• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gagged/Tablet Mode

#1 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-10, 00:59

One thing I noticed while playing on the tablet was that it was extremely difficult to type. I don't put any of the blame of that with BBO. Tablets are just not great devices to type on. Phones aren't really either. When I logged on, I had several of my friends instantly start typing to me. To be fair, I had not been logged on in awhile and it was nice that they wanted to say hi. The problem was that I was on BBO trying to focus on playing with the tablet.

That lead me to the idea of having a "gagged mode" or "tablet mode" option when logging in. Under this mode, players cannot type. In addition, if other players try to chat with these players, they are given a message that these players are in "gagged mode" so will not be able to respond. I think of this as being similar to the messages that are sent when players are in tournaments, so am hoping this would be relatively easy to implement.

I thought another benefit is for certain team matches or tables where the hosts could have the option of only allowing silent kibitzers.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#2 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-11, 08:11

Possibly....though perhaps there are other ways to solve it.

But on tablet playing - when you try to type, does the dictation thing work like it does when using gmail/google chat etc?
Can that help?
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#3 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-11, 13:10

Rain,

Thank you for your reply. If the google chat works, then it is not an issue to leave things as is. I am not sure how effective it will be, but am willing to try it. In addition to just letting people know that chatting will be difficult/near impossible for me, it is sometimes nice to just log on to play and not chat. It is somewhat akin to logging in as invisible now and being able to play in a tournament without people disturbing me. Most of the time, I do prefer being able to chat, I just would not want to do so on my tablet.

I do think there are added benefits to having such a mode as it is an additional option for a table host and may resolve some issues where table hosts do not want kibitzers to chat. I know I would rather watch the top players and not be able to chat than not be able to watch them at all!
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-15, 13:15

You could just log in as invisible?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users