• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP Memoriam thread?

#241 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-17, 11:45

View Postmikeh, on 2013-April-17, 10:36, said:

...my point is that we tend to view these things far too simplistically, often overlooking or choosing to remain ignorant of facts that are inconvenient to our preferred point of view.

Not Americans.

#242 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-17, 13:16

my point is that we tend to view these things far too simplistically, often overlooking or choosing to remain ignorant of facts that are inconvenient to our preferred point of view.

View PostTimG, on 2013-April-17, 11:45, said:

Not Americans.

I don't want to start a flame war but I really don't understand this remark. Americans are particularly bad in this respect, Mike's summation of the Castro situation is one example.

Who gave the Afghan mujaheddin most of their weapons ? The US so they could fight the Soviets, this is also largely ignored.

#243 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-17, 13:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-April-17, 13:16, said:

I really don't understand this remark. Americans are particularly bad in this respect.

Sarcasm. I can't speak to the comparison with the rest of the world, but if Americans are not worse than most, that's too bad.

I have some suggestions for which segments of the American population are particularly bad in this respect, but that would surely result in a flame war.

#244 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-April-17, 13:46

View PostTimG, on 2013-April-17, 13:27, said:

I have some suggestions for which segments of the American population are particularly bad in this respect, but that would surely result in a flame war.

I steered well clear of that too. Sorry, I missed the sarcasm.

#245 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-17, 14:17

Rita MacNeill A wonderful singing voice and a generous spirit.

#246 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-18, 10:46

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-April-17, 13:46, said:

I steered well clear of that too. Sorry, I missed the sarcasm.

I recognized it and thought it was an excellent way to accentuate the point.

It's hard not to feel superior when your country was for several generations considered one of the most succesful in the world, and where so many people are still trying to move in that immigration policy is one of the most thorny political issues we have. But everyone tends to view things through their own, biased perspective. To Americans, Russia was "the evil empire" during the Cold War. But I'm sure that they had similar opinions of us (but they still envied our bluejeens).

#247 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-April-22, 11:10

Chrissy Amphlett (Lead singer for the Divinyls) passed away over the weekend. Loved her music. Sad day.
Alderaan delenda est

#248 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-April-24, 15:30

Shakuntala Devi
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#249 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-26, 16:31

George Jones
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#250 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-26, 16:39

View Postjonottawa, on 2013-April-26, 16:31, said:

Weird, my parents saw him live in concert less than three weeks ago.
OK
bed

#251 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-May-20, 16:36

Ray Manzarek
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#252 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-13, 17:22

Miller Barber, 82, Golf Champion With Odd Swing
Posted Image

Barber didn’t seem a prime candidate for pro golf success. He was pudgy, he had hay fever, and his form was ungainly at best.

His right elbow flew outward on his backswing as he raised the club to the outside, bringing it high over his head, the shaft almost perpendicular to the ground. (In a classic backswing, the right elbow remains close to the body and the shaft ends up almost parallel to the ground.) After that he looped the club head inside and produced an orthodox downswing.

Fellow players likened Barber’s contortions to an octopus falling from a tree or a man trying to open an umbrella on a windy day. But he usually got the club face square to the ball, producing long drives and superb iron shots.

“He has a great release through the ball, and that’s one of the most important things,” Arnold Palmer told Newsday in 1989. “And don’t let that muscle tone fool you. He is strong.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#253 User is offline   ahh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-20, 01:09

I am heartbroken James Gandolfini aka Tony Soprano sleeps with the fishes

#254 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-June-20, 06:47

View Postahh, on 2013-June-20, 01:09, said:

I am heartbroken James Gandolfini aka Tony Soprano sleeps with the fishes

Ba da bing
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#255 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-June-20, 09:03

Iain (M) Banks died a couple of weeks ago: I didn't post because I didn't know about it, being on vacation.

An unappreciated writer, Iain excelled in both mainstream (Iain Banks) and SF (Iain M Banks), especially with his series of books based on the Culture. Many people disdain SF as populated by writers of little literary talent who write what is really no more than poorly constructed fantasy (fantasy writing is not the same as SF), but there are a number of writers in the field who possess significant talent. That number has been reduced by (a very important) 1.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#256 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-June-20, 09:37

View Postmikeh, on 2013-June-20, 09:03, said:

Iain (M) Banks died a couple of weeks ago: I didn't post because I didn't know about it, being on vacation.

An unappreciated writer, Iain excelled in both mainstream (Iain Banks) and SF (Iain M Banks), especially with his series of books based on the Culture. Many people disdain SF as populated by writers of little literary talent who write what is really no more than poorly constructed fantasy (fantasy writing is not the same as SF), but there are a number of writers in the field who possess significant talent. That number has been reduced by (a very important) 1.

I'm not sure whether I agree that Banks was unappreciated. Both The Wasp Factory and The Crow Road are fairly well known in the UK.

"Use of Weapons" rates as one of my top 5 science fiction novels of all time. I rate "Last Call", "Declare", and "Startide Rising" in the same category.
Not much else.

Always loved his books. Glad I had the opportunity to drop him a note on his web page and say how much his work meant to me...

It sounds like you might have known him personally. Is this true?
Alderaan delenda est

#257 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-June-20, 09:47

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-June-20, 09:37, said:

It sounds like you might have known him personally. Is this true?

Underappreciated might have been a better word, altho in recent years he did receive more recognition. No, I never met him: there is an outstanding eulogy for him available through the Economist website, and also on Pharyngula, one of my favourite blogs. I wish I had been aware of his illness, and had the opportunity of sending him a thank you for the hours of enjoyment his novels have brought me. I personally found his mainstream novels to be hit or miss, tho that may say more about me than about him. The Crow Road was a favourite of mine and Complicity perhaps my first. The Wasp Factory and The Bridge may be his best known mainstream works, but neither worked well for me.

Otoh, I enjoyed all of his SF.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#258 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-20, 13:13

I have read elsewhere that he just boarded the GSV You're in the Wrong Universe for Fair. I appreciate.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#259 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-20, 13:30

Seymon Deutsch, age 78, multiple national and world champion, frequent partner of Bobby Wolff.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#260 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-June-20, 16:02

View Postmikeh, on 2013-June-20, 09:03, said:

I remember a radio interview with him where he crossed over briefly with the next guest who happened to be Michael Palin, at which point Banks revealed he'd been an extra in the scene at the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail when he was a penniless student.

• 49 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook