• You cannot reply to this topic

Does Science Piss Off God? Pat Robertson comments on Dover verdict

#361 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2008-August-24, 21:46

jtfanclub, on Aug 24 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

To me, it feels almost religious to say everything has a common ancestor.

Yes. The Florida statement you quoted is an oversimplification, as are so many statements of that type. And I'm not sure what purpose is served by that particular oversimplification.

On the other hand, I confess that when I was in the corporate world I made the conscious decision to oversimply my own statements quite often, so I'm not the one to throw stones. In business I had learned that (most of the time) introducing nuance or complexity to a group tended to reduce the impact of the main point, and did not convey strength of conviction.

It was my impression that the situation was better in that regard in the academic community. But the standards in the article were for high school students and were the product of a committee, so maybe the oversimplification was intentional.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#362 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-August-25, 04:47

helene_t, on Aug 24 2008, 05:31 PM, said:

Rik: I don't think your experiment will settle anything. As a scientist, I can easily think of a mechanism by which natural selection would favor belief in Creationism and other irrational ideas. Conversely, I am sure a biblical literalist could think of a reason for god to want people to believe in evolution.

As a fellow scientist, I have to agree with you. However, I would think that the simplified reasoning behind my 'experiment', has a stronger foundation than the reasoning put forward by creationists. My 'experiment' will certainly not yield a 100-0 answer, but it was designed to loose about equally on both sides (through mechanisms that you pointed out), making it reasonably 'fair' to both sides of the argument. At least, it seems much fairer than the current practice in the USA.

BTW: I don't think that you should take my contribution to this creationism/evolution debate too seriously, which is why my 'experiment proposal' contained a :) , just like this one:

;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users