• You cannot reply to this topic

A whole summer long

#21 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-21, 09:35

View PostWalddk, on 2006-March-24, 14:35, said:

Day: Lords Cricket Ground (Brit Oval in case there is no play at Lords)
Evening: St. John's Wood Bridge Club (London NW)
Night: ...........Wild West End...............................
Fill in the blank yourself. Cricket is out, bridge is not. You may even want to sleep although that would be a shame when you're in London. Great place!

FYP
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#22 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-21, 14:12

Of course all replies represent what the responder likes, and mine will be the same.

I think all of the really great times that I have had were with someone else.

A bike trip with a friend when I was 13. We went up to a park on the St Croix (Minnesota/Wisconsin border) and camped for a while.

Canoeing with some guys in my 20s, as I was finishing my math degree. We were way the hell and gone up in Manitoba. The roads end at The Pas, we took a train up toward Flin Flon, got off and hit the lakes for a couple of weeks. When we got back, the trains were on strike. We hiked the tracks the rest of the way to Flin Flon and flew out. Not everyone's idea of a good time but I loved it.

Traveling in Spain with my daughter. She spent her Junior year in Madrid. Actually I flew to Paris and wandered over to Madrid, then went here and there. The other day someone was speaking of some mountains he saw in Spain while flying over. I said yeah, probably the Sierra Nevada. I skied there when traveling with my daughter.

Traveling around some Aztec ruins with my wife. We went down whatever river it is that separates Mexico and Guatemala and off into some brush etc.

Traveling in Peru with my wife.

Traveling in the Western U.S. with my wife. Including Zion, Phil.

A solo: Island hopping by bike and by ferry in the Puget Sound. There was this really wet ride from wherever the ferry from Orca Island docked on Vancouver Island down to Victoria.

Except for this last, mostly I remember the people I was with. And even with the last, I met some folks.

So enjoy. I recommend company. And congrats.
Ken

#23 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2011-July-23, 15:59

Alas, all this was some 5 years ago. I remember going to Crete for a week or two, and having a great time hanging out in Slovakia. Over and above that my memory is somewhat hazy...

#24 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 17:53

A 3 or 4 day shore leave with my shipmates in Manila. We stayed at the Philippine Plaza Hotel, ate dinner in the Prince Edward dining room (with cigars and brandy after), lounged by the pool, saw the sights in Manila, had a good time with some Australian women we met. I had the dubious pleasure of standing a four hour quarterdeck watch, 1200 to 1600, in 95+ degree heat, while 800 civilians came aboard to tour the ship. With a hangover. After the Command Duty Officer (CDO) changed the watchbill to put me on that watch, instead of the later midwatch (midnight to 4 AM — it would have been considerably cooler). I swore to him that I would get even for that, and someday I will! :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 20:15

Ha! I just saw the thread and never read the date. Crete and Slovakia sound good. The hazy memory maybe sounds not so good :).
Ken

#26 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 21:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-July-23, 17:53, said:

A 3 or 4 day shore leave with my shipmates in Manila. We stayed at the Philippine Plaza Hotel, ate dinner in the Prince Edward dining room (with cigars and brandy after), lounged by the pool, saw the sights in Manila, had a good time with some Australian women we met. I had the dubious pleasure of standing a four hour quarterdeck watch, 1200 to 1600, in 95+ degree heat, while 800 civilians came aboard to tour the ship. With a hangover. After the Command Duty Officer (CDO) changed the watchbill to put me on that watch, instead of the later midwatch (midnight to 4 AM — it would have been considerably cooler). I swore to him that I would get even for that, and someday I will! :P

My grandmother lived in a cave...yes a cave during WWII. in the Philippines.

I try and keep this in mind when people talk about the poor or hard times.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users