BBO Discussion Forums: Dummy incorrectly confirms opening leader - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dummy incorrectly confirms opening leader

#1 User is offline   thad3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-August-26, 21:41

After the auction finished with me as declarer, my RHO asked "my lead?" and partner (dummy) nodded her head. RHO then lead and I called the director. It was confirmed that dummy had agreed to the lead from rightie. The director said that the card lead is proper. How should play then proceed? Who plays, and if I do, when is dummy exposed?

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-August-27, 09:11

L47E1 said:

A lead out of turn (or play of a card) is retracted without further rectification if the player was mistakenly informed by an opponent that it was their turn to lead, or play (see Law 16C). A lead or play may not be accepted by LHO in these circumstances and Law 63A1 does not apply.
So, "Did either of [declarer or dummy] claim that it was your lead? Yes? Okay, pick it up, your lead, you are entitled to the information that partner has and wanted to play that card. You [declarer] are not."

Happens about once a year; I know the law. Finding it wasn't immediate.

So, the lead was not proper, we need to fix it; but the defenders, not declarer, are protected.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   thad3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-August-27, 14:08

Thanks! That seems logical.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-August-28, 13:05

View Postmycroft, on 2024-August-27, 09:11, said:

So, "Did either of [declarer or dummy] claim that it was your lead?

In the practical test of my first TD exam I innocently asked that (I think I said "suggest") before launching into the usual rigmarole.
I saw puzzled frowns and wondered if I was doing the right thing (by taking the exam, not by asking what seemed to be an obvious question).

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-August-28, 16:15

View Postmycroft, on 2024-August-27, 09:11, said:

Finding it wasn't immediate.

I'm having trouble finding it, although I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the past. Can you quote the specific law?

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-August-28, 21:53

It's the title of the quote: 47E1. Not so obvious to find because it's not specifically an *opening* lead out of turn issue, so it's not attached to 54 at all. In fact, it's not a *lead* out of turn issue either - although I can't understand how someone could be convinced it was their turn to play after the lead, maybe somebody lost their mind and thought play went counter-clockwise and the opponents believed him - so it's in "Retraction of card played".

Which I will admit is *not* where I'd be thinking to look. Which is, actually, pretty unusual these days; between the index, the cross-references and the law titles (convenience, not Law-in-fact, though, remember) usually you immediately find the right context either first shot or second.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-August-29, 11:45

Law 47E1: Change of Play Based on Misinformation
1. A lead out of turn (or play of a card) is retracted without further rectification if the player was mistakenly informed by an opponent that it was his turn to lead or play (see Law 16C). A lead or play may not be accepted by his LHO in these circumstances and Law 63A1 does not apply.

--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users