• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP Memoriam thread?

#261 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-03, 14:08

Doug Engelbart, you're probably using his invention right now.

http://en.wikipedia....uglas_Engelbart

#262 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-05, 06:11

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-July-03, 14:08, said:

Doug Engelbart, you're probably using his invention right now.

http://en.wikipedia....uglas_Engelbart

His "mother of all demos" is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on youtube. According to Wikipedia

Engelbart slipped into relative obscurity after 1976. Several of his researchers became alienated from him and left his organization for Xerox PARC, in part due to frustration, and in part due to differing views of the future of computing. Engelbart saw the future in collaborative, networked, timeshare (client-server) computers, which younger programmers rejected in favor of the personal computer. The conflict was both technical and social: the younger programmers came from an era where centralized power was highly suspect, and personal computing was just barely on the horizon.

I wonder what really happened there and if he ever got past that.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#263 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-July-10, 07:18

Edmund S. Morgan
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#264 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 15:26

Max the Rottweiler
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#265 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-July-14, 17:03

http://www.tvguide.c...th-1067806.aspx

Embarrassing, I know, but I liked Glee...

Alderaan delenda est

#266 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-22, 13:24

Dennis Farina. I loved Crime Story on TV in the late 1980's.

http://xfinity.comca...FoxNews/newest/

#267 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-July-23, 05:09

Mel Smith. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Smith

Got his break in the satirical show "Not the 9 o'clock news" with fellow young comedians Pamela Stephenson (now Mrs Billy Connolly and a psychologist), Rowan Atkinson and Griff Rhys-Jones.

They produced a number of great sketches although many have dated badly since circa 1980.

This satirises the religious outcry when Mony Python's life of Brian was released.

He then went on with Griff to make a further show "Alas Smith and Jones"

In more recent years he was an actor and director.

#268 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-27, 05:01

JJ Cale

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#269 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2013-August-25, 15:32

On his Tuesday day off from the Eccentric, Bob Brinig would get up about 2pm, have a drink go into the kitchen, maybe fry a few onions than return to the lounge and watch TV, then back to the kitchen many times over the course of the day, adding different ingredients to the meal, followed by a glass of his favourite sauce. By 10pm a great meal would emerge, sometimes completely different from what was "planned" at the beginning of the session.

It never occurred to me to cook this way until I read this post last February. I've tried it a few times now including today. Bob Brinig was definitely onto something. Cheers Bob!
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#270 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2013-August-30, 07:19

Seamus Heaney, April 13, 1939 to August 30, 2013

Posted ImageSeamus Heaney photographed in 1989. Photograph: Peter Thursfield/The Irish Times

From "Clearances" which he wrote for his mother after her death in 1984:

She taught me what her uncle once taught her:
How easily the biggest coal block split
If you got the grain and the hammer angled right.

The sound of that relaxed alluring blow
Its co-opted and obliterated echo,
Taught me to hit, taught me to loosen,

Taught me between the hammer and the block
To face the music. Teach me now to listen,
To strike it rich behind the linear black.

I thought of walking round and round a space
Utterly empty, utterly a source
Where the decked chestnut tree had lost its place
In our front hedge above the wallflowers.
The white chips jumped and jumped and skitted high.
I heard the hatchet's differentiated
Accurate cut, the crack, the sigh
And collapse of what luxuriated
Through the shocked tips and wreckage of it all.
Deep-planted and long gone, my coeval
Chestnut from a jam jar in a hole,
Its heft and hush became a bright nowhere,
A soul ramifying and forever
Silent, beyond silence listened for.

#271 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-August-31, 06:53

View PostWinstonm, on 2013-June-20, 06:47, said:

Ba da bing

OMG how could I miss this?

Winstonm
  Group: Advanced Members
             Posted Image

#272 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-August-31, 15:58

I'm gone? Who knew?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#273 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-02, 01:41

Warwick Pitch, founder of the Young Chelsea Bridge Club.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#274 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2013-September-24, 05:55

Ruth Patrick, 105, a Pioneer in Science And Pollution Control Efforts

Posted Image

Dr. Patrick was one of the country’s leading experts in the study of freshwater ecosystems, or limnology. She achieved that renown after entering science in the 1930s, when few women were able to do so, and working for the academy for eight years without pay.

“She was worried about and addressing water pollution before the rest of us even thought of focusing on it,” James Gustave Speth, a former dean of the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, said in an e-mail message.

Dr. Patrick built her career around research on thousands of species of single-cell algae called diatoms, which float at the bottom of the food chain. She showed that measuring the kinds and numbers of diatoms revealed the type and extent of pollution in a body of water. Her method of measurement has been used around the world to help determine water quality.

Dr. Patrick’s studies led to the insight that the number and kinds of species in a body of water — its biological diversity — reflected environmental stresses. That idea became known as the Patrick Principle, a term coined by the conservation biologist Thomas Lovejoy. In an interview, Dr. Lovejoy, of the H. John Heinz III Center for Science, Economics and the Environment in Washington, said the principle can be applied to bigger settings, like an entire ecosystem, and lies at the heart of environmental science.

Dr. Patrick believed it essential that government and industry collaborate in curbing pollution and was a consultant to both in developing environmental policy. In 1975, she became the first woman and the first environmentalist to serve on the DuPont Company board of directors; she was also on the board of the Pennsylvania Power and Light Company. She advised President Lyndon B. Johnson on water pollution and President Ronald Reagan on acid rain and served on pollution and water-quality panels at the National Academy of Sciences and the Interior Department, among others.

#275 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-October-02, 09:46

Best-selling author Tom Clancy has died at age 66

http://news.yahoo.co...-152101522.html

#276 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-October-02, 12:46

View Postmike777, on 2013-October-02, 09:46, said:

Best-selling author Tom Clancy has died at age 66

http://news.yahoo.co...-152101522.html

That makes for a Blue October.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#277 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-October-27, 12:28

Lou Reed, gone for his final walk on the wild side.

#278 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2013-October-27, 21:03

Posted Image
Lou Reed performing in New York City in 2009

“I have never thought of music as a challenge — you always figure the audience is at least as smart as you are,” he wrote. “You do this because you like it, you think what you’re making is beautiful. And if you think it’s beautiful, maybe they think it’s beautiful.”

#279 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-November-02, 07:02

http://www.washingto...rc=nl_headlines

I remember the fall (from Western perspective a fall) of Dien Bien Phu, and of course General Giap was much in the news after we, for reasons beyond understanding, chose to do a sequel. But my knowledge of the details of his life is scant, and this article is a partial correction for that.
Ken

#280 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2013-November-19, 01:52

Posted Image

Mike Cappelletti Sr.

by Henry Bethe Nov. 15
Mike Cappelletti Sr. died at the age of 71. Mike was part of a large group of young Washington area experts in the early 1970s. Among them were, in no particular order, Ed Manfield, Steves Lapides, Parker and Robinson, Joe Kivel, Bobby Lipsitz, Roger Pies (?), Peggy Parker, Kit Woolsey, Mickey Kivel, Mike's wife Kathy, Walt Walvick, and probably several whom I have overlooked or forgotten in the mists of time.

Mike was prominent in local bridge politics which were still in the throes of the breakup between the desegregated Washington Bridge League and the clinging-to-the-past Northern Virginia Bridge Association.

Mike's bridge, from my perspective, was characterized by pragmatic results orientation - but with a lot of emphasis on deception. He often would come back after a KO or Swiss set glowing because he had gotten an extra undertrick or overtrick but ignoring the 800 number or vul game missed.

He was a key participant in two of my memories. Soon after Kitty and I married we went to Washington for a regional and were drafted to participate in an after-session Newly Wed Game. The one question I remember was that the wives were asked whether their husbands would rather have a date with Cheryl Tiegs (the glamor model of the time) or play in the finals of the Spingold. Every wife got it right - and Mike's wife was the only one who selected a date with Cheryl!

The other was in the late 1970s. Chuck Lamprey and I played the Reisinger with Mike and Kathy. We had a mediocre game in the second semifinal and set out for the Denver airport to catch the redeye back to NYC. When we arrived at the ticket counter we had a message: "All is forgiven. Come back."

• 49 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook