BBO Discussion Forums: another defensive falsecard position - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

another defensive falsecard position intra-finesse

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2008-April-30, 18:32

Another post had a trump position where it looked like a possibility to intra-finesse, and it got me thinking as to whether there was good intra-finesse defense that might dissuade declarer from making the right play.

Obviously, if the position is

then it is best to duck the king, but I was more concerned about

or, better yet,

where the play of the jack or ten when declarer leads from the ace might convince declarer to play you for JT tight.

Of course, if declarer has the ten when you have Jx, playing the jack gives declarer an easy run in the suit, and that comes up much more frequently, so playing the J from Jx on the possibility of an intra-finesse is not going to be a percentage play, but playing the ten doesn't seem to cost much in the right situation.

Thoughts?
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-April-30, 18:46

Not to mention he might play you for a stiff J/10 anyway.

When you play small, there's an outside chance he'll try for Kx offside and play for the drop.
"Phil" on BBO

#3 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2008-April-30, 18:56

This is a standard position. It just depends on if you think they are about to intrafinesse. Playing the ten from Tx when they were planning on not intrafinessing is a disaster if they then play you for stiff T. I can only remember making this play once when the circumstances were obvious (partner marked with the king), but the declarer played me for Tx anyways since he was good (if he wasnt good the situation wouldn't exist so...).

It is a possible theoretical play but doesn't come up that often.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users