• You cannot reply to this topic

middle east

#21 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-July-04, 10:53

Winstonm, on Jul 4 2006, 10:41 AM, said:

You must have misunderstood my intentions. I am all for negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians, but I am also all against negotiations with terrorists.

I believe it was Zionists pre-Israel who killed 200 at the King David Hotel with a bomb. When the terrorists become the country, what then?

how far back do we go? in the usa, there are groups that i'd term 'terrorist', such as the ku klux klan... a country is defined by how it handles such groups... palestine is unique (more or less) in that the governing party is itself a terrorist organization... how would the world view a united states governed by the kkk? probably with as much distaste as most americans do

fwiw i'm in total agreement with roland's position that it's always an error in judgment to negotiate with terrorists... any deal with the devil will come back to bite you in the ass

I expect Syria to finally realize that the endgame is near and the Israelis have the much better hand

syria will not budge because they have the backing of monied interests... they believe they will be secure as long as they can get even a portion of the un on their side, especially countries in the 'security council'... for israel to prevail on this front it will have to act unilaterally... the question is, will it do so? i think it might be a mistake to think it won't
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#22 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-04, 11:02

This reminds me....the USA is in a war, a real war...What does the other side want and why do we not just give it to them......

I must admit I have no idea what the "other side" wants so how do I surrender?

This reminds me of what Israel must feel...just what does the other side want and have they not offered it?

#23 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2006-July-04, 11:04

Walddk, on Jul 4 2006, 03:01 PM, said:

Not that it matters much anyway, sadly, because Hamas doesn't recognise Israel. The Palestinians decided to let Hamas be in charge. It was truly bad for the peace process in the region.

True, but you can neither expect people to vote for the obscenely corrupt Fatah party nor should it come as a surprise that people vote for Hamas as a reaction against an outside opressor.

#24 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2006-July-04, 11:09

mike777, on Jul 4 2006, 12:02 PM, said:

This reminds me....the USA is in a war, a real war...

yes, by definition:

A state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties.
A concerted effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious.

it seems pretty obvious that we are at war and i can't imagine any american denying it
edit: oops, it seems i spoke too soon... either some americans do deny it else sincerely forgot against whom and for what

What does the other side want and why do we not just give it to them...... I must admit I have no idea what the "other side" wants so how do I surrender?

simple, they want us to cease being infidels, to live as they dictate... iow, to cease to exist as a nation

This reminds me what Israel must feel...just what does the other side want and have they not offered it?

see above
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#25 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2006-July-04, 11:15

At its heart, extremism is arrogance, an unquestioned bias that your beliefs are the only ones valid.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#26 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-July-04, 11:26

luke warm, on Jul 4 2006, 12:09 PM, said:

mike777, on Jul 4 2006, 12:02 PM, said:

This reminds me....the USA is in a war, a real war...What does the other side want and why do we not just give it to them...... I must admit I have no idea what the "other side" wants so how do I surrender?

simple, they want us to cease being infidels, to live as they dictate... iow, to cease to exist as a nation

This reminds me what Israel must feel...just what does the other side want and have they not offered it?

see above

Ahh so you are saying they want a one world government where we all live in peace and harmony and we are not infidels..how bad can that be?

Is this not what that little corporal wanted?

#27 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-04, 12:30

"This reminds me....the USA is in a war, a real war...What does the other side want and why do we not just give it to them......"

Remind me again, which countries are we at war against?

Peter

#28 User is offline   Impact 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-July-04, 21:21

pbleighton, on Jul 4 2006, 07:38 AM, said:

"Under these circumstances, when your basic right to exist is denied (and as a race you have seen what happened), peaceful negotiation is not going to lead to anything except your extermination."

This is a nonsensical statement.  You are equating ongoing negotiation with laying down your arms, which I have never advocated.

Aside from the value judgment made in your first statement, just examine the position: one side takes as its base point the destruction and extermination of the other. If you happen to be the "other" oddly enough you might consider that not to be negotiable.- ie a concession that cannot be made so that you can live for another day. If the baseline mentality is maintained any concession is just heading further towards that ultimate losing point. So, until that fundamental change is made (and remember Arafat's Arabic commentary to his people that Oslo was just the start to destroy the Jews), negotiation has a very limited place.

"As for the "Right of Return" and compensation: ignoring for the moment the arguments about the basis and reason that many left (the arab armies sweeping all before them and the desire not to be in the way for some, yes discrimination against others...) it seems strange that the same arab states which scream for a right of return exercised all kinds of expropriation against Jews living in those states following variously 1948, 1956 & 1967 and there has never been any suggestion of compensation.....he who seeks equity, must first do equity."

You are completely missing the point.  I hold no brief for the corrupt (largely U.S. installed and/or supported) Arab regimes.  It is the Palestianians Israel must negotiate with.

So Israel must give to the various Arabs and palestinians but the Arab states owe nothing to the Jews - or indeed to theirown brethren?
Israel took in the Jews from the other states but the Arab states appear to take a delight in distracting their own populations with rages against Israel while providing precious little aid to their Palestinian brethren (withtheexception of bounties for the families of suicide bombers!)

The rest of the Arab world is relevant because, in the absence of a solution to the Palestinian problem, Israel will be subject to a nuclear attack.  This will most likely come from a terrorist group, since if a country did it, it would be subject to horrible reprisal (of course Israel will seek revenge in this case anyway).

This attack is possible even with a generally accepted solution.  It is nearly certain without one.

Israel's position has always meant that one decisive battle could mean its elimination - no matter how many wars it won. Nothing has changed.
Part of being a state is taking responsibility for your citizens and their actions: providing aid (financial and security) not to mention encouragement to terrorist organisations, and then protesting that thestate cannot be held responsible holds no water, and such sophistry should not be permitted to protect them. To such an extent even Dubbya can get it right: and it doesn't matter whether it is the Taliban in Afghanistan, Ghadaffi in Libya, Assad in Damscus, Sauds in Saudi or Ayatallohs in Iran. THe governments are responsible for their citiazens and what goes on and emanates from their borders.

It is interesting that neither you nor any of the other anti-Palestinian posters address either the above scenario or the historical injustice against the Palestinians in this situation.  The Palestinians didn't deserve to pay for Christian (culminating in Nazi) atrocities agains the Jews.  Now they (and the Israelis) are paying for this injustice.  If they don't work it out between them
they will both likely perish.

A few assumptions : anti- Palestinian and "historical injustice against the Palestinians".

In fact, although there has not been a Palestinian state previously (and certainly not an Arab one), by all means let them have a separate state.

On the side of history, you can trace the injustices fgor centuries, but there has been a Jewish presence in the area (and a significant one at that) for thousands of years. Admittedly modern Zionism dates from a much later period - but so what?

What precisely was the nature of the individual injustice of which you speak: 1948partition? Why is or was that an injustice?

You don't undo centuries or millenia at the stroke of a pen calling it "injustice". Every time a conflict has arisen in history, injustice has been done but you can't right all the wrongs or restore descendants to their origins without causing an awful lot of intervening injustice (but then again I don't believe in affirmative action either : as system which merely benefits current groups while paying lipservice to their progenitors).

Regardless of the rights or wrongs, prior to 1948 partition there was a significant Jewish population - and no reason why they should not be self-governing.

BTW if you check your sources I think that you will find that the Jordanians killed more "Palestinians" circa 1970 than the Israelis have overall, but of course that does not seem to count.

When you stack statistics of those killed you take a Western viewpoint conveniently to suggest injustice by loss of life: but it is only one side (the Israeli) which has placed the Western huge premium on individual life. In fact it is percisely that premium and point that they attempt to preserve.

Regards and hoping that a discussion can be kept cordial - and the premises considered with the same rationale that you might accord to different bidding systems...

This post has been edited by Gerardo: 2006-July-05, 03:33

#29 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2006-July-05, 03:35

I modified the message above strictly for formatting, no content changed.

#30 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-05, 06:07

"In fact, although there has not been a Palestinian state previously (and certainly not an Arab one), by all means let them have a separate state."

Disingenuous. The Palestinians had lived in Palestine for centuries, under various oppressors, the most recent of which were the British.

"What precisely was the nature of the individual injustice of which you speak: 1948partition? Why is or was that an injustice?"

No, it started with the the 1922 Mandate For Palestine, which attempted to cut out from Palestine a homeland for European Jews. You can read about it on the Internet, if you like.

"Regardless of the rights or wrongs, prior to 1948 partition there was a significant Jewish population - and no reason why they should not be self-governing."

Jews were one seventh of the population in Palestine. As a parallel, let us suppose an superior power occupied your country, identified an ethnic or religious group comprising one seventh of the population, carved out a section of your country, gave it to them, and invited all members of that group from around the world to move there permanently. Assuming that you were not a member of that group, how would you feel about this?

"When you stack statistics of those killed you take a Western viewpoint conveniently to suggest injustice by loss of life: but it is only one side (the Israeli) which has placed the Western huge premium on individual life."

Nonsense. This is essentially a civil war, with mass murder on both sides.

Here is another perspective on injustice, from the first Prime Minister of Israel, David Ben Gurion, a dedicated Zionist:

"Why should the Arabs make peace? If I were an Arab leader I would never make terms with Israel. That is natural: they think we have taken their country. Sure, God promised it to us, but what does that matter to them? Our God is not theirs. We come from Israel, it's true, but two thousand years ago, and what is that to them? There has been anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing: we have come here and stolen their country. Why should they accept that? They may perhaps forget in one or two generations' time, but for the moment there is no chance."

Peter

#31 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-05, 11:27

Winstonm, on Jul 4 2006, 07:41 AM, said:

You must have misunderstood my intentions. I am all for negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians, but I am also all against negotiations with terrorists.

I believe it was Zionists pre-Israel who killed 200 at the King David Hotel with a bomb. When the terrorists become the country, what then?

Actually, it was the Irgun, who were denounced by many Jewish organizations, including the Jewish Agency (one of the most important Jewish groups in that time. The agency in fact helped hunt down Irgun members) The group that came into power in 1948 was the Palmach, and any more detail woul be another story.

Most "zionists" were appalled by the bombing of the King David Hotel, and that is why the Likud (what the political side Irgun became) did not come into power for a long time. Interestingly enough, it was a Likud PM that made the first deal with a Muslim power: Menachem Begin giving the Sinai back to Egypt.

I just wanted to point out that not all Zionists, just as not all Arabs or Muslims, are alike, even though many people like to paint all of these groups with the same brush.

Another note on that subject: most sources seem to place the number that died in that bomb at 91, not 200. And the Irgun targetted that hotel not because it was a resort site (as the name might imply) but because it was the headquarters of the British in Palestine. Of course, this does not negate the fact that most (if not all, I don't know this detail) of the people killed were civilians, and that this was truly a terror act.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#32 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2006-July-05, 11:57

Impact, on Jul 4 2006, 10:21 PM, said:

pbleighton, on Jul 4 2006, 07:38 AM, said:

"Under these circumstances, when your basic right to exist is denied (and as a race you have seen what happened), peaceful negotiation is not going to lead to anything except your extermination."

This is a nonsensical statement.  You are equating ongoing negotiation with laying down your arms, which I have never advocated.

Aside from the value judgment made in your first statement, just examine the position: one side takes as its base point the destruction and extermination of the other. If you happen to be the "other" oddly enough you might consider that not to be negotiable.- ie a concession that cannot be made so that you can live for another day. If the baseline mentality is maintained any concession is just heading further towards that ultimate losing point. So, until that fundamental change is made (and remember Arafat's Arabic commentary to his people that Oslo was just the start to destroy the Jews), negotiation has a very limited place.

a very important point, and well made... so much so that i doubt if anyone addresses it

Part of being a state is taking responsibility for your citizens and their actions: providing aid (financial and security) not to mention encouragement to terrorist organisations, and then protesting that thestate cannot be held responsible holds no water, and such sophistry should not be permitted to protect them. To such an extent even Dubbya can get it right: and it doesn't matter whether it is the Taliban in Afghanistan, Ghadaffi in Libya, Assad in Damscus, Sauds in Saudi or Ayatallohs in Iran. THe governments are responsible for their citiazens and what goes on and emanates from their borders.

well said, but moot... when the government of the country in question is itself a terrorist organization, one which (as you point out) has as its core doctrine the complete and total destruction of israel and "death to all jews," it has no moral high ground to reign in anyone

#33 User is offline   Impact 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-July-05, 17:55

pbleighton, on Jul 5 2006, 07:07 AM, said:

"In fact, although there has not been a Palestinian state previously (and certainly not an Arab one), by all means let them have a separate state."

Disingenuous. The Palestinians had lived in Palestine for centuries, under various oppressors, the most recent of which were the British.

"What precisely was the nature of the individual injustice of which you speak: 1948partition? Why is or was that an injustice?"

No, it started with the the 1922 Mandate For Palestine, which attempted to cut out from Palestine a homeland for European Jews. You can read about it on the Internet, if you like.

"Regardless of the rights or wrongs, prior to 1948 partition there was a significant Jewish population - and no reason why they should not be self-governing."

Jews were one seventh of the population in Palestine. As a parallel, let us suppose an superior power occupied your country, identified an ethnic or religious group comprising one seventh of the population, carved out a section of your country, gave it to them, and invited all members of that group from around the world to move there permanently. Assuming that you were not a member of that group, how would you feel about this?

"When you stack statistics of those killed you take a Western viewpoint conveniently to suggest injustice by loss of life: but it is only one side (the Israeli) which has placed the Western huge premium on individual life."

Nonsense. This is essentially a civil war, with mass murder on both sides.

Here is another perspective on injustice, from the first Prime Minister of Israel, David Ben Gurion, a dedicated Zionist:

"Why should the Arabs make peace? If I were an Arab leader I would never make terms with Israel. That is natural: they think we have taken their country. Sure, God promised it to us, but what does that matter to them? Our God is not theirs. We come from Israel, it's true, but two thousand years ago, and what is that to them? There has been anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing: we have come here and stolen their country. Why should they accept that? They may perhaps forget in one or two generations' time, but for the moment there is no chance."

Peter

Gerardo,

Thank you for correcting the formatting previously.

Fairly obviously, I do not know how to intersperse the quotation withmy comments to achieve the format. I request your assistance again.

Peter,

THe use of dismissive and derogatory comment such as "disingenuous" does nothing for your argument, but tends to be an attack on the man (as opposed to playing the ball - or merely ad hominem classically).

Your claim of "various oppressors" of "the Palestinians" is interesting.

Firstly, define your "Palestine": do you mean the British mandate following WW1, the Roman colony, Israel plus other areas?

Bear in mind that with the exceptions of the Roman colony and the British mandate, there has not been a single state "Palestine" - or any people who so identified themselves! The concept is a recent one - but that does not make it wrong - just don't try to wrap it in centuries of historical conflict. Otherwise you might as well say that various areas of the Middle East (or the Balkans or Europe or anywhere else) have been conquered and reconquered.....

Similarly when you allege "Jews were one seventh of the population of Palestine" - are you taking that definition of "Palestine" as the British Mandate at the date of partition?

The changing boundaries and carving up of areas into smaller groups ahs gone on for centuries: post WW1 rampant nationalism and self-determination. Post WW2 India and Pakistan andcontinues today with the continuing fragmentation of what used to be known as Yugoslavia (Monte Negro's separation from Serbia being the most recent).

It is a formula for a majority of people of a particular persuasion to obtain autonomy. Whether it is sensible, economically viable or practical is another issue. Pragamatism dictates that it has occurred as a worldwide phenomenon, and that we accept it.

If your point is that there is injustice in the form of drawing borders - you are right: there always will be whenever an artificial distinction is drawn. There will be injustice on both sides of the line.

If your point is as to strict division of territory on per capita basis at the time, again live with it: it doesn't happen. Every chronicle I have read suggests the British did the future state of Israel no favours in its division but I accept that someone will alwaysfeel disadvantaged.

As to your comment about "dividing off one portion of their country":-
a) there was no "country" extant at the time - if anything the "Palestinians" really were no more than Syrians and Jordanians (and let us not examine too closely Jordan and its antecedents !!) . Facetiously, they did not play football as a state, have a separate government or appear at Olympic Games. Realistically there was no single differentiating characteristic to argue that those living in that area were a separate people.

:lol: rightly or wrongly, it happens all the time: break-up of the Austro-Hungarian empire, Ottoman empire, USSR....it is the right of people to form their own groups and secede as they will. It may yet happen in another construct: Iraq. It is not necessarily progress, but self-determination is apparently part of human nature...

c) it is not as if the group annexed all the best areas or valuable economic assets - they certainly did not get oil (blame Moses?).

I suggest what really annoyed many was that land was sold to Jews at what appeared to be a high price for uncultivated and generally believed to be unarable land - which was then rendered arable. THe vendors moved from self-congratulation at their own cleverness to irritation that they had been underpaid. there are few things as annoying as humiliation - and watching your neighbour progress after you had the opportunity for decades but did not avail yourself thereof, tends to be frustrating.

I agree with you and Ben Gurion as to an understanding of their frustration but that does not make it right.

You might note that Ben-Gurion referred to "the Arabs" as opposed to Palestinians.

All sorts of explanations aside from religious ones can be posited: curseof an outsider, uniting your own impoverished populace against an external force, a perceived attack on Western colonialism, distracting your own populations from their own economic woes, support from USSR against a democratic/capitalist foothold in the area, remnants of support of Nazi Germany- and nobody really knows which of those and other influences and their relative extent was dominant or even contributing.

In any event, more than 2 generations have passed but if anything the positions have become more entrenched fuelled by money while keeping the Arab population in comparative penury - perhaps to keep their attention focused?

If I lived in comparable circumstances exposed to continuing propaganda I too might feel as tehy do. I can understand how and why they feel that way - but that does not mean I accept it as logically correct, much less their "solution".

Elianna,

One further point about the bombing of the King David Hotel which certainly fits a definition of terrorism: warning was conveyed to the British in much the same way as the Irish conveyed occasional warning to their victims in England, but the warning was ignored. That does not make it right - or remove it from "terrorist " classification as far as I am concerned - but there was some concern for innocent civilian population evinced, albeit insufficient.

#34 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-July-05, 18:39

Impact, on Jul 6 2006, 02:55 AM, said:

Bear in mind that with the exceptions of the Roman colony and the British mandate, there has not been a single state "Palestine" - or any people who so identified themselves! The concept is a recent one - but that does not make it wrong - just don't try to wrap it in centuries of historical conflict. Otherwise  you might as well say that various areas  of the Middle East (or the Balkans or Europe or anywhere else) have been conquered and reconquered.....

Most of the "nation states" in the Middle East are an artifact of either Ottoman provinces or British / French meddling.

The issue of historic "statehood" is almost irrelevant to these discussions. I couldn't care less if if the "Palestinians" were granted their own state or (alternatively) this territory had been merged into Jordan or Syria.

What I do consider very significant is whether or not the traditional inhabitant of these territories were forcibly dispossed from their lands. In particular, its very hard to defend the Israeli ethnic cleansing campaigns during the 1948 war.

To me, the biggest regret is that the Allies tried to do everything on the cheap in this part of the world. I suspect that the world would be a very different place if some of the funds that the US tossed arround during the Marshall plan rebuilding programs had been used to provide compensation for the "Palestinians".

Pennywise, pound foolish
Alderaan delenda est

#35 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2006-July-05, 19:09

What I do consider very significant is whether or not the traditional inhabitant of these territories were forcibly dispossed from their lands. In particular, its very hard to defend the Israeli ethnic cleansing campaigns during the 1948 war.

By that same token, it is hard to defend the ethnic cleansing done West of the Mississippi by the U.S. cavalry and the early western settlers.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#36 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-July-05, 19:22

Winstonm, on Jul 5 2006, 08:09 PM, said:

By that same token, it is hard to defend the ethnic cleansing done West of the Mississippi by the U.S. cavalry and the early western settlers.

Of course there was even more ethnic cleansing east of the Mississippi.

To be fair those inhabitants did even more ethnic cleansing before Europeans ever arrived. They were not pacifists.

Which reminds me of all the ethnic cleansing the Saxons did, Celts, Slavs, Franks, Vandals, Huns etc etc etc.......

Heck did not the Romans basically wipe the Phoenicians off the face of the earth and then salt the ruins?

#37 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2006-July-05, 19:33

mike777, on Jul 5 2006, 08:22 PM, said:

Winstonm, on Jul 5 2006, 08:09 PM, said:

To be fair those inhabitants did even more ethnic cleansing before Europeans ever arrived. They were not pacifists.

Which reminds me of all the ethnic cleansing the Saxons did, Celts, Slavs, Franks, Vandals, Huns etc etc etc.......

Heck did not the Romans basically wipe the Phoenicians off the face of the earth and then salt the ruins?

Precisely. In my view it can only be deemed "ethnic" cleansing when a sovereign nation attempts to annihilate an ethnic group - otherwise it is tribal brutalism which has been occurring from the beginnings of mankind and cannot be stopped from occurring over and over and over.

#38 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-July-05, 19:39

mike777, on Jul 6 2006, 04:22 AM, said:

Its difficult to provide any kind of excuse for genocide.

With this said and done, most people hope that civilizations matured over time... Part of the reason that the Holocaust is considered with such horror is that a supposedly "civilized" committed an atrocity on such a massive scale.

It igenuous to compare the Punic Wars with 1948
Alderaan delenda est

#39 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-July-05, 19:41

"Your claim of "various oppressors" of "the Palestinians" is interesting.

Firstly, define your "Palestine": do you mean the British mandate following WW1, the Roman colony, Israel plus other areas?

Bear in mind that with the exceptions of the Roman colony and the British mandate, there has not been a single state "Palestine""

This was in fact my point. They are a people who have never been permitted to have their own country. This does not make their suffering and injustice any less real.

"Similarly when you allege "Jews were one seventh of the population of Palestine" - are you taking that definition of "Palestine" as the British Mandate at the date of partition?"

My "allegation" is from the 1922 census performed by the British. You may verify this easily, if you wish.

"If your point is that there is injustice in the form of drawing borders - you are right: there always will be whenever an artificial distinction is drawn. There will be injustice on both sides of the line.

If your point is as to strict division of territory on per capita basis at the time, again live with it: it doesn't happen. Every chronicle I have read suggests the British did the future state of Israel no favours in its division but I accept that someone will alwaysfeel disadvantaged."

This "realpolitik" is quite dismissive of injustice - "live with it". There is resistance to injustice - live with it.

You are also ignoring the elephant in the room - this was carved out not merely for the Jews in Palestine, but for European Jews as well. A mass migration was planned (and it happened). This was not something common in history, as you state it was.

"I agree with you and Ben Gurion as to an understanding of their frustration but that does not make it right."

Says who? You make a "screw it, that's life" argument, and then turn around and say that it is wrong for victims of injustice to fight back. This is logically inconsistent.

"I suggest what really annoyed many was that land was sold to Jews at what appeared to be a high price for uncultivated and generally believed to be unarable land - which was then rendered arable. THe vendors moved from self-congratulation at their own cleverness to irritation that they had been underpaid. there are few things as annoying as humiliation - and watching your neighbour progress after you had the opportunity for decades but did not avail yourself thereof, tends to be frustrating."

There was in fact substantial Palestinian opposition from the start. Your general attitude towards Palestinians in particular and Arabs in general is encapsulated in this comment.

"If I lived in comparable circumstances exposed to continuing propaganda I too might feel as tehy do."

This is totally ridiculous. Don't kid yourself. If you (or I) were either Palestinian or Israeli, you/I would be partisan, with or without what you dismissively refer to as "propaganda". Not necessarily extremist (many Palestinians and Israelis are not), but partisan nonetheless. As proof, how many Palestinians AND Israelis are not partisan to some degree?

Peter

#40 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-July-05, 19:54

Trying to get back to current day.

After Israel pulled out of the Gaza strip over one thousand rockets have landed from it onto Israel, pre 1967 borders.

Again since Gaza is a nation, firing 1000 rockets into Israel what do they want and why do not the Israels give it to them?

I would expect If Mexico fired 1000 rockets into New Mexico we would at least try and find out why and what Mexico wants and give it to them.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users