Pass or incorrect down 9 for -2300

#1 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-August-11, 05:50

Scoring: MP

Bidding
1NT-2-4!-4-p-p-DBL-p-p-???

Basically, 2D shows 4+ Diamonds and a longer major suit. 4D was alerted (Texas Transfer) and 4H was bid for correction to S (unless the alert was incorrect.....) Before the NT bidders final pass, he was informed that the 4H bid showed a long H suit........just another bridge story, I guess. Judgements required thanks.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-August-11, 07:15

Let me see if I understand.

Some holding the hand shown overcalled 1NT at not vulnerability (as is often said, not vulnerable doesn't mean invunerable) with 2 showing for or more diamonds and either five or more spades or five or more hearts (despite being 3-3 in the majors)?

Assuming that is right, the next player bid 4, which, in theory would have been TEXAS transfer showing a heart suit? The diamond overcaller now "cue-bid" 4H which the overcaller passed.

Ok, confusion and (excuse me), wackness reigned here. I assume if the bidding had been

1NT - 2D - Pass - 4H

4H would be pass/correct showing fit for either major, even a 2H or 3H bid would be the same. The question becomes after the 4 transfer to 4H does it make sense that 4H is still pass/correct? There seems to be confusion over this issue. IF you are going to play this stuff, make sure you get past page one with the convention (BTW, page one probably told you when you promised a five card major, it is good to ahve at least four of them).
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-August-11, 21:21

Sorry for the wackiness. The hand shown was advancer`s. The bid was an attempt to cater to the 4D bid being an error or psyche (either major perhaps) and attempting to show pard that a major suit fit existed for an eventual sac. Can it be interpreted so or should a bid of 4S be made (wise or not) expecting pard`s 5+ major to be spades?
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-August-12, 05:23

If you play in S you will encounter a ruff of a D for sure, and it's not likely you will suffer that if D are trumps, although I suppose it is possible.

Back to the question which seems to be, would I pass 4H dbled expecting partner to pull to S in case my opp made a trasnfer error. No. I think I would have bid 4S and pull to 5D when that gets doubled as a lead directional call in case the opps bid 5H.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users