BBO Discussion Forums: And now for the next question - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And now for the next question IN a tank?

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-August-22, 07:37

I am about to go off to the Shenandoah for the week-end so I won't be following up here, but I wanted to grab the opportunity to be the first with this:

How many houses do you own?
I'll have my staff get back to you on that.

Is this a Dukakis in a tank moment for John McCain? A guy can own several houses, I don't see it as a problem. A guy wants to run the country but finds "How many houses do you own?" a question that must be referred to staff? I, and I imagine others, have a tough time with this.
Ken

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2008-August-22, 07:47

I don't consider it particularly significant that McCain doesn't know how many houses his wife owns. I doubt that he actually uses/visits many of them. I expect that several properties might be part of a real estate portfolio rather than real living quarters. Why should he bother to pay attention to this sort of stuff?

He might very well get crucified for this lapse, but that's another great example how the media tends to latch onto to completely meaningless crap while ignoring far more significant issues.

Don't get me wrong: I think that the media should be flaying McCain alive on any number of topics - He's a lying weasel who strikes me as genuinely unbalanced. The only thing he seems to stand for is "War with End". Not being sure how many houses the family owns doesn't seem particualry significant in the grand scheme of things.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   RichMor 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-August-22, 08:23

This is a Bush 1 at the supermarket moment. That was an incident long ago when Bush the elder expressed semi-amazement over an automated price scanner at the checkout counter. Then he followed up with a flustered response when asked about the price of bread.

The whole thing showed that Bush 1 was out of touch with the lives of average people.

Seems like the question - how many houses do you and your wife own - was a set up designed to show that the millionaire McCain was not a 'regular American'. When he couldn't answer the question, it was a double shot; McCain is not a 'regular American' with one house plus he's senile and/or evasive.

Perfect.

#4 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:16

My guess is that "regular Americans" wouldn't run for president. And because of the astronomical cost of a campaign, they wouldn't be able to either.

What worries me most that to win the election, the candidates must simplify very complicated situations to something black and white, i.e. they cannot really say what's really important without losing votes.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#5 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:27

This was an awful moment for McCain, but in my mind it's not a sign of elitism (which is frankly a quality I could care less about), it's (another) sign of senility. And that scares me even more...
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#6 User is offline   ASkolnick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:34

No. This is the same dumb liberal reporting that takes a meaningless statement out of context. He may be part of several Real Estate deals that he is unaware of or maybe he understands that answering the question will be panned no matter how he decides to answers it.

Let's give him possible answers:

1) I only own 1 house. To relate to the simple man. Press finds out he is involved in several real estate deals and they say he lied.

2) 2 houses. 1 winter and 1 summer home. They will see he is elitest and can't relate to the common man.

3) 5 houses. Several are part of Real Estate Deals. He is too greedy and just wants money and power.

#7 User is offline   RichMor 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:42

Gerben42, on Aug 22 2008, 10:16 AM, said:

My guess is that "regular Americans" wouldn't run for president. And because of the astronomical cost of a campaign, they wouldn't be able to either.

Yes that's true. But a candidate tries to look like a 'regular American' when the cameras are on. Recall Hillary Clinton having a beer and and a shot with the good old boys.

And most voters accept the fact that a candidate is not just like them. But the voters have a concern when a candidate seems to have no clue about the lives of 'regular Americans'.

It wasn't that Bush 1 didn't know the price of bread or that McCain didn't know houw many houses his wife owns. It was more that they didn't understand why anybody would ask or even care.

#8 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:43

hrothgar, on Aug 22 2008, 08:47 AM, said:

I don't consider it particularly significant that McCain doesn't know how many houses his wife owns.

The real answer to how many McCain owns might be zero. I can easily imagine the home(s) being in his wife's name.

#9 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:44

ASkolnick, on Aug 22 2008, 10:34 AM, said:

No. This is the same dumb liberal reporting that takes a meaningless statement out of context.  He may be part of several Real Estate deals that he is unaware of or maybe he understands that answering the question will be panned no matter how he decides to answers it.

Let's give him possible answers:

1) I only own 1 house.  To relate to the simple man.  Press finds out he is involved in several real estate deals and they say he lied.

2) 2 houses. 1 winter and 1 summer home.  They will see he is elitest and can't relate to the common man.

3) 5 houses.  Several are part of Real Estate Deals.  He is too greedy and just wants money and power.

I am certainly no fan of Democrats or Republicans. But R's constant whining about the media always makes me think of the basketball coach who complains after a game that his team got called for 20 more fouls than the opponents did, without actually stopping to think that maybe they got called for more fouls because .... wait for it .... they committed more fouls!!

By the way, do you actually know that he is part of Real Estate deals that would prevent him from counting to a single digit number, or is that a preemptive excuse just in case you luck out and it happens to turn out to be true?

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:48

Of course it isn't particularly relevant, but the media story on this is only working so well because the implication ("McCain is out of touch with the lives of ordinary Americans".) is very credible.

I find another story a lot more telling, that happened at a speech in front of union leaders 2 years ago:

But he took more questions, including a pointed one on his immigration plan.

McCain responded by saying immigrants were taking jobs nobody else wanted. He offered anybody in the crowd $50 an hour to pick lettuce in Arizona.

Shouts of protest rose from the crowd, with some accepting McCain’s job offer.

“I’ll take it!” one man shouted.

McCain insisted none of them would do such menial labor for a complete season. “You can’t do it, my friends.”

(quoted from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12155322/ )

So McCain seems to be implying that American workers wouldn't take a tedious job for as little as 50 dollars an hour.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:50

TimG, on Aug 22 2008, 09:43 AM, said:

I don't consider it particularly significant that McCain doesn't know how many houses his wife owns.

The real answer to how many McCain owns might be zero. I can easily imagine the home(s) being in his wife's name.

The interviewer correctly asked about how many houses he and his wife own together.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2008-August-22, 09:59

Secretly, the american electorate is yearning for a "common man" as president. A smart, inquisitive, valiant and honest type who will "set things right" and "get the job done".....so that they won't have to....or make too many sacrifices too soon.

Obama has the front/approach/attitude and is the first since Carter and Kennedy to have this kind of appeal.

The forces of darkness will encroach and exploit any and all opportunities. Will he make it past the dirty tricks and the media control? Will he overpower the voting machine rigging? Will he survive election? Will he be allowed to take control? Remains to be seen and only time will tell and its about time.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#13 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-August-22, 10:18

At the Saddleback Church Forum last weekend (about 5 minutes from my house), McCain was asked what he considered a 'rich' person to be. $5,000,000 a YEAR.

I think this statement is more damning than not being able to answer how many houses he owns.
"Phil" on BBO

#14 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2008-August-22, 11:26

TimG, on Aug 22 2008, 10:43 AM, said:

Most of them are in her name or her name and the kids' names.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#15 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2008-August-22, 11:27

Al_U_Card, on Aug 22 2008, 10:59 AM, said:

Secretly, the american electorate is yearning for a "common man" as president.  A smart, inquisitive, valiant and honest type who will "set things right" and "get the job done".....so that they won't have to....or make too many sacrifices too soon.

Obama has the front/approach/attitude and is the first since Carter and Kennedy to have this kind of appeal.

The forces of darkness will encroach and exploit any and all opportunities. Will he make it past the dirty tricks and the media control?  Will he overpower the voting machine rigging?  Will he survive election?  Will he be allowed to take control?  Remains to be seen and only time will tell and its about time.

does this mean that if he loses it will be because of something underhanded?

pclayton, on Aug 22 2008, 11:18 AM, said:

At the Saddleback Church Forum last weekend (about 5 minutes from my house), McCain was asked what he considered a 'rich' person to be. $5,000,000 a YEAR.

I think this statement is more damning than not being able to answer how many houses he owns.

was there anything obama said that you considere damning? (or even danging)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#16 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2008-August-22, 11:29

Did you hear/see this one, Phil, or read it? I caught it on the radio, and it was pretty clearly (to me, anyway) flippant.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#17 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-22, 11:30

cherdano, on Aug 22 2008, 10:50 AM, said:

TimG, on Aug 22 2008, 09:43 AM, said:

The interviewer correctly asked about how many houses he and his wife own together.

Houses in his wife's name may be owned together by them, or may be her separate property.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#18 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-22, 11:31

jdonn, on Aug 22 2008, 10:27 AM, said:

This was an awful moment for McCain, but in my mind it's not a sign of elitism (which is frankly a quality I could care less about), it's (another) sign of senility. And that scares me even more...

More senile than John Kerry's driving the SUV he said he didn't own to his concession speech? (post-called out-explanation: "That's my wife's car.") Sounds familiar...
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#19 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-August-22, 11:54

luke warm, on Aug 22 2008, 12:27 PM, said:

was there anything obama said that you considere damning? (or even danging)

Lobowolf, on Aug 22 2008, 12:31 PM, said:

jdonn, on Aug 22 2008, 10:27 AM, said:

More senile than John Kerry's driving the SUV he said he didn't own to his concession speech? (post-called out-explanation: "That's my wife's car.") Sounds familiar...

Does anyone ever give any answer other than "so what if we are terrible, you are bad too!"??

#20 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-August-22, 12:00

Lobowolf, on Aug 22 2008, 09:29 AM, said:

Did you hear/see this one, Phil, or read it? I caught it on the radio, and it was pretty clearly (to me, anyway) flippant.

No, I wasn't about to spend $500 - 2,000 to help the burgeoning war chest of the Church of Sanctimony.
"Phil" on BBO

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users