Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A trivial point

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-10, 00:40

Under the site rules, heading "Courtesies when playing online bridge" we are notified "It is considered a courtesy to ask the other players at a table if it is ok for you to sit down before you take a seat." This courtesy is NEVER observed in practice. Occasionally someone will sit and THEN ask if that was OK.

Anyone who attempts to observe his courtesy to the letter is placed at a considerable disadvantage. By the time that he has formulated the question someone else will have already sat. The disadvantage is exacerbated in the Flash interface due to the failure to auto-screenupdate when someone sits (ie requiring manual refresh).

If the table host is concerned about this courtesy he can set the seat so that permission is required, which then automatically fulfils this function.

I move that this section be amended in line with prevailing practice, but retain the section saying that it is courteous to leave on request having sat without invitation.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-10, 00:52

I am fairly sure that etiquette has become obsolete in this world. Tact is also pretty much defunct.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-April-10, 04:00

The main difference with this example is that in my opinion sitting before asking SHOULD be regarded as acceptable behaviour and no breach of courtesy, particularly if the host has not set the permission required flag, and particularly because of the way that the Flash system operates,
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-April-10, 04:30

I think there are players who ask if they can join. Circumstances matter. If there's a host advertising for a specific profile, or if the table has some of the seats reserved then it would seem polite to ask before sitting. If the table is open for all, it's acceptable to skip the "May I join" part.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-April-10, 05:42

Heh, presumably it is safe to disregard the "Experts++++ please" message in the table description for this purpose

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-April-10, 11:22

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-April-10, 05:42, said:

Heh, presumably it is safe to disregard the "Experts++++ please" message in the table description for this purpose

Only if you are "world class" ;)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-April-10, 22:33

If you use "Help me find a game" you obviously can't be expected to ask before sitting.

#8 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-11, 01:42

View PostCascade, on 2011-April-10, 11:22, said:

Only if you are "world class" ;)

Why Wayne Are you assuming that the 'Experts' only are indeed Experts or merely classify themselves as 'Expert' :P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users