest, hes a stiff or both M (45,55,54) or that hes got an invite with 5S/6S (bidding 2S over 2red). Since declarer denies 3H north isnt short in H. My thought was that if north has C shortness we have to try for a D ruff and if hes short in D i dont see how we can put this down. Pts are likely to be 11-15-6-8 but if north has 7pts or less hes highly favorite to have a stiff clubs or a 6th spades. Unfortunatly i dont remeber if it was imps or MP.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users