Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening Lead Question

#1 User is offline   olegeorge 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-February-15, 14:10

Assume: Matchpoints - common 2/1 - opponents only bid - to a final contract of 2 , 3 , or 4 with a direct bidding sequence that gives you little information about others suits (only other suit bid might be a minor suit opener + 1 + further spade bids if opener didn't open 1. (This question does not relate to non-standard lead practices, fluke situations, weird exceptions or the like - e.g. "normal")

Assume that your hand has: about 5-8 points including: QJx of one minor suit, = xx, and 4/4 in hearts and the other minor suit.

What factors would make you make an opening lead of:

1.) the Queen of the QJ sequence in the minor suit?
2.) a trump?
3.) one of the other 2 suits - and if so how to choose which one?

Please assume that the opponents are reasonably normal, experienced players and your own partnership is similar.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-February-15, 14:27

Would never lead QJx of opener's suit. I try not to lead from QJ anyway without the 10; it seems that I always end up hitting K10x(x) in dummy and Axx(x) in declarer's hand.

If trumps appear 4-4, I probably lead a trump. If the auction was 1S-2S; 4S or something, I'd probably make a more attacking lead, from say Hxxx of a side suit.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users