• You cannot reply to this topic

3NT. How should I play it?

#1 User is offline   mangosteen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-March-11, 18:37

IMPS.

North Leads the 8, to the Q with south.

South then returns the 9, plan your play.

Will continue posting full hands and all after some replies :D

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-11, 21:11

mangosteen, on 2011-March-11, 18:37, said:

IMPS.

North Leads the 8, to the Q with south.

South then returns the 9, plan your play.

Will continue posting full hands and all after some replies :D

Can't see any problem with ducking it- North maybe stuck from another lead as he maybe out of diamonds fairly likely as South didn't have enough for diamond overcall or open so probably doesn't have the ace of hearts- good chance of South having the king of clubs as North didn't have enough to takeout double and is short in diamonds so has both majors.

#3 User is offline   mangosteen 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-March-12, 04:37

cloa513, on 2011-March-11, 21:11, said:

Can't see any problem with ducking it- North maybe stuck from another lead as he maybe out of diamonds fairly likely as South didn't have enough for diamond overcall or open so probably doesn't have the ace of hearts- good chance of South having the king of clubs as North didn't have enough to takeout double and is short in diamonds so has both majors.

Surely Clubs is the safest return on any hand? With relatively no entry into dummy(A kinda stuck), there was no point in opening up the spade suit for declarer...

#4 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2011-March-12, 05:40

This can go down when south holds A en North K.
I don't finesse, take A, heart to K which probably wins and finesse in clubs.

When this finesse loses I can only survive when North holds A + K and I will play accordingly.
When the club finesse wins I play a heart to the 10.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#5 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-12, 05:45

there was no point in opening up the spade suit for declarer...

As S could see that N has 5 spades and hasn't led them it seems very natural to open spades from his side cause N could have KQxxx for all S knows.
I ask them about leading agreements and hope to determine from this if 8 is from xx or xxx.
I could play for either xx in N (then I take 2nd diamond, finesse clubs and play a heart toward KQ; I will often win even if K is offside or I could play for K onside (duck a diamond, finesse club, lead heart toward KQ. I will try to guess which way is the correct one once I see the diamond return.

#6 User is offline   mangosteen 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-March-12, 17:24

Yeap, the question that bugged both me and my partner was basically what we should be playing for?

He argued that he was playing the K A both with north, and ducking would give him a 3rd trick from spade if north chooses to take the spade and return the diamond. Then 3,1 and the 5 other tricks from Hearts and Clubs, either from J falling when he leads low to the KQ, or the club finesse to work, or the club to break 3-3.

My argument was over what other entry south had in his hand, if any. I was convinced that south must have another entry in his hand to warrant a lead directing double(Not that true when I think about it now). I thought that it was clear to play him for the A, which he pointed out still required hearts to break 3-3 or the defense still takes 5 tricks before we take 9...

(Only 2 spades, 2 hearts (Supposing J onside covering the 9), 1 diamond, 3 clubs)

There's argument for playing for 4 clubs with KXX onside, but note that we have to switch to the club immediately after the first heart, when the A does not appear from south after 9,J,Q. That fails horribly when hearts DOES break 3-3 with K offside as north can switch to a diamond now before the A is out...

Full hand:

Argh my head hurts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users